• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam Gamemaker update can broke my game? (steam version)

djmgames

Hi everyone. I have this question and I think somebody users may have it too.
It's possible the gamemaker updates make my project broken? let be aswer yes, so in this case, it's possible stop automatic update of steam version?
What about choose a specific older version? It's possible this using a steam version?
let's suppose the worst case, how I can prevent lose my project and the several hours worked in that?

Flo

I have no idea but I've seen threads about sudden corrupted projects. Not sure it's related to any update tho, might just be a save corruption.
What I do, is that everytime I start working on a new feature/element, I save my Project to a new name (ie: MyProject_240921), this way, if it gets corrupted, I can reload an old save and don't loose a lot of work.
I never had a corrupted project so far since 1.4.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You should be able to stop Steam from automatically updating games and software. If, for whatever reason, this is not possible, use the stand-alone version.

how I can prevent lose my project and the several hours worked in that?
Backups and source control.

djmgames

I have no idea but I've seen threads about sudden corrupted projects. Not sure it's related to any update tho, might just be a save corruption.
What I do, is that everytime I start working on a new feature/element, I save my Project to a new name (ie: MyProject_240921), this way, if it gets corrupted, I can reload an old save and don't loose a lot of work.
I never had a corrupted project so far since 1.4.
I do this too, but I think this is no safe at all. What about git use in game maker? I never used this tool with gml, although I use in other language projects.

djmgames

You should be able to stop Steam from automatically updating games and software. If, for whatever reason, this is not possible, use the stand-alone version.

Backups and source control.
Stand-alone version is available case I bought the steam version? I don't notice that.

Flo

I didn't really dive into Git but I know that my next projects will use source control.
And yes, you can access the stand alone version in your Yoyo account. (by the way, Steam version is full of bugs, you should know that before getting crazy on why it doesn't load audio groups, or included files, or your gamepad not working...)

djmgames

Thanks. I will change my version. Last question about standalone, it has automatic update? I want stop them.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Mandatory update means that you will be unable to use GameMaker Studio unless you update to this version. This can happen if the licensing mechanism changes or similar fundamental things that may prevent old versions from running. You will not be able to stop mandatory updates under any circumstances.

The last mandatory update was released in 2018, if that gives you any idea about the frequency at which these are released.

djmgames

Mandatory update means that you will be unable to use GameMaker Studio unless you update to this version. This can happen if the licensing mechanism changes or similar fundamental things that may prevent old versions from running. You will not be able to stop mandatory updates under any circumstances.

The last mandatory update was released in 2018, if that gives you any idea about the frequency at which these are released.
Ok, thanks.