• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows GameMaker Studio 2 Update/Patch Game

B

BlackSt4r

Hello community,

I would like to know if there is a way to update/patch your game after release. Like fixing a bug or adding new content without having to re-upload the whole game again messing with the save file of the player.
Is there anything like this in GameMaker Studio 2 or do i need to implement it to a 3rd party software like a launcher or something.

Thanks in advance

D

dannyjenn

To answer your question, I don't know. I doubt that it's possible, but maybe someone else knows.

But for save files, just don't use the built-in saving/loading system. The built-in system is (or at least was) very unreliable. But if you write your own saving/loading system (not too hard to do), then you can be sure that the player's save file will always be compatible with any updated game version.

O.Stogden

If you ever end up putting your game on Steam, then you can just upload the games files using their tools and it'll sort out all that stuff for you as well. Was something I was worried about with the way GM packages games, but Steam handles it fine.

And like Dannyjenn said, better to use external files (look into ini functions if you just want some basic saving) not built-in with the game for save files. Your save files will then just get put into the appdata folders like most games do.

D

dannyjenn

I'm curious... is there actually much advantage in having players download a patch/update rather than re-download the entire exe? I'd understand if this were the '90s or '00s, when download speeds were a lot slower and bandwidth was more limited. But these days I'd think it wouldn't be a big deal.