OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Version 2.3.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Welcome to GameMaker Studio 2.3.0! This major new release introduces many significant improvements to the software, which you can find detailed further down this page: new resource types and editors; important quality-of-life changes throughout the IDE; a brand new manual; an overhauled project format; lots of new GML language functionality; and much more.

2.3.0 AND THE EXCITING CHANGES IT BRINGS
This one is quite a long read, as there are a lot of things to cover and there is also an important section below about things to be aware of migrating from 2.2.5, but please do take the time to review all of this page and you'll have no problems adapting to all the changes in 2.3.0 and be ready to take your games to new heights.

Now, if you're sitting comfortably, I'll begin...

GET UP TO DATE WITH 2.3

Cpaz

Oh!
Well I can't say I was expecting such an abrupt release.
Very pleasant surprise, though!

Congrats to you all!!! Tons of fantastic new features to digest.

drandula

I would like to have help with this one 😅

1597753693528.png

1597754432107.png

After this message IDE just closes and I cannot access anything, so I can't do much here.
Restarting computer and reinstalling 2.3 didn't help.
For first time opening IDE asked logging information, but after it has only showed this.

I have previously installed only Beta-version of GMS2.3 for current computer. Beta-version opens up normally.

I feel like I'm just waking up, still woozy here ...
  1. I notice when I launch the v.2.2.5.481 IDE, it prompted me to download v.2.3.0.529. And then there's the runtime v.2.3.0.401 in the master runtime. Which I haven't agree to, and chooses to ignore for now.
  2. When I launch the beta v.2.3 which I had installed on a different drive from the v.2.2.5, it prompted update to IDE v.23.1.1.168 Runtime v.23.1.1.160 - which I have agreed and installed, so no problem for this one.
So as you can see this causes my confusion. What concerns me is that I have an in-progress project on v.2.2.5 IDE, I don't want to have to export it to v.2.3 because I haven't had the chance to familiarize myself with the new changes, thus I don't want the need to do so imposing on my progress. That said, can someone clarify for me? I'd prefer to keep 2 versions of the IDE separately and hold on to v.2.2.5 for now due to concern regarding possible conversion mess. Thanks.

Scratch the above, figured it out, I was prompted to upgrade to v.2.3.0.529 IDE from v.2.2.5 IDE, and to install v.2.3.0.401 Runtime. Gonna ignore these for the time being. Will bite the bullet once I'm done with my current project. Don't want to risk corrupting or deal with some conversion messing up until I get this project off my back. :)

Edit 1:
Guess I'll take the plunge, cross fingers the move doesn't mess up my project progress. As precaution, I've acquired the exe for the latest v.2.2.5 should I need to revert back to it, and have backed up all my projects. Bracing myself in case something goes awfully wrong.

Edit 2:
Converted 3 projects (2 past, 1 in progress), gave quick test seems to work flawless - no error messages. So relieve to be spared from any mess up. Hopefully none that arise from the move. Back to working on current project. 😌😤🤗

Last edited:

gnysek

Great, Although I've posted a new BUG just now.....
They announced already that 2.3.1 beta will follow soon, and I believe they gonna address rest of bugs there. They just didn't wanted to wait another weeks to release 2.3 while bugs that were reported affects very small amount of people, and some new bug reports will also come for sure after stable release, as not all users checked wanted to play with beta only because it got "beta" in name.

--- Edit: ---

I love new splash screen:

1597755926816.png

JaimitoEs

😱Great! And what about the Marketplace extensions? Can I use the latest version of GameMaker using an old runtime to continue to support the old Gml language?
In my case, I don't know how many people have started a project with my extension. Is it possible to work with the latest version of the IDE and work on different projects using different runtimes?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I would like to have help with this one 😅

View attachment 33440
View attachment 33441
After this message IDE just closes and I cannot access anything, so I can't do much here.
Restarting computer and reinstalling 2.3 didn't help.
For first time opening IDE asked logging information, but after it has only showed this.

