Games made with GameMaker then ported for production?

f___a___b

Hey,

Do you know any games that where made in GameMaker originally then ported to something else for the end product? Ported as in the codebase to another language/framework.

All I know of is Spelunky but that is more of a new game.

I'm thinking of using GameMaker for rapid prototyping then looking at what my options are at the time when I want to make it into a full game.

Cheers.

Last edited:

chamaeleon

I feel the topic is putting the cart before the horse. I wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't included the thought of doing it yourself, and the post would have been one just asking about examples.

f___a___b

I feel the topic is putting the cart before the horse. I wouldn't have bothered if you hadn't included the thought of doing it yourself, and the post would have been one just asking about examples.
I'm already using it as my main tool for game development at the moment and have been using GameMaker for years. What I'm thinking of doing is using it as prototyping first. I may still use GameMaker for the end product.

BB Scary

If i understand your question... Hotline maiami, Nuclear throne, Downwell, PixelJunk Monsters ... I played these games in person on PS Vita. All made in game maker studio.
edit: Sorry. You mean game on memory card for game console. My bad.

f___a___b

If i understand your question... Hotline maiami, Nuclear throne, Downwell, PixelJunk Monsters ... I played these games in person on PS Vita. All made in game maker studio.
I should have worded my question better. Ported as in the code the game was made in. Not exported to a certain platform.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
According to the Escapists' Darkest Dungeon documentary, Darkest Dungeon was originally prototyped in Game Maker:

They show some footage from the early prototype, and you can clearly see that the healthbars are drawn with draw_healthbar. As far as I know, it never was released publicly in this form, though.

Cat

Dustforce was originally developed in GameMaker for a competition. The full version was remade in a proprietary engine.

Tower of Heaven was also made in GameMaker, with a Flash version being released a year after the original version.