Discussion games cantina

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Misty, Jan 2, 2019.

1. RichHopelessComposer

RichHopelessComposer Member

That's what I mean by curated store though. Up until recently, Steam only sold what they deemed high quality enough. Consoles still work that way. Are you saying that's a bad model, or am I misunderstanding something?

Misty likes this.
  2. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

I think that's a practical model. And it works. But as I said, that's not the subject of this topic.

I'm only disagreeing with the original suggestion that "bad" games from the general population should be rejected.

That said, Misty's concern is valid. Even Steam itself acknowledged problems with the discovery process, after they opened their doors to everyone. Plenty of good games get swamped by the flood of mediocre games.

But ultimately, I feel that ranking by player ratings is the most practical approach.

3. RichHopelessComposer

RichHopelessComposer Member

@chance: Ah, okay. We're basically in agreement then, though I think Steam needs either much better discoverability/filters or curation again. Browsing the store as it is is an awful experience, at least to me.

4. Ninety

Ninety Member

If you can't afford to pay an artist, you can't afford to have one.

5. Druid TC

Druid TC Yellow Dog

I'm a little unclear on the difference between 'curating' and 'rejecting bad games'. I had been under the impression they were more-or-less the same thing. Is curating where you pick only the best games, and reject even the middling ones?

RichHopelessComposer likes this.
  6. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

I think one normally refers to a "curated store" or a "curated front page" as one where games are pre-approved by the staff before they are accepted. Authors can apply, but acceptance depends on the staff's decision.

Whereas "rejecting bad games" implies that anyone can post their games. But periodically the staff removes games they deem too poor. I believe this latter quality control is what Misty (and perhaps others) proposed.

EDIT: just realized I said this already...
    It's understandable why this might seem desirable. Opening a site to all games makes it difficult to find the good ones. Steam itself has acknowledged problems with the discovery process, since they opened the gates to everyone.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Misty likes this.
  7. Misty

Misty Member

Yep I agree. I am against gatekeeping and moral censorship. Troll games should be allowed if those games are of decent quality.

What I am against is, shameless asset flips and spam games. What I mean by an asset flip is a game that is thrown together in 3 days. I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with using premade assets in games. If you can use premade assets in a coherent way, there is nothing wrong with it. But games that are about the quality of big-rigs, with random assets just thrown around incoherently, should not be allowed on the store.

I think there are a lot of mediocre games on Steam. But sadly, I think these games should be allowed, I don't let my personal tastes dictate policy, even if said tastes are superior to the general population's. When I complain about mediocre games its mostly just a complaint against society, not so much a call to ban games on steam. The games on steam I want gone are the one's I mentioned in the paragraph above this one.