• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Gamemaker v1.4 game doesn’t load

I tried testing my game on v1.4999 yesterday and at first it would load and read path.file too long/compile error. Later my game took forever (1 hour) to load but as soon as it began compiling it just stopped. Can someone help me fix this? I’ve been working on my game for way too long for it to mess up now.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Have you tried moving it ("save-as" the project) somewhere with a shorter path name? (E.g. instead of C:/My Documents/My Projects/The Amazing Adventures of Steven And His Forty-Nine Little Puppies/The Amazing Adventures of Steven And His Forty-Nine Little Puppies.gmx, save it as D:/Stuff/proj.gmx) There is a maximal file name length, and the project assets are files.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Could be worth cleaning the asset cache as well (in case it used precompiled stuff with the old illegal paths) and see if it works after that.

Also, try the "check resource names" sanity checker to verify that all asset names are legal (so the paths didn't get cut off or something, causing references to be broken)

I already cleared temp data, cleared the asset cache, cleaned the build (broom icon) & nothing changed. Where can I find "check resource names" sanity checker?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
"Scripts" option in the menu bar --> Check Resource Names.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If it's worked before on an earlier version than 1.4.9999, it could be worth switching back to that version (I personally use 1.4.1773 since every version since has had bugs that caused issues in my existing 1.4 projects). (Even if the download links are hidden in the patch notes, they work if you manually type the version number out using one of the existing download links)

My game worked previously in version 1.4.999 (The latest version). But out of nowhere I received this message and I can’t solve it up until this moment. In the past when I’ve experienced this issue I just save as: to a shorter location & Ive made the project name shorter & its worked, but not this time.

Check Resource Names didn't work. The same compiler issue popped up.

Upon running my game I receive an error message from GameMakerStudio AssetCompiler stating that
The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. But it doesn't describe in detail which sprite/object needs to be adjusted. Need Help!

Compile started: 11:51:51 AM
"C:\Users\justi\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /m=win /config="Default" /tgt=64 /obob=True /obpp=False /obru=True /obes=False /i=3 /j=12 /cvm /tp=2048 /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=9999 /gn="DT" /td="C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local" /cd="C:\Users\justi\OneDrive\Documents\GameMaker\Cache" /sh=True /dbgp="6502" /hip="127.0.0.1" /hprt="51268" /o="C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_54291\gm_ttt_30915" "C:\DT.gmx\DT.project.gmx"
Reading project file....finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... C:\Users\justi\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_54291\gm_ttt_30915\DT.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
*writing audio file Sound_Booing.ogg...
*writing audio file Powerup.ogg...
*writing audio file QB_Hike.ogg...
*writing audio file TD_Cheers.ogg...
*writing audio file Button_Pressed.ogg...
*writing audio file Game_Background_Music.ogg...
*writing audio file crowd.ogg...
*writing audio file Spin_Move.ogg...
*writing audio file Target_Breaking.ogg...
*writing audio file Game_Title_Intro.ogg...
*writing audio file Fireball_Football.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_SS2_Powerup.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_SSJ2_PowerUp_1.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_Final_Flash_Attack_1.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_Instant_Transmission.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_Trunks_Hand_Motion.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_Explosion_1.ogg...
*writing audio file sound_Speed_Up.ogg...
*writing audio file Sacked.ogg...
*writing audio file Rushing_Touchdown.ogg...
*writing audio file Rated_Arcade_Presents.ogg...
*writing audio file Receiving_Touchdown.ogg...
*writing audio file Times_Up.ogg...
*writing audio file Level_Complete.ogg...
*writing audio file Game_Over_Try_Again.ogg...
*writing audio file Bonus_Level_Complete.ogg...
*writing audio file Bonus_Level_Failed.ogg...
*writing audio file Game_Complete_Sound.ogg...
*writing audio file Tackled.ogg...
*writing audio file Bounce_off_Goal_Post.ogg...
*writing audio file sound34.ogg...
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Warning : resource spriteRASportsLogo_spriteRASportsLogo_0 rescaled from 3190,1788 to 1595,894
Warning : resource sprite_Game_Objective_Logo_sprite_Game_Objective_Logo_0 rescaled from 2817,310 to 1408,155
Warning : resource sprite_Rated_Arcade_Sports_Logo_Snow_sprite_Rated_Arcade_Sports_Logo_Snow_0 rescaled from 3190,2020 to 1595,1010
Unhandled Exception: System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
at System.IO.Path.SafeSetStackPointerValue(Char* buffer, Int32 index, Char value)
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.Xml.XmlTextWriter..ctor(String filename, Encoding encoding)
at ..(String , Bitmap , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String )
at ..(String , String , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String )
at ..(String , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String , String , String[] )
at GMAssetCompiler.WADSaver`1.(KeyValuePair`2 )
at GMAssetCompiler.Program..(Object )
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)
Asset Compile finished: 11:53:29 AM
Compile finished: 11:53:29 AM