• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows GameMaker8 Question For "TalkSprites"

N

NovaFire

I was wondering if I could make something like this in my game. Ie when you interact with a object. This is from a html game which I am not making but am wondering if it is possible in gamemaker. And if so how. Also we have all the sprites and such ready authough we just do not know how to put in such a format.

Attachments

K

Kuro

Yes, making things interact with each other is definitely possible. What specific part of all that is giving you trouble; coding the Interactions themselves, coding the UI for the interactions, coding sprite animations? Without knowing what specifically you need I'm just guessing here, but here's a tutorial on rpg style text boxes that could be adapted to your purpose (by adding a place for pictures), or here's a simpler one. If your events all have a short amount of text then those particular tutorials might be overkil and you might get away with something even simpler that just displays a custom window, string(s) and a picture. It's the sort of thing that can be approached in a number of ways. There are also some assets in the asset store geared towards dialogue that have some features pertaining to interaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NovaFire

well i my idea is to make it have a similar screen from what is shown above ( as in when you interact with an object it will come up with a more detailed picture of the character and their text box, if possible)

N

NovaFire

well i my idea is to make it have a similar screen from what is shown above ( as in it will come up with a more detailed picture of the character and their text box, if possible)

N

NovaFire

here i'll like you the video of what i'm trying to accomplish

W

Wraithious

Hi, there was a post on this subject that's buried 9 pages back that might help you out, there's some good ideas in there: LINK
And if you're talking about actual speech, if you are making it for android I have a text to speech extension really cheap on the market place,
and if you are looking for a speech system for windows witchmaster made one that is really great!: LINK

D

Drenathor

Hi NovaFire,

I'm not sure if this will get you any closer to what you're looking for, but you could check out the video below and see if that's helpful.

Full disclosure though, this is a tutorial that I made and I'm by no means an expert at GML but I posted it on youtube because a few people asked me how I did my dialog and I thought I'd share. There probably are much better ways of doing it, but for whatever it's worth you can at least see if there's anything usable there.

B

Blazing

This is totally just on-the-spot brainstorming here:
When the speech window pops up, you could have 3 sprites: eyes, mouth, and the character sans eyes and mouth. Then make a timeline that animates the eyes and mouth so they sync with the voice acting in that specific piece of dialogue.
Then make a script that will pick the sprites based on who you're interacting with and then pick the timeline based on what interaction and piece of dialog in said interaction is being used.
I have no idea how to code this, but it's probably how I would try to start solving the problem.