• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GamerMaker 2 Crashed and I lost HOURS of work even though I saved ????

This has happened to me like 3-4 times now, but if doesn't happen every time.

I find a sprite, I copy the file destination, i go to gamemaker, create new sprite, import, and in the instance of file explorer that GameMaker brings up I click on the file destination, and when I hit control V it crashes immediately.

This has happens on two different devices and a couple different version of gamemaker too, I'm currently on the most current version of GameMaker 2.

Okay. I was just posting this so ya'll knew, but I lost the last 4 hours straight of work, what the 💩💩💩💩 ??? I saved several times, how did this happen ????? WTF

I am so mad, I didn't even know the game didn't save until I reopened the program and saw I was back to where I started this morning. I don't understand, I lost several sprites I made and two rooms that were made start to finish. Where is the crash logs, is there any chance I can get back my lost data?

Mert

Imagine, Billy is in office, documenting the last 2 months bill in Microsoft Office.

Suddenly, the computer crashes. Billy doesn't give a damn about it, because he regularly presses that little floppy disc icon.

Billy is happy,
You're not!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I am so mad, I didn't even know the game didn't save until I reopened the program and saw I was back to where I started this morning. I don't understand, I lost several sprites I made and two rooms that were made start to finish. Where is the crash logs, is there any chance I can get back my lost data?
This is pretty much impossible as GMS2 saves the project as you go and is constantly updating files with every change you do (I'm not saying it hasn't happened to you, but it really should be impossible). Also, since 2.2.3, there has been no reports of the GMS crashing on the file explorer. What exact version and runtime are you using? Also, where are you saving/loading the project from? Is it a cloud folder like OneDrive or Dropbox? Can you give exact steps that cause this so we can try to reproduce it?

Hello, sorry about my rudeness earlier I was just really mad in the moment lol. Although Mert I could do without banter. I have over 1,500 hours in GameMaker alone, I know how to CTR + S whenever I stop for a moment, I probably saved 10-20 times in that 3-4 hours.

Anyways, I was sure I was on the lastest version considering it updated fairly recently. Here it is though:
upload_2019-11-8_21-44-54.png

And yeah I too thought this was impossible, which is the main reason I was so mad, like, I literally pressed save, and I've had gamemaker crash a bunch of times and I'm pretty sure it even auto saves? Like I've had it crash and I only lost like 3 letters or one line of code.

But yeah that's the runtime, and basically I clicked the file explorer, and clicked the file destination address bar at the top, and when I pressed CTR + V it crashed. I opened it back up, and everything I'd done since I opened the program had been lost. I even checked all the individual yyp and image files in the project fodler and they said they were last updated like 3 hours prior.

I really am unsure how this happened, is there any crash logs I can send? I'm unaware of where they're located.

My only idea is that gamemaker possibly wasn't running correctly from the moment I started it up, and so it wasn't saving and just eventually crashed.

The project folder is just in my documents, no cloud stuff, although I use Github Desktop to back it up occasionally, but that just adds a new folder into the project folder. I hadn't backed it up/committed any changes to master in the past 5 days.

I was able to redo most of what I lost from memory, but I did lose some stuff, let me know what I can do so this doesn't happen to me or anyone else again.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 16767

The latest GMS2 version seems a lot of buggy. It seems to have problems with the textures. I get a lot of failures to start the game and then I need to restart the program. I'm posting this here since I think it's kind of a similiar problem to yours. But it saves the project and does not crash, however I can't do proper coding like this.

I need to clean the localappdata all the time. Annoying.

The latest GMS2 version seems a lot of buggy. It seems to have problems with the textures. I get a lot of failures to start the game and then I need to restart the program. I'm posting this here since I think it's kind of a similiar problem to yours. But it saves the project and does not crash, however I can't do proper coding like this.

I need to clean the localappdata all the time. Annoying.
That's strange, I'd update Windows all the way and then do a clean uninstall, and reinstall. Could fix it, you can also download a previous run time and use that if you're still having issues. Good luck!