• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Gamemaker Studio 2 Splash Screen Removal

M

maisondel

Does anyone know how to remove the Gamemaker Studio 2 splash screen for Mac OSX compiled games? It is a paid license. Not sure where to turn it off for the Mac builds. Its the black screen that has the gamemaker icon and the Gamemaker Studio 2 text.

Any help is appreciated!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I've talked with @Mike about this and he seems to think it's a requirement of Apple to have a splash, and that it is even impossible to remove it, (which I still think is total BS). But it's not a huge deal, considering, like he suggested, you can just make it a 1×1 black pixel image and you'll just get a brief black screen while stuff's loading.

Also, I'm not suggesting he's lying, I just think he's misinformed. Wanted to clarify that before I sound like a jerk or get in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

djrain

I would really like the option to skip it for testing purposes. A lot of time is wasted looking at that screen.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I've talked with @Mike about this and he seems to think it's a requirement of Apple to have a splash, and that it is even impossible to remove it (snip)
I'm guessing Mike was referring to publishing requirements for Apple stores. Not built-in hardware requirements.

Either way, I'm not sure if Apple requires "launch screens", or just recommends them. From what I've seen on iOS forums, the consensus is that Apple requires one for apps on their Store. There's some detailed Apple guidelines here.

Here's a technical document that discusses guidelines and requirements for apps for various Apple devices. I believe the term "home screen" applies here, and it seems to be required in some apps, and optional in others.

The whole issue is rather ambiguous.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We do not support No Splash Screen on Mac - if you do not want anything just put in a blank screen

Russell

Y

yoyoSleepzero

Maybe once an app is published via the app store a splash screen is required. For development, it would be mighty helpful to not have that several second splash screen show up everytime. So when you publish, got it about a splash screen but otherwise that's a big time suck to see an unnecessary loading screen.

M

mccordinator

Second on the option to "skip splash screen during development" I feel like a lot of time is wasted waiting for that screen to pass during development and testing... Did this ever get changed??

Ruimm

I believe the splash screen only appears when it is loading? If true then there is no way around it, even if you remove you would still be looking at a black window.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I believe the splash screen only appears when it is loading? If true then there is no way around it, even if you remove you would still be looking at a black window.
I'm pretty sure it has a minimum display time even when stuff isn't loading, but I could be wrong. Now this I do know for certain - when you turn the splash screen off on Windows or Linux, you don't get a black window, because the window remains invisible until the game has fully loaded.

Pavel

It definately has some minimum display time, I see it very clear when I run the same game on Windows and on Mac, I've just bought a licence and hoped this splash screen will go away on Mac, but it is not! I wonder is this a bug and we should expect it to be fixed or it is a feature? Because it is really a huge waste of time during development to see splash screen every time you run the game.