• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Games for non-gamers

C

crumblewolf

Hi peeps (do cool people still use the word peeps anymore?)

Recently I've been trying to get my partner into gaming as an activity we can both do together. Now she is not a regular gamer or even that familiar with how to use a controller so I'm looking for gaming ideas for people who generally are not gamers.

Basics she like story line and isn't a fan of us being against each other (she likes to win and so when i school her it doesn't go too well haha). So far I've had success playing the walking dead 1/2/michonne on the PS4 with her (story driven and buttons flash up) and firewatch. She liked firewatch but struggled a little with the controls and remembering buttons. (it was so weird seeing someone struggle using analogue sticks, i take it for granted that its easy because i grew up playing with controllers).

So any ideas for games that non games could enjoy? I don't mind if their 1 or 2 player (I enjoy watching her play and helping). Ideally for PS4 or PC as that's what I have but feel free to throw stuff out for others to get ideas as well.

S

SqualidMisnomer

My partner and I used to bond incredibly well over the Lego games - specifically Harry Potter, but apparently they're all fantastic. They're so simple to pick up and play, and the controls are far from confusing. They usually go for a ludicrously cheap price during the steam sales to keep an eye out for that.

Aside from that the Portal series is a fantastic introduction to casual gaming and has a great co-op mechanic in the second game.

You could also pick up a puzzler like Machinarium or something along that line to work through together?

Roa

Nothing beats classics. Even my mom and dad played games like mario kart and galaga. Things like pinball, and then graduate to something like super mario world, which are simple in design, but large in scope.

Yokcos

Nothing beats classics.
Strongly disagree. You undervalue modern conveniences.

In terms of recommendations, Portal is a good bet, especially if they don't already know the premise of the game.
The Witness is also a good choice, good chance for some collaborative puzzle solving there.
Undertale, also a good pick. Strong narrative there, although it relies on deconstructing RPG tropes so a lot of the point of the game may be lost on someone not familiar with RPGs.
Minecraft.

In terms of recommendations, Portal is a good bet, especially if they don't already know the premise of the game.
The Witness is also a good choice, good chance for some collaborative puzzle solving there.
Undertale, also a good pick. Strong narrative there, although it relies on deconstructing RPG tropes so a lot of the point of the game may be lost on someone not familiar with RPGs.
Minecraft.
I strongly disagree with your disagreement. You're underestimating the craftsmanship and incredible elegance of those classic games. The idea that portal is somehow more accessible than freaking Mario World is a little laughable to me, too. Most non-gamers can't even navigate basic 3D spaces, let alone pull off some of the acrobatics Portal asks of you. :p

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Flappy Bird.
Play that and you will actually make her hate video games more then before. And the "bonding" will be "anti-bonding" because you're gonna want to punch each other in the FAEC.

This cool GameMaker game is for Thinkers...

http://games.1-easysoft.com/extreme-atoms/
She is a non-gamer, so a thinker nerd complicated 2D GM game is very boring an uninteresting for those people, even if the game is good.

The Idle RPG 2: Renicipation
Terrible idea, at least give her some graphics!!!

Nothing beats classics. Even my mom and dad played games like mario kart and galaga. Things like pinball, and then graduate to something like super mario world, which are simple in design, but large in scope.
Depends on which classics. More like "nothing beats classics that everyone already knows.", so if you play with her a modern remake of Pacman, or Space Invaders, or anything, that will always be appealing, but the Atari classics will eventually become too boring. So try finding a multiplayer remake, like a Tetris multiplayer or something.
Generally Nintendo games.
Good but incomplete. Play a Mario Kart, Party or New SMB. Mario is appealing to people. But try something like Metroid or a Zelda adventure and they will hook off. So keep it to Mario. Modern mario (Wii, and Wii U), those are more accessible.

The Witness
Depends on the person, if it's a calm person, it's okay.
Depends on the person, this is very nerd-complicated, but also extremely interesting, appealing and sucking-in for a lot of people, so if your gf has an attention span longer then a chicken, definitely give it a try.
Dundertale
Naahhhh.... A good game, but unappealing for newbies....
Minecraft
Depends on what you do in Minecraft. If you plan on playing MC with her, you must present it in an interesting way, say you just boot it up and do a survival, she'll fall asleep, but if you've prepared a world, explain the game quickly and good, and have an "objective" with her, like a building you want to make, then a LAN multiplayer minecraft would be super fun.

