• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows GameMaker Stuido 2 refuses to launch

I have installed the free version of GameMaker Studio 2 from the official website and when I try to run it, it simply refuses to launch no matter what I do. I have tried
-Re-installing the program
- Run it while not connected to the internet
-Changed the default file location
-Used the default file location
Does anyone know what I can do to fix this or will I need to contact YoYo games directly?

Roldy

refuses to launch
This is not much info to go on.

Do you get an error?
Does it ask you for a login?
Does it open and freeze?
Does it show in the task manager and then crash?
Is there a ui.log in program data? Have any useful information?
Is it excluded in firewall or antivirus settings?

This is not much info to go on.

Do you get an error?
Does it ask you for a login?
Does it open and freeze?
Does it show in the task manager and then crash?
Is there a ui.log in program data? Have any useful information?
Is it excluded in firewall or antivirus settings?
It does nothing, no error, no login, does not open, nothing happens, I can keep clicking it with no reaction of any sort. Also no it does seem like there is a ui.log and I have not checked the antivirus settings for it.

Roldy

It does nothing, no error, no login, does not open, nothing happens, I can keep clicking it with no reaction of any sort. Also no it does seem like there is a ui.log and I have not checked the antivirus settings for it.
Does it start a process? Is the process spinning? Look at task manager/activity monitor/top etc..

Is this windows or mac or linux?

Does it start a process? Is the process spinning? Look at task manager/activity monitor/top etc..

Is this windows or mac or linux?
If by process spinning you mean the little circle that spins next to the mouse then yes it starts a process, as far as I can see from task manager though no program starts up in task manager. This is also on windows.

Roldy

Most likely there is something on your system that is conflicting; anti-virus or drivers are the usual suspects.

If your system meets minimal requirements then consider posting contacting YoYo

Most likely there is something on your system that is conflicting; anti-virus or drivers are the usual suspects.

If your system meets minimal requirements then consider posting contacting YoYo

Alright I'll see what I can do then, thank you

S

Sam (Deleted User)

If a dll is not found it wouldnt run at all so no log would be created makes sense actually.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What kind of machine are you running on??? GameMakerStudio 2 needs to be run on a Windows x64 machine (not a 32bit x86 installation or an ARM/ARM64 machine)

If you are on a 64bit Windows installation then I would suggest that you check any Anti Virus software you have installed and reinstall.

Russell

Not sure where it doesn't say that

Edit: lol you said which dll. Not dll at all. My bad.
Man...I honestly don't get what you're trying to say :confused:
Did I messed/missed something?

EDIT:
Dude, I'm dumb 😂 . I was somehow reading that as (telegram version)
System [stop]
dll not found exception [stop]
Instead of
system.dll not found exception
Who capitalizes file extensions, anyway?!? 😂

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

I think i'm more confused than you are now. Quick, before I derail the topic at hand, let's try to help the OP!

too late

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
FYI the System.DllNotFoundException is actually a reference to a C# exception which is saying that the requested DLL is not found.

It is not saying that System.dll is not found...

Without more info it is impossible to say which exception is not found (hence my switch off Anti Virus and reinstall comment)

Russel

FYI the System.DllNotFoundException is actually a reference to a C# exception which is saying that the requested DLL is not found.

It is not saying that System.dll is not found...

Without more info it is impossible to say which exception is not found (hence my switch off Anti Virus and reinstall comment)

Russel
I am not sure which of .dll I am missing but I had messaged support for game maker and they were able to narrow it down to my .NET Framework and that I should look up fixes for the error CLR20r3 but I tried some of the fixes I found on Microsoft support and they did not help.

zameb

Hello!
Do you have Visual Studio installed? Do you need it?
In case you have it, check if it is working.
If it is not working, try to run the Visual Studio installer and run the repairing tool
1630607209291.png

Posh Indie

That Guy
I am not sure which of .dll I am missing but I had messaged support for game maker and they were able to narrow it down to my .NET Framework and that I should look up fixes for the error CLR20r3 but I tried some of the fixes I found on Microsoft support and they did not help.
Did you try reinstalling the .NET framework? Maybe a fresh install will fix things.

zameb

Hello!
No, I do not have Visual Studio installed and I am unsure if I need it.
Should I try to do something else?
Nope, you should not need it.

I suspect you need another .Net Framework version, I'm trying to check which one is required by GMS2
Hint: .Net Framework does not include older versions, which sometimes is a problem

zameb

To my shame, I can't find if GMS2 has Net Framework as a requirement and can't also find if a certain version is needed

I would contact support in your case

Sorry mate

To my shame, I can't find if GMS2 has Net Framework as a requirement and can't also find if a certain version is needed

I would contact support in your case

Sorry mate
Is fine don't worry about
Doubt there is really a point in contacting support but if you want you can give it a go.

