• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Gamepads on Linux

jeff300

Has anybody gotten a GMS game to successfully work with a gamepad on Linux?

I have made multiple games that all work fine with gamepads on Mac, Windows and iOS. They will not work with any gamepad on Linux.

I followed the documentation and have the recommended 3rd party gamepad libraries installed.

All of my gamepads are perfectly recognized by the OS/drivers on my Linux test systems, and by other Linux games.

I've tried with 2.2.1.375 as well as the new 2.2.2.413 with Ubuntu 18.04 to no avail.

Last edited:

jeff300

Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710
Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller with Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows
Microsoft Xbox One controller connected via USB
Sony Playstation 4 controller connected via USB
Steelseries Nimbus
Steelseries Stratus XL
Mayflash Arcade Fightstick F300

All of them are recognized by jstest-gtk, none of them are recognized by my GMS games on Linux. (They all work with my GMS games on Windows and Mac. The Steelseries ones also work on iOS.)

Last edited:
G

Gunhawk

That's a nice arsenal.
I have not been doing Linux builds for a few GMS2 releases now (which in retrospect may have been a mistake).

I tested against
- Xbox One controller via USB
- Mayflash II in xinput mode
- a custom Brook PCB stick in xinput mode

I could not get YYC to work in 2.2.2, it croaks with a yet to be determined linker error.
I could get a VM build, which detects my xbox one controller, but cannot find a mapping for it
("Unable to find mapping for device "Microsoft X-Box One S pad" )
So the default button constants are not working.
Another thing to be aware of is that the default device number rules of windows (12 devices max, xinput on 0 - 3, direct input on 4 - 11) do not apply on Linux.
On this box here there are 32 slots and the xinput ones start at number 19.

So yes, per default this stuff isn't working. I guess a couple of bug reports are in order.

jeff300

Thanks for confirming my findings. Another GMS developer also reported the same findings to me offline.

thom

It's still a problem, the buttons are also assigned wrong on Linux, for example if you press "LT" button it detects "right stick x+".