The Stanley Parable
...GENIUS!! Super interesting. I wish I could play that game... But I'm not playing it for 4 more years since I want that damn achievement!!!

The Warioware games are a good stepping stone. It uses just about every game mechanic ever made and the games are so simple they barely last five seconds.
Idk...

ET for Atari
If you want your GF to get PTSD, this is the game for you.

My partner and I used to bond incredibly well over the Lego games
Aside from that the Portal series is a fantastic introduction to casual gaming and has a great co-op mechanic in the second game.
LEGO games are the best suggestion here!
And yes, Portal is very good too, if she's a more patient person.
So yes, the LEGO games are so good!!! Appealing for everyone, interesting, perfect for co-op, and has a lot of familliar franchises, is she a Star Wars fan? A Harry Potter fan? A Super Hero fan? A something else fan? Then there's a LEGO game about it!
If she's more intelligent/patient/interested, definitely try Portal.

A

Alessio

Metroid is less accessible. Indeed it's less popular, that's also why we haven't seen a main Metroid game in years. (aside the spin-off Federation Force, which was a very unlucky game, at all respects).

Zelda adventure? mmmh
Not sure if that's accessible enough *LeL*

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
HAHAH!! With "Zelda adventure" I meant a TLoZ game where you go on an adventure, like OoT, The Wind Wanker, or Majora's Masks.
Because those are long, and don't interest you immediately, so it will turn newbies off. Newbies need direct interest in a game, like in Portal or The Stanley Parable, the first minute of the game, and you're already immersed and interested in that world.
Half-Life 2 also does this, but it is very dark, slow sometimes and harder so probably not good at all for a newbie.

A

Alessio

I'd say Zelda games are suitable for teens and up. The ESRB rating is usually Everyone but with a 10+ number on it or a Teen one. The PEGI one can have a 7+ or 12+. Mario games are so simple they're suitable for everyone. Nintendo's mindset is the one to get as many people as possible hooked into their games. That's why i like Nintendo as a company. Maybe some games aren't the most accessible but i believe a newbie can get into playing these, aside from the hard NES games.

Yokcos

I think the best suggestion here has been The Stanley Parable.

I strongly disagree with your disagreement. You're underestimating the craftsmanship and incredible elegance of those classic games.
Craftsmanship and incredible elegance are not monopolised by the games industry of thirty years ago. At worst, modern games are on par with those of yesteryear, but I would argue that things have moved forward since then.

Compare, for instance, Mega Man games with Super Time Force. MM is undeniably clever in its enemy design, level design, the bosses you encounter and the abilities you receive. But then STF is also clever in its character design, the encounters, ways you have to use time travel. It's also a glorious spectacle.
You see the point: Both games here are incredibly well-made. Games of this era are not automatically trumped by those of yesteryear.

Also, I don't recommend Portal for accessibility. I recommend it because any person can immediately tell why it's awesome.

Yokcos

Eh I think Stanley Mode is also superb. I do prefer Raphael Mode though. Can't beat that bicycle maneuver. Did you know, by the way, that you can steal people's kidneys and sell them back to them? You just need to get a scalpel from the hospital of doom and you're good to go.

S

StuffandThings85

Well, if she's into story, then show her Heavy Rain. Even though it's not 2-player, both of you can definitely get involved with the decision making and the overall story. Maybe switch-off characters.

H

heyimdandan

Most non-gamers love Candy Crush. A female friend of mine said she was a gamer and loved her games. I was well impressed. Only later finding that she played Candy Crush and Words With Friends on an iPad. To me that's not serious gaming. But things started to look up... she has an X-Box 360, but her only game is Dance Central.

I despair.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
One of the best coop game for me and my love is the Little big planet serie. Fun, easy, cute and really coop.

M

Misty

Someone who never played First Person Shooters before, is gonna have a tough time with interdimensional Portals.