Posh Indie

That Guy
I downloaded the installer for it and tried to redownload it but it would not let.View attachment 42723
I, personally, would try uninstalling Game Maker Studio 2 completely, uninstalling the .NET framework completely, installing Game Maker Studio 2, and then restarting my computer. I do not usually say, "Go do this", though, as I leave these decisions up to the individual to decide.

That said, have you restarted your computer since installing GMS? If that was the first application that needed the version of .NET it requires (And thus, installed it along with GMS), .NET usually needs a restart to function properly. A long shot, I know, but I do have friends that leave their computers on for weeks and a restart could have slipped the mind, haha.

I, personally, would try uninstalling Game Maker Studio 2 completely, uninstalling the .NET framework completely, installing Game Maker Studio 2, and then restarting my computer. I do not usually say, "Go do this", though, as I leave these decisions up to the individual to decide.

That said, have you restarted your computer since installing GMS? If that was the first application that needed the version of .NET it requires (And thus, installed it along with GMS), .NET usually needs a restart to function properly. A long shot, I know, but I do have friends that leave their computers on for weeks and a restart could have slipped the mind, haha.
Unfortunately, I have already tried to restart my computer with no effect. I may try the thing that you just suggested but how would I uninstall .NET exactly?

Posh Indie

That Guy
Unfortunately, I have already tried to restart my computer with no effect. I may try the thing that you just suggested but how would I uninstall .NET exactly?
Search for "Add or Remove Programs" in the Windows search bar and search for "Microsoft .NET SDK Uninstall Tool" (Or whatever they may call it nowadays. Go through the list until you see Microsoft .NET [Whatever Microsoft decided to append here]). You may need to check Program Files to see if it left anything behind to remove by hand, as well (To ensure it did not leave corrupted configuration or something behind). If you have any AntiVirus or firewall, I would disable them during this as well (Remove ANY barriers that could make you have to do it all over again).

If you have not already done so, I would first try these before the nuclear option:
1. Run GMS as Administrator (Right click, Run as Administrator).
2. Disable (Entirely) your AntiVirus for the duration of another complete uninstall/reinstall of GMS.

Again, I provide no warranty! This is just what I would do (There is risk to other applications you have that may use that .NET version, for instance, if this was NOT the first application that uses it. And this may or may not fix the problem, even), haha.

Search for "Add or Remove Programs" in the Windows search bar and search for "Microsoft .NET SDK Uninstall Tool" (Or whatever they may call it nowadays. Go through the list until you see Microsoft .NET [Whatever Microsoft decided to append here]). You may need to check Program Files to see if it left anything behind to remove by hand, as well (To ensure it did not leave corrupted configuration or something behind). If you have any AntiVirus or firewall, I would disable them during this as well (Remove ANY barriers that could make you have to do it all over again).

If you have not already done so, I would first try these before the nuclear option:
1. Run GMS as Administrator (Right click, Run as Administrator).
2. Disable (Entirely) your AntiVirus for the duration of another complete uninstall/reinstall of GMS.

Again, I provide no warranty! This is just what I would do (There is risk to other applications you have that may use that .NET version, for instance, if this was NOT the first application that uses it. And this may or may not fix the problem, even), haha.
I have tried both options so may try to delete .NET tomorrow.

Let's say theoretically, I have access to another computer that has game maker studio 2 that works and runs and whatnot. Are there some files I could transfer over from there to fix it on the computer on which it does not work?

What kind of machine are you running on??? GameMakerStudio 2 needs to be run on a Windows x64 machine (not a 32bit x86 installation or an ARM/ARM64 machine)

If you are on a 64bit Windows installation then I would suggest that you check any Anti Virus software you have installed and reinstall.

Russell
Really sorry, I had forgotten to answer this, I believe it is 64 but just in case. 1630684674962.png

Dennis

Hi
I am having the exact same problem with "System.DllNotFoundException" when trying to start GMS2 on one of my computers.

I have been developing a game on my desktop computer for a while and it now works fine when playing on that computer. But now I want to add playing over network, so I installed GMS2 on my laptop in order to start testing this. But GMS2 do not start on my laptop, stating the same "System.DllNotFoundException" problem as in this thread.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Both computers have 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate and both have .Net 4.8 installed.

Laptop restarted and while trying to solve the problem an update of GMS2 came out. Tested that yesterday, but still have the same problem.
I use the free version of GMS2.