I have previously installed only Beta-version of GMS2.3 for current computer. Beta-version opens up normally.
I also have the issue with runtimes not being found... trying to test play anything gives a "please select a valid runtime" error, but the latest available runtime is 2.2.5.378 (I've tried manual refreshes and restarting GM, neither makes it find it). I wasn't on the beta, so it seems to be the feed itself being down in general and not just a conflict with beta 2.3?
1597758402810.png

drandula

I also have the issue with runtimes not being found... trying to test play anything gives a "please select a valid runtime" error, but the latest available runtime is 2.2.5.378 (I've tried manual refreshes and restarting GM, neither makes it find it). I wasn't on the beta, so it seems to be the feed itself being down in general and not just a conflict with beta 2.3?
I got 2.3 release working now by uninstalling it, installing previous version 2.2.5, uninstalling it and then installing 2.3 😅

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Okay, it showed up for me now too (I just restarted GMS2 and then mashed "refresh" in the Runtime Feeds options in a moment of despair). Glad it was just a temporary issue.

JaimitoEs

Are there any new optimization recommendations? My game's FPS went from 100 -> 63 on my work computer...
Probably because of the conversion related to the arrays, I am very afraid that you will have to rewrite all the backward compatibility functions related to them.

I

IamJC

Everything went well for converting my project, only thing is I get Huuuuuge lag spike for clearing de draw pipeline in game. Didn't have this problem with last version. Can't seems to find the source of the problem.

This is the reason why I bought GMS2. I wanted to get it when 2.3 comes out (which would be today) but I couldnt resist the summer sale! Now I have to convert my 1.4 projects. Man am I so outdated. At least I've stepped up my game :)

kupo15

So this is an actual override of 2.2 then? Can't have them both at one time and pick and choose which projects to convert over? Scary seeing some ppl having performance problems but eventually it'll have to be done. Just wondering if I should start converting now or wait until things are smoothed out? Is it safe enough to convert over?

Cpaz

Okay, it showed up for me now too (I just restarted GMS2 and then mashed "refresh" in the Runtime Feeds options in a moment of despair). Glad it was just a temporary issue.
Glad to see the tried and true method of "mash buttons in frustration" can actually yield positive results!

I

IamJC

Also I'm pretty sure this is impossible but converting 2.2.5 to 2.3 seems to sort all objects/sprites in alphabetical order. Do you think there is a way to keep the pre-conversion sorting in the IDE for thoses?

Coded Games

Also I'm pretty sure this is impossible but converting 2.2.5 to 2.3 seems to sort all objects/sprites in alphabetical order. Do you think there is a way to keep the pre-conversion sorting in the IDE for thoses?
There is an option to change sort order of the asset browser. I forgot exactly where it is but it does exist. This is something I asked about during the beta.

T

trechevyte

Probably because of the conversion related to the arrays, I am very afraid that you will have to rewrite all the backward compatibility functions related to them.
I'm curious in what way this impacted performance? I too have noticed a massive FPS drop in my game after updating 2.3, as well as many references (ie. self had to become "id") not working anymore.

hdarren

Is there really not a way of installing the new v2.3 separately from my current v2.2 build? I want to start making a new game using the new version to test it out but I have live games using v2.2 that need maintenance (bugfixing) but don't have the time right now to manually update every game to v2.3.

JaimitoEs

I'm curious in what way this impacted performance? I too have noticed a massive FPS drop in my game after updating 2.3, as well as many references (ie. self had to become "id") not working anymore.
It was a deduction from the way arrays are treated now. I'm not sure it's exactly that, but seeing the changes in the language, it probably has something to do with it, the only solution to rule out this hypothesis is to adapt the changes recommended in the article and test. Another way would be to create 2 empty projects in their different versions and test the difference in fps.

