• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GameMaker Studio 2

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
No plans for 32bit as Vista and above have supported x64 from the start and we are NOT support XP at all

Russell

A

Ashish Jivram

Sorry i shouldve been more specific, 32bit windows 7?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We currently have no plans for 32bit support in Windows 7 as we do not see the business justification, if you can give us one we will consider it.

We have to weigh up the support costs with extra QA effort and we do not see the market out there for a 32 bit version.

Russell

A

Ashish Jivram

Well i guess the business justification is that i am currently using a 32bit system but now knowing i cannot install the beta version make a potential customer unable to test and thus unwilling to buy because it cannot support my machine.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Sorry no 32 bit plans - depends on your device but you should be able to install an x64 version of windows on your hardware I don't think there any chips made any more by Intel or AMD that cannot run x64 at all and they have not made an x86 (32bit cpu) only for a long long time (like > 15 years) - but I may be wrong on that assertion.

Most Windows license keys work on both 64bit and 32bit versions (though I know some that came with ultra cheap PC's are 32bit only).

Russell

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Your knowledge on technology is terrible but i guess it will be someone like me who will have to suffer.
What is the machine type/make/model, and what are your CPU make/model, RAM specs etc...? Do you know when was originally made?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Sorry no 32 bit plans - depends on your device but you should be able to install an x64 version of windows on your hardware I don't think there any chips made any more by Intel or AMD that cannot run x64 at all and they have not made an x86 (32bit cpu) only for a long long time (like > 15 years) - but I may be wrong on that assertion.

Most Windows license keys work on both 64bit and 32bit versions (though I know some that came with ultra cheap PC's are 32bit only).

Russell
You're definitely wrong on that front.

I got x86-only systems in 2002 (Celeron 533), 2006 (Athlon) and 2008 (Celeron M). Another one down the line is a x86-64 laptop in 2011 (Core i5) that Samsung shipped with a 32-bit Windows 7. Only my latest machine is fully x64, a MacBook Pro from 2012 with Boot Camp.

All of the 32-bit machines I ever owned lie well within your 15-year timeline.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I don't think it unreasonable that if we're creating a product for the future, that 64bits is what we're expecting. Also...while we don't have any plans just now for 32bit...again if there is enough demand, anything is possible - but due to the increase maintenance and test, it would have to be a valid revenue stream and not just "because why not" kind of thing.

A

Ashish Jivram

DELL D420 LAPTOP, NETBOOK ULTRA PORTABLE, 60GB HARDDRIVE, WIRELESS, WINDOWS 7
  • Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 1.5GB RAM
  • 60GB Hard Drive
  • Windows 7 32bit
You are using one this instant though ;)

A

Ashish Jivram

i dont have a 64bit windows CD unless someone wants to send me one. I refuse to use torrents and i'm not in a position to afford one either

R

renex

Well then you are purposefully limiting yourself. We gave you possible workarounds, and you denied all of them.

You can only hope YYG decides to support 32 bit. This does come with the problem that people will try to get it running on XP, which is both a good and a bad thing. More bad than good. It would be hilarious if someone found a way to get it running on XP, since the games won't even work.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
DELL D420 LAPTOP, NETBOOK ULTRA PORTABLE, 60GB HARDDRIVE, WIRELESS, WINDOWS 7

• Intel Core 2 Duo
    • 1.5GB RAM
    • 60GB Hard Drive
    • Windows 7 32bit
Your windows 7 32bit key is also valid for windows 7 64bit. You just need the physical disk...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...h-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915

I "think" you can download it from here... (which is direct from Microsoft)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

(it will probably be a full reinstall...)

We have tested on Core2 Duo's and it works fine (when the OS is okay). For slower CPUs, an SSD would help a bit, and your RAM is a little low - says you need 2Gigs but you might be fine (no guarantees though)

M

Meek

Is it possible there could be support for a Windows 10 32-bit system in the future?

I ask, because I often like to use a very small, portable machine (that, admittedly isn't very powerful), but allows me to continue work when travelling.

The specs are as follows:

Lenovo IdeaPad 100s,
Windows 10 32-bit
2 GB RAM,
Intel Atom Z3735F @ 1.33, 1.33 GHz

I know it's asking a lot, as performance will be greatly diminished on such a low-spec machine.

Llama_Code

Is it possible there could be support for a Windows 10 32-bit system in the future?

I ask, because I often like to use a very small, portable machine (that, admittedly isn't very powerful), but allows me to continue work when travelling.

The specs are as follows:

Lenovo IdeaPad 100s,
Windows 10 32-bit
2 GB RAM,
Intel Atom Z3735F @ 1.33, 1.33 GHz

I know it's asking a lot, as performance will be greatly diminished on such a low-spec machine.
That CPU should be 64 bit as well.

