GameMaker Studio 2 vs 1.4 - Comparison

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Had this idea and spent 10 hours straight making this. I'm tired as hell. I'm off to sleep, so I'll leave the video here. ;)

I'd really appreciate your views. Not the YouTube views (not that I don't appreciate them :p ), I mean your views, as in what you think about the video. ;)

Last edited:
Well I really appreciate this very neat video you did! I also appreciate the hours you decided to spend in creating a very nice comparison. I personally never have been cluttered with the GMS1 interface as I never open so many windows at once. I also VERY much hate GMS2 becaus if the non intuitive GUI. But going beyond that, with your video I see that some things are MUCH better in GMS2 while as others are MUCH better in GMS1. In my case and for the use I make, GMS2 is not that great of an update as it does not fit with my style of programming and creating and if GM would have had the GMS2 interface back then, never would I have baught it.

I do see that, for example, tile's seem to be much easier to work with during room creation. BUT again, creating my own Tile-Based platform Engin for V1, GMS2's tile system cuts off some freedom I now have with my new engine.
As for sprite creation, GMS2's tools are much better and more advanced then GMS1 so that's a major point for small sprite touches and creation.

In my case, GMS2 is not worth the 80$ CAD upgrade yet and your video, just helped me see it more clearly. I had already tested GMS2 but got so frustrated in loosing my code by Xing out by mistake some windows. I searched so many times some options and tried soo many times understanding the tile engine that I simply uninstalled everything I had from GMS2 as I never got to even run half of what you did in the video as I got lost soooo many times.

I REALLY appreciate your video, I know it's not to complain about GMS2 or to talk about the rough GMS1 problems but it's there to serve as a comparison and seriously, very good job! Thanks for your time and effort!!! Seriously!!!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I REALLY appreciate your video, I know it's not to complain about GMS2 or to talk about the rough GMS1 problems but it's there to serve as a comparison and seriously, very good job! Thanks for your time and effort!!! Seriously!!!
And I really appreciate your appreciation! Thank you!
I do see that, for example, tile's seem to be much easier to work with during room creation. BUT again, creating my own Tile-Based platform Engin for V1, GMS2's tile system cuts off some freedom I now have with my new engine.
Well yes, creating your own things is always better. But this new tiling system is greatly beneficial to those who cannot create their own engines. But in your case, I understand how it isn't worth the upgrade.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Nicely done. Your video has good production value, and it flows smoothly from topic to topic.

I expect this will be useful to GM 1.4 users who aren't familiar with the Studio 2 work environment yet.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Your video has good production value, and it flows smoothly from topic to topic.
Feels weird to hear that since I thought of nothing while creating the video, like, no plans, no ideas, and thought nobody would like it. What do you know, unexpected things can happen! Thank you. :)

alexde5th

I really hope GM:S 2 doesn't have the "Save all objects on save" when you change one little thing in one object. Other than that, GM:S 2 looks to be a dramatic improvement over GM:S.

To be honest GMS2 is very very disappointing. They spent their time in the wrong direction. Ultimately i can see a very little improvement and they made it much more complicated and frustrating to work with. For example that chain system is totally useless and absurd. Also not a fan of drag and drop feature. Is there any way to revert GMS2 layout back to GMS1.4? That would help a lot.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Is there any way to revert GMS2 layout back to GMS1.4? That would help a lot.
Once the plugin API gets documented (it's on their roadmap), you can easily write a plugin to make your own IDE modes in C#. Or at least find one written by another member, since I'm sure a GMS1.x layout would be among the first plugins to get created.

T

Tipoland

I'm kind of assuming that game maker 2 has better processing power over gamer maker studio, and it can handle better graphics, but I just want to make sure, because right now, it's the biggest reason I want to get it other than the cool tiling system.

zingot

Oops replying to a 2 year old thread....

My main concern is workflow and what I mean by that is, visual workflow. There is no colour contrast within sub-headers of the room properties for example, I have to scan continually to look for where I can adjust values rather than have my eyes drawn to the sections where I can amend values.

For me the whole time coding within GMS2 I find myself spending more time looking for what I need rather than doing what I want.

Maybe I need to start re-skinning to feel more at home.

Last edited:

K12gamer

Three Questions:

1) In GM 8...I could push a single button to pause a game. (I think it was F2 or F4...that brought up an instruction page which also paused the game)
In GM Studio 1.4...it's harder to do (tricky code required)
Is it easy to make games pause in GMS 2 (Example: A simple Drag and Drop icon)?

2) In GM Studio 1.4...It required a lot of tricky code to make HTML 5 games automatically adjust to fullscreen.
Is it easy to make HTML 5 games auto-adjust to full screen in GMS 2 (Example:Simply checking off a box in Global settings)

3) In GM 8...it was easy to set up a high score table (Drag and Drop icon built in)
GM Studio 1.4 didn't have this D&D icon
Is it easy to set up a high score table in GMS 2? (Has the D&D high score icon returned?

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Is it easy to make games pause in GMS 2 (Example: A simple Drag and Drop icon)?
Deactivate all instances except for the manager/controller.

Is it easy to make HTML 5 games auto-adjust to full screen in GMS 2 (Example:Simply checking off a box in Global settings)
Not sure, but I don't think it's much different from GMS 1.

Is it easy to set up a high score table in GMS 2? (Has the D&D high score icon returned?
Don't know about Drag & Drop, but there are the highscore_add and draw_highscore GML functions.