• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GameMaker Taking Up Too Much Space - Delete Files?

Velocity

Hey,

For a while now, I've been wondering if GameMaker was taking up all the space on my computer, because I kept running out of space and had to delete precious files to make room on it.

So I downloaded this program called Wiztree, which basically tells you WHERE all the data on your PC is, and how much space it's taking up.

And sure enough, GameMaker WAS taking up all the space on my PC.

I found 3 distinct folders though. Backups, Cache, and Projects.

The Backups and Cache folders BOTH take up almost exactly 40 gigs each. And then the Projects folder only takes up about 13 gigs.

I disabled auto backup in GameMaker to save space on my computer, but my new lint report is telling me that I have to re-enable it.

But I SAVE my projects regularly, so I'm not too worried about backing the new versions of my game up.

So my question is...

Can I just delete everything that's in my Backups and Cache folders and just keep the projects folder files?

I would probably keep the most recent Cache version of my game with the lint report in it.

Cheers.

Dmi7ry

You safely can delete cache and backups. But "Projects" directory - I can't advise without see, what exactly is there. If there are any backups, you also can delete these backups.
Just for example: all my GMS projects for last 2 years is less than 3 Gb (I work in GMS almost each day and there were more than 20 games done during this period). Any backups disabled (I use mercurial + bitbucket).