• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Gamemaker TV (GMKTV) please help with streaming live TV in a gamemaker game that acts like a real TV

I have questions about a potential tv in gamemaker 8.0

I call it, "Gamemaker TV" "GMKTV" or "(--7) TV" (--7) represents the old gamemaker logo of a red sphere and silver or gold hammer

hi all, if you didn't know I used to be on the old sandbox.yoyogames.com website,
which is why my avatar is a new version of the pacman avatar
I used to have, and if you can search my username "agamecreator" like this or use archive.org you may be able to even download
some of my old uploaded games / projects!

I still use gamemaker 8.0 ever since 2013 I think, which may very well be when my account was created on the old site

also here is someone playtesting Niklas.exe which I had made based off an old victorian xmas postcard, using but not stealing
someone elses snow flakes falling game program, and in the video description, yep it says my username!

I just re-used my old username from my account because the sandbox website some years ago stopped working
as yoyogames was changing to a new platform / website

anyways

if you look here these are youtube videos of my old visual basic TV, which sadly I think somehow it was deleted or non-retrievable
when my usb broke and the laptop that may also have it on file stopped working

the TV hid the video player controls, so it was more like a real TV
and I had a power off and on button and channel buttons like a remote

Can I somehow stream a live video / tv channel on a video player on gamemaker 8.0 ?? Like how I did in visual basic?

I have started with three rooms, the original TV off room, which you only see when you start the game

the TV on room which shows the intro / info TV screen, and will play the channels

the 2nd TV off room, you will see this after every time you turn the TV off, the original room
you wont be able to go back to nor will you need to go back to that room in the game / executable

this is three rooms because of making a button that has two images, a pressed and released sprites

tv forum post image 1.png

tv forum post image 2.pngtv forum post image 3.png

ok for the urls for the TV

with free VLC media player you click open a network stream and click play when you paste the url
and see if it will play

mms:// urls seem to be outdated, but thats mostly what my old visual basic program played off of

m3u8 and this other resource url seem to work, here is a website where from what it helps with it's also saying of how to find this url
from any live video streaming site that streams a m3u8 video, like maybe a tv channel site, which I found when googling live tv channels
live tv news sports or something like this

https://www.alphr.com/download-video-blob-url/

https://afghanlivetvchannels.com/

this is a good source, if you like Afghan TV

these work and the alphr site says how to convert the url, but for testing if it works just press play

Afghanistan International (news)

RTA (sports) (afghanistan)

Alsace 20 (france)

I just want to make another TV program and since I use gamemaker 8.0 now instead of Visual Basic
well you get the idea, and I used visual basic because I was taking a programming class in high school so thats how I ws introduced to that

Last edited:
can someone tell me
if there is a way in gamemaker 8.0

to stream these live video / tv links

you can online by going to their websites of course or by vlc media player

but what about gamemaker 8.0

my youtube videos give
a good example of a visual basic version

and I had mms:// urls in the code
from that, some code that told the program to stream them from this media player thingy you could add to your program

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
a youtube video or twitch livestream, maybe

as for real tv with a tv channel
No. Unless you are in khoots with some cable company but even then
you cant just watch tv from your computer, Tv is setup to be a certian way with RF signals and works (TLDC)

Point is, its practically impossible for your video game to have any sort of way to watch Live TV

but back to something more possible
A twitch stream or somesort

Idk about GM8
but you could probably get this working with Http requests to the site about info of what twitch channel you wanted to watch
then somehow get that data to a media player in your game

basically these "tv channels"
are live streaming online right

in vb I made a program
where their little media player thingy
could live stream mms urls
which worked back then

and I hid the media player controls
with the image of a tv

and made buttons to play a different video "channel" and made a rectangle

thus it resembles a tv remote

I even added in a radio

and a vhs player virtually for nostalgia
but it only played a gif of the vhs blue play screen

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
There is probably a way, but you will have to find or make it yourself. GM 8.0 has been past sunset for more than a decade and no longer has an active community of users.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Just FYI, if I'm not mistaken they sell(or did at one point) PC cards for this purpose. I never dived into details though.
Yes, that's true, I've had one many years ago, back when there was analogue TV. These days this is useless, with digital TVs and online broadcast/IPTV as well.
It is also possible to transmit radio, using an FM receiver card connected to the motherboard bus. Then use a specific antenna.

Would this be a personal project, or would it be distributed? What is the main purpose to this functionality? You could try to stream from a live Youtube channel, using some extension, I think it's more simpler. Streaming to Youtube can be done with OBS Studio.

TheWaffle

Probably the simplest way to achieve this would be to write your own .DLL extension that could access the old microsoft browser .DLL and pass a handle to your GM window to the DLL ...
This would be old/obsolete possibly not compatible with windows 10+ and now you would have to distribute 2 extra DLL with your app. Basically, you would be running a browser withing GM .... GM studio (1/2) have some native support for that, but legacy systems require that old MS DLL ....

or, if you just want to hack something together, Create a web browser in VB or whatever .... and then "Doc" it to GM .... very hacky, but could work too (even today) ...

(I think firefox also has a simular DLL you can use)

D

Deleted member 16767

Speculative answer: They will add presumably this year video recording gml code. Can't say it will help live streaming, but it sure helps with games needing videos in their games, or recording a playthrough and then replaying it.

but gamemaker 8 is old they wont add to it anymore they use studio now

I dont even know where you can get gm8 anymore, so lucky I have it

gkri

Speculative answer: They will add presumably this year video recording gml code. Can't say it will help live streaming, but it sure helps with games needing videos in their games, or recording a playthrough and then replaying it.
I am afraid that they will not make it any time soon, unless I failed to spot it in the roadmap

D

Deleted member 16767

I am afraid that they will not make it any time soon, unless I failed to spot it in the roadmap
It was a leak from the winter Q&A. Can't remember what year and season, but they might have changed their minds since it's not on the roadmap.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If you can re-create your Visual Basic application, you could embed it inside your GM8 window using FindWindowSetParent after starting it up using execute_program.

A "proper" extension might prove difficult since GM8 has little to no extension API - apart of what can be scavenged from GMAPI, you're on your own with this.

sorry dont think that will work, I dont need to port another project if I can just make it in vb

but thanks for the help

trying to re-build in vb now but I am quickly growing tired of the endless errors and complications with this program
it used to seem so easy back then, I think microsoft done screwed up visual basic

I gotta figure 15 new things out from this since all I can find are old videos to help

and if you click on something wrong your whole code is screwed

its a nightmare visual studio is, used to not be, ah the good ol days of easy things are gone
everything is oveer complicating and adding too much nowadays

we need to get back to the simpler ways of life

when you didnt need to give your email address just to check out at a store, you gotta tell the employee what it is,
(seriously I dont need the other customers overhearing my email who knows what someone can do with that)