• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Gamemaker Studio 2 Web trial or game

E

_Eugene_

Sorry - this is not a technical question, but I did not find another section for my question.
Can i get Gamemaker Studio 2 Web trial? If not - where i can see or try a game made on Gamemaker Studio 2 Web (link please)?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
There is no trial for the Web export, but TrueValhalla's work is about the most representative of what can be done.

Don't think for a second that GMS 2 is a free pass from HTML, CSS and JS, though. If you want to do anything close to what he's already doing, you will need all your basics in place first.

E

_Eugene_

Don't think for a second that GMS 2 is a free pass from HTML, CSS and JS, though. If you want to do anything close to what he's already doing, you will need all your basics in place first.
HTML, CSS and JS? This is web technology.

Do I understand correctly, that if i buy Gamemaker Studio 2 Web i can import game (created in Gamemaker Studio 2 Desktop) to web "in one click"?
So we create game in single redactor, use all options (sprites, animations, functions, base connection, get-post etc.) and then publish the game on windows, mac, web (what type of license or products we buy).
In modern development, it is accepted that we create one project and publish it anywhere, on any platform.

Or Gamemaker Studio 2 Web has another redactor, language? And we can not use DnD-GML and will use HTML, CSS and JS?
If so, then why is it needed? It is not productive and does not meet modern development standards.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
HTML, CSS and JS? This is web technology.

Do I understand correctly, that if i buy Gamemaker Studio 2 Web i can import game (created in Gamemaker Studio 2 Desktop) to web "in one click"?
So we create game in single redactor, use all options (sprites, animations, functions, base connection, get-post etc.) and then publish the game on windows, mac, web (what type of license or products we buy).
In modern development, it is accepted that we create one project and publish it anywhere, on any platform.

Or Gamemaker Studio 2 Web has another redactor, language? And we can not use DnD-GML and will use HTML, CSS and JS?
If so, then why is it needed? It is not productive and does not meet modern development standards.
The web export on GMS 2 builds drag-and-drop and GML down to JS for the main engine, and HTML+CSS for the main page holding the game. So while at least 95% of the project can be in GML, there are caveats that must be kept in mind from day one if you want truly cross-platform work. And for the web export, having a grasp of HTML+CSS+JS gives you a rough idea of what these caveats are, and it also enables you to be adaptable to different business needs as they arise.

The biggest mistake that a lot of web export beginners make is assumption of native privilege. Because GMS 2 web builds down to browser-side JS, you will be subject to browser-imposed restrictions that native binaries are not encumbered by.
  • If you try to pull files directly off the native file system, you fail.
  • If you do cross-site HTTP requests to a server that doesn't have CORS done properly, you fail.
  • If you demand compiled performance from interpreted JS code, you fail.
  • If you do anything on this list, you fail.
It's easy to accidentally incorporate web-hostile code into a project that has only been tested on Desktop environments. And given how you hold up that write-once-run-anywhere ideal like it's a Bible, I can tell with near certainty that there is web-hostile code in the project(s) you plan to blindly port, and you'd be in no position to answer if players raise issues with it.

Another issue is how common API integration is when developing web games for commercial purposes (e.g. ads, analytics, etc). Interacting with those APIs will inevitably involve HTML, CSS and/or JS to make them right, as that's what they're built with. There are some extensions that you can use, but not all of them are maintained equally, if they exist at all for the one you want to work with. If you don't have those basics down and you're in a position where you have to DIY the extension, you are entirely at the pleasure of people who do have these skills down. You could end up signing onto an onboarding contract that you can't fulfill at closing time.

I don't have a "be nice" policy when I write on these forums, I only have a "give no false hope" policy. Write-once-run-anywhere has always devolved to write-once-debug-everywhere, and GMS 2's web export is no exception. You need realistic expectations of how it will pan out, and it can't come from being ignorant or dismissive of the platform's native languages.