GameMaker Studio

Z

Zefyrinus

I was recommended by someone to get GameMaker Studio, because currently I have version 6.1. So I looked at http://www.yoyogames.com/get, and I'm wondering about the features that the free version doesn't have. Could someone please explain to me what the features listed on that page, and which the free version lack are? I'm especially wondering about the splash screen. Also, will I be able to continue working on my version 6.1 files without problems?

J

Jaqueta

I suggest you getting the Standard GameMaker Studio Version, it's free and have almost all the features that Pro GM6.1 have, also, previous versions may have incompatibility issues with Windows 8 and 10.
The only features that you won't get on GM Studio, are Obsolete functions, and 92.63% of them are not even necessary.

G

Guest User

GameMaker: Studio is a completely different program to what is now known as GM: Legacy (8.1 or before). 6.1 especially is very outdated.

You can import most old projects to GM:S; however there will be errors and problems to fix as a lot of coding commands and actions have changed. It won't be a quick and simple transition from Legacy to Studio, but it's certainly worth it.

Customizable Splash Screen: instead of having a watermark on your games the free version will show a GameMaker: Studio screen before your game is opened, if you have Professional or above you can change the splash screen.
Early Access: EA gives you access to Game Maker updates before everyone else gets them.
Marketplace Selling: The YYG Marketplace is a new platform for selling assets, if you have pro or above you can sell on it.
Mobile Testing: If you have pro or above you can test your game on mobile platforms such as Android or iOS.
Export Modules: While GM Legacy could only export to Windows/Mac, GM:S can export to a number of platforms such as Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, Windows 8+ Store, Windows Phone, iOS, etc. Free version comes with only the Windows module; Pro comes with Windows, Mac and Linux with the option to purchase the rest separately, and Master Collection comes with everything.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Studio is a bit more "grown up" and is more strict about some things. For instance, resource names are now enforced to be OK to use in code, so you can't use spaces and symbols like < in them anymore. You can't use sleep(), screen_redraw() or screen_refresh(), and execute_string() and the variable_local_exists() family has also been removed. It's also worth noting that resource IDs get reassigned each time you compile your game, which can lead to issues with things like custom level editors. Instance Creation Code is now run after the Create event, which actually streamlines custom variable assignment (you don't need to check if a variable has been assigned in the create event before you give it the default value). Long story short, if you've been using some of the advanced features, chances are your game might not import properly, but feel free to pop by the Programming sub-forum for suggestions how to fix that. (For instance, you can get around execute_string() pretty easily by using execute_script() instead and make one script per hardcoded string you'd execute)

There's also a huge amount of GUI improvements - for instance, you can zoom in the room editor, which makes editing large levels a lot easier, especially with the new 'big picture' view you get when you zoom out a bit. You can highlight instances with creation code in the room editor, and also hide invisible instances making it possible to 'preview' the room. You can also stretch and rotate objects directly in the room editor, which can be used for all-new ways to design levels. The sprite editor now has full transparency support (I don't even remember how it was to have a transparent color and on/off transparency!) and some new tools. (Most of these improvements actually were GM8 stuff, but they've carried over to GMS and been further refined). There's also a large amount of new functions, but I've ranted enough about this :p

It's a huge step to GMS, but even if your current projects can't be converted, I strongly recommend switching once you've finished them - GMS has a bunch of pretty great workflow improvements that you'll enjoy.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
@Zefyrinus: Not sure our discussion is answering your questions.

Could someone please explain to me what the features listed on that page, and which the free version lack are?
For Windows games, the free version is essentially complete, for all practical purposes. It just lacks ability to export to other platforms.

I'm especially wondering about the splash screen.
The free version has a "made with GameMaker" splash screen that appears briefly when the game starts. It can't be removed or changed. The Pro version allows you to remove or change it.

Also, will I be able to continue working on my version 6.1 files without problems?
Installing Studio shouldn't affect your existing GM 6.1 installation. On my last computer, I had GM 6, 7, 8, and Studio all installed. They all worked fine.

Z

Zefyrinus

Ah, thank you everyone! :) So it seems like GMS is indeed completely usable as long as you're not going to release games professionally.

Installing Studio shouldn't affect your existing GM 6.1 installation. On my last computer, I had GM 6, 7, 8, and Studio all installed. They all worked fine.
I actually meant what Kousenai answered, about working on my old projects with GMS. So I think I will get GMS, but use 6.1 to finish most/all of my old projects.