• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX GamePad Input for shoulder triggers not working

M

mollyb

Hi,

I've been building a game over the last 6 months, testing on MacOS Sierra. My game is setup to receive both keyboard and gamepad input (if a gamepad is connected). My scripts have been working perfectly up until this evening.

After updating GM2 today it no longer recognizes all of the gamepad inputs (xinput). The pad, sticks and buttons are working just fine, but I can't get the shoulder triggers to work. I've double checked my script and nothing has changed (see below).

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

*UPDATE 1/23/18*
When I rolled back to runtime version 2.1.2.172 the triggers worked again. The trigger buttons don't work with versions 2.1.3.187 or 2.1.3.189 (at least how I have them setup).

Code:
///scr_get_input
right_key = keyboard_check(vk_right);
left_key = keyboard_check(vk_left);
up_key = keyboard_check(vk_up);
down_key = keyboard_check(vk_down);
dash_key = keyboard_check_pressed(ord("D"));
attack_key = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_space);
interact_key = keyboard_check_pressed(ord("E"));
pause_key = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_escape);

//Check for gamepad input
if (gamepad_is_connected(0)) {
    right_key = (gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axislh) >= .5);
    left_key = (gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axislh) <= -.5);
    up_key = (gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axislv) <= -.5);
    down_key = (gamepad_axis_value(0, gp_axislv) >= .5);
    dash_key = gamepad_button_check_pressed(0, gp_shoulderlb);
    attack_key = gamepad_button_check_pressed(0, gp_shoulderrb);
    interact_key = gamepad_button_check_pressed(0, gp_face1);
    pause_key = gamepad_button_check_pressed(0, gp_start);
}

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Is your pad an xInput or DirectInput pad (like XboxOne vs PS4 controller)? You can roll back the update to the Runtime from the Preferences (In the prefs, go to Runtimes and install a previous one then double-click it to start it instead of the current one), and then test again and see if it is something that has changed there, and if it is then you'll probably be best filing a bug (supply a projectlink, and give the RunTimes you've tested with that work and don't work please!). If previous runtimes also fail, then it would suggest that something in your code may have changed...

M

mollyb

Is your pad an xInput or DirectInput pad (like XboxOne vs PS4 controller)? You can roll back the update to the Runtime from the Preferences (In the prefs, go to Runtimes and install a previous one then double-click it to start it instead of the current one), and then test again and see if it is something that has changed there, and if it is then you'll probably be best filing a bug (supply a projectlink, and give the RunTimes you've tested with that work and don't work please!). If previous runtimes also fail, then it would suggest that something in your code may have changed...
I'm using a direct input pad (Xbox One).

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll give this a shot today and see if rolling back the update actually fixes the issue or if I did indeed botch something on my end.

How long has it been since you updated?
If it's been a while could it be related to the change in the way gamepads are now read which Russell posted about here?
I just ran the update last night (PST) and in general I usually update within 24 hours of a release. I do appreciate you forwarding that release note as I was unaware of that update. In this particular case I don't think that's where the issue stems from, but I'll keep it in mind.

M

mollyb

I just tried this and it worked! I had to go back to version 2.1.2.172. The trigger buttons don't work with versions 2.1.3.187 or 2.1.3.189 (at least how I have them setup).

I'll file a bug report with all of the necessary documentation. Thank you again for your help!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What platform are you testing on????

XInput controllers did not change (on Windows desktop) but we have fixed issues on Mac... more info pleas

Russell

M

mollyb

What platform are you testing on????

XInput controllers did not change (on Windows desktop) but we have fixed issues on Mac... more info pleas

Russell
I'm testing on MacOS Sierra.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
ah! that bug has been fixed and should be out in the next update.

Russell