@hdarren @kupo15

So I did the oldest trick in the book which is copy and paste the old GMS2 program folder in program files to another location before installing the new version. I didn't do an extensive test but the old version still works and was able to compile as normal. Now I have both 2.2 and 2.3 :)

edit: I kinda broke my game 2.2 game. Not sure if it was just me being stupid or this doesn't work anymore. Make sure to make backups if you try this

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There is an option to change sort order of the asset browser. I forgot exactly where it is but it does exist. This is something I asked about during the beta.
It's here:
1597775670617.png

The sort order is saved with the project, so your old 2.2 order should be carried over when you switch back.
There's also a Preference to change the default sort order.

(Note that custom order won't work properly in a shared source-controlled project)

Last edited:
@hdarren @kupo15

So I did the oldest trick in the book which is copy and paste the old GMS2 program folder in program files to another location before installing the new version. I didn't do an extensive test but the old version still works and was able to compile as normal. Now I have both 2.2 and 2.3 :)
That works? I might try that, as I do want to further explore 2.3 but 2.2.5 seemed so much better and more logical in my eyes. I'm not at all happy with 2.3, so many things are now broken...
I would love to play around with 2.3, but keep my serious project going in 2.2.5.

I really don't understand why they decided to go this way. This is not a new 3.0 engine. Yet compatibility is a huge issue.

EDIT: I want to do both on my high end gaming laptop. I tested 2.3 on a smaller work-laptop which had massive performance problems with 2.3.

Last edited:

gnysek

That the issue I described - seems that RSS with updates is cached by IDE (internally, for runtime/ide update checking there's a GET param ?cachebust=XXXXXXX with UTC unix time added to url), which may prevent downloading runtime for 30-60 minutes.
For example, when I started IDE now (23:14 CEST, 21:14 UTC), it checked for runtimes availiable on <update-url>?cachebust=1597784064, which is 20:54 UTC. That's 20 minutes of difference.
Sadly, runtime feeds refresh button does exactly same, so there's no way to get "latest" version without waiting 30-60 minutes.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Does the IDE plugins documentation thing exist yet? I wanted to add a new resource type for my process info extension - "Processes" - similar to included files but each one has it's own unique resource id that can be passed to my extension's functions for the process index parameter, and you could specify whether the executable associated with the resource is a file that gets copied to your project folder with an import button or its a system file so it doesn't need to be distributed with the game itself but instead installed via a package manager depending on the platform. Each process resource would also have specific command line parameters specified to be passed to it in the resource editor.

As you can see - I'm really looking forward to IDE plugins being documented. :D

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Just converted my project (and framework) and everything runs juuuuuuust fine.

Have just one things that is not working... looking into it right now.

jobjorgos

This new version is so good!!! it is so perfect now and I could just import my 1.4 project without any problems at all! Just incredible, I have the trial version but gonna buy the full version soon for sure

Khao

I absolutely second this. I think this option is essential.
This is beyond essential. The automatic folding straight up breaks the entire workflow if you already have your own regions set up. Having customizable regions AND automatic fold is frankly counter productive to both features and I'm genuinely surprised that it made it to the stable release in its current form.

This is just so painful to use, it looks awful and it's completely unreadable unless you unfold everything as soon as you open the code. But then you're not using your own customized regions anymore, so what's the point of the feature in the first place?

At least have it hide the initial "{", because what the hell am I even looking at.

Aside from that, converting my project went... extremely smoothly. There's just a single feature that broke unexpectedly and I'm trying to figure out why exactly, but even my menus continued to work correctly, and they use 2D arrays and scripts very extensively. I'm very pleased about the conversion in general, and excited to try the new features out! There's already so many things I want to do with sequences that I don't know where to start, haha. The coolest thing about sequences is that my artist/animator/UI designer is now gonna be able to work directly on the project to create menu transitions and 💩💩💩💩 like that without even having to learn how GM works.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Side note, it would be nice if Game Maker could point out detected old-style 2D arrays so it's easier to fix them (there's no easy way to search for them since commas are used for function calls and some other stuff as well). Not sure how feasible it would be to add in, but if something special is indeed happening behind the scenes for [a,b] style arrays now to turn them into [a][b] style ones, it'd be nice if it also gave you a little naggin' to update it...

Status
Not open for further replies.