• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Gamemaker Studio 2 wont start and YoYo support hasnt replied

I've had Gamemaker Studio 2 for years now and I'm fairly sure this problem started randomly (It may have started when I installed the new update but I'm not sure)

Basically what is going on is when I double click GMS2 to open it, it loads for about half a second and then doesn't do anything else. That's it. I've tried downloading GMS2 on steam, uninstalling and reinstalling the newest version, installing an old version, installing the beta version, installing GMS1.4, updating windows, uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers, doing a clean install of GMS2, and so many other things I cant remember them all. I tried opening GMS2 while task manager was open and GMS2 opened as a background app with the status "suspended", I don't know what that means but it always closes within a second of it starting anyway.

I submitted a ticket to YoYo and they haven't replied in a few days and I'm really struggling to find a way to fix this problem. I've been thinking about doing a factory reset of my PC but it would be really inconvenient and I really don't want to, any ideas?

1627167665209.png

rIKmAN

What are your machine specs and does it meet the minimum requirements?
Does a ui.log file get created, and if so what info does it contain?

It sounds similar to what happens when the GPU isn't up to spec, so follow the steps in this guide to use the software renderer and see if that works.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

It sounds similar to what happens when the GPU isn't up to spec, so follow the steps in this guide to use the software renderer and see if that works.
^^^
Id also recommend maybe closing all your background apps

do you really need a game launcher and game service running while game deving? major cpu and gpu hogs that could use those resources for gms

edit: also your vpn might be causing issues for the online checks

I have a GTX 2070 and an i7 in the 3000 series, I've been using GMS2 for years and it worked fine so i dont think my specs are the problem. I'm pretty sure that a ui.log doesnt get created but i'll double check when i get home in about an hour

^^^
Id also recommend maybe closing all your background apps

do you really need a game launcher and game service running while game deving? major cpu and gpu hogs that could use those resources for gms

edit: also your vpn might be causing issues for the online checks
I dont use a vpn but ill try closing my background apps when i get home in about an hour

I followed that guide but nothing changed, and no ui.log file is created

rIKmAN

I have a GTX 2070 and an i7 in the 3000 series, I've been using GMS2 for years and it worked fine so i dont think my specs are the problem. I'm pretty sure that a ui.log doesnt get created but i'll double check when i get home in about an hour
Is this a desktop machine or a laptop?
If it's a laptop, make sure that you're using the 2070 and not the Intel GPU.

However if it previously worked on the exact same hardware then I'd start looking at what might have changed with regards to software.
Things such as Windows Updates, Driver Updates and any new software installed that might be interfering or could have changed your system/settings in some way.

I'd also still test the mesa driver out as I mentioned above just to see if it works as it takes less than 10 seconds to do and would rule out a GPU issue if that also failed to boot the IDE.
Look into doing a clean install of GMS2 as well: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...perform-a-fresh-install-of-GameMaker-Studio-2

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I submitted a ticket to YoYo and they haven't replied in a few days and I'm really struggling to find a way to fix this problem. I've been thinking about doing a factory reset of my PC but it would be really inconvenient and I really don't want to, any ideas?
Just to point out... YYG don't have the helpdesk staffed at the weekend, so that'll be why it may take longer than you'd expect to get a reply. I'd expect you'll hear back from them today. :)

Is this a desktop machine or a laptop?
If it's a laptop, make sure that you're using the 2070 and not the Intel GPU.

However if it previously worked on the exact same hardware then I'd start looking at what might have changed with regards to software.
Things such as Windows Updates, Driver Updates and any new software installed that might be interfering or could have changed your system/settings in some way.

I'd also still test the mesa driver out as I mentioned above just to see if it works as it takes less than 10 seconds to do and would rule out a GPU issue if that also failed to boot the IDE.
Look into doing a clean install of GMS2 as well: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...perform-a-fresh-install-of-GameMaker-Studio-2
I've already tried doing a clean install and I tried the mesa fix, I have a desktop machine, I think the only things that I installed during the time that GMS2 stopped working is installing the new version of GMS2 (2.3.3) and installing the newest windows update. I'm pretty sure I only installed new graphics drivers after the problem already started. YoYo games did reply and they gave me a guide that I linked below but it hasn't worked. I tried deleting some drawing tablet drivers that I installed near the time GMS2 stopped working but that didn't work either, any ideas on what I can do?

I'm thinking about just doing a factory reset of my pc because this problem is unbelievably infuriating

Last edited: