• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion GameMaker Studio 2 Updates?

Hello! I've purchased GameMaker Studio 2 and would like to know about the beta updates. Do they happen automatically (i.e. I start the app and it tells me there is a newer version)? Or do I need to check in somewhere to see if there is a newer version? I didn't see a way (i.e. under the Help menu) to check for updates, etc.?

Also, I am correct to assume that if we've purchased v2 then the beta limitations do not apply (i.e. limited number of scripts, etc.)?

Thanks.

It will tell you there's an update immediately at startup, at the logon/loading screen.
I believe during beta, all updates are mandatory.
Limits are lifted if you have the paid version.

TheMagician

Do we know if updates will always be mandatory?
It can be a bit annoying if you want to have a quick look at your game and then have to sit through the update process.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
No, they won't be. If something major changes - like the website login (for some reason), then the IDE would have to change in order to keep using it. Runtimes are now separate though, so updating the IDE doesn't (always) mean having to update the runtimes...