It's not uncommon for lower end laptops and tablets of all ranges to come with a 64bit CPU and 32 bit Windows installed.

Before I bought my Surface I had an Acer two in one that came with 32 bit Windows 8, when it updates to 10 I wiped it and reloaded 64 bit 10 and it activated with no issues. It was very similar in specs had the exact same processor at 1.7 ghz

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
No, very cheap tablets and "netbooks" tend to only have 32bit EFI boot roms, which make it impossible to boot into 64bit mode, even though the CPU itself supports it. (I have a windows8 surface which I upgraded to win10, and a £100 netbook that are both tied to 32bit due to the boot roms)

yes and no... yes it's possible, but 1) that's a lot of extra testing and maintenance, and 2) we do consume a lot more RAM than 1.x. The 2GB ram these systems normally have would be crippling. Your projects would likely have to be very small to fit. It's currently not high on our list.

EDIT: The IdeaPad 100s is the one I picked up recently for £100... and it doesn't even allow booting from CD or USB to install a new OS on it, never mind a 64bit one.

Last edited:
M

Meek

Thanks for the help. I'll see about getting the 64-bit version installed.

GMWolf

aka fel666
To be honest im still suprised 32bit OS's are still a thing!
Yes backwards compatibility is nice, and 64bit machines should run 32bit programs, but why manufacture 32bit machines in this day and age?

Im actually sort of looking forwards to an architectural rebirth, dropping some backwards compatibility, in favour for better designed systems. Yes it will be a mess for a while. But it could unlock so much more!

M

Meek

Darn. Well, thanks for the information anyway. I'm not disappointed, as I'm aware this is a fairly small part of your market.

I was going to invest in a surface pro, but the prices are eyewatering at the moment.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Darn. Well, thanks for the information anyway. I'm not disappointed, as I'm aware this is a fairly small part of your market.

I was going to invest in a surface pro, but the prices are eyewatering at the moment.
when on a budget, you shouldn't look at premium products!

Llama_Code

@Mike wow I wasn't aware of that luckily I have never had one of those.

I love my surface, best investment I have ever made, this said though the Acer Aspire Swith 10 is a pretty nice budget model. I bought it first because I didn't know if I would like a tablet type Windows machine, but after using I liked it a lot and took the plunge on the Surface. I only paid $250 for that one and it was pretty solid, I used it for GMS 1.4 and had no issues. My daughter is still using it for School.

If your not looking to go total portable most laptops in the $300 range will work at least for development.

N

nicolas2017alcubo

Damn!. YoYogames: You SHOULD to create a 32 bits versuin of gme2. I haven't a 64 bits PC. Only 32 bits!. You shouldn't worry about the Damn business and the Damn costs!!!

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Damn!. YoYogames: You SHOULD to create a 32 bits versuin of gme2. I haven't a 64 bits PC. Only 32 bits!. You shouldn't worry about the Damn business and the Damn costs!!!
Yeahhhh don't worry about the business nor the costs... don't pay your workers... make your employees work more and make a 32bit version but don't pay them... also why don't you make GMS2 work on win95 and use only 200Mb of RAM... o_Oo_O

are you even listening to yourself?! Making those kinda things costs money/time/resources.... do you complain to software/game company (EASports, SquareEnix,Microsoft) so they make their software run on a platform it was not meant to?!

"Hey Microsoft my Office doesn't run on Linux!!"

If yoyogame doesn't take a look at the business point of view and the costs... then there would be no money to pay for more updates! Install a 64bit window!!

Even if there were.. 100 people wanting 32bit ... if the software cost 90$ it would only give 9000$...
this would pay 10 employees 450$ for 2 months!! do you think it's viable?
porting and MAINTAINING another version would cost way more than that...

S

SweetCelestia

Well, if you have only 2-4 GB of RAM and weak CPU like 1.3-1.8(something like that) GHz, it's not best idea to have x64 OS, btw if it's costs about .5-1 GB of RAM and .7-1.0 GHz, you can try to install x64 version of OS...
To be honest im still suprised 32bit OS's are still a thing!
Yes backwards compatibility is nice, and 64bit machines should run 32bit programs, but why manufacture 32bit machines in this day and age?

Im actually sort of looking forwards to an architectural rebirth, dropping some backwards compatibility, in favour for better designed systems. Yes it will be a mess for a while. But it could unlock so much more!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
That's not quite true I'm afraid. 64Bit mode on a CPU tends to be faster. It has more registers and the instruction path is better. Also, with swap space, physical ram is less of an issue.