OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 - Roadmap update

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edmanbosch

Tsa wants to write an extension or marketplace script. His extension/script wants to change or manipulate the font and then return things the way they were. But if the user or another extension has set the font (which is very likely), there's no way to know what that prior font was and reinstate it at the end of Tsa's extension/script.
Ah okay, now I get it.

Tsa05

@Edmanbosch Exactly--and we're not talking about something super obscure, either. Just imagine how we normally draw text on a screen in Game Maker:
Code:
draw_set_font(ft_arial);
draw_text(x, y, "Sample text");
Now, imagine you want to create a script that allows you some flexibility in how your text looks. Maybe it would be like this:
Code:
draw_set_font(ft_arial);
draw_text(x, y, "Ready for [font=ft_chiller]Halloween[/font] later this month?");
Might be neat to be able to have a script that mixes in custom accent fonts like that, but it's not possible. Such a script can certainly change the font, but it can't change it back.

The alternative seems obvious at first...
Code:
draw_set_font(ft_arial);
draw_text(x, y, "Ready for [font=ft_chiller]Halloween[font=ft_arial] later this month?");
No hassle? Major hassle. You want to experiment with the game's default font, and suddenly you're hunting through text strings looking for every time you set it "back" to the default.

I've written this very script, https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...timization-the-mother-of-all-textboxes.35901/
And, of course, it suffers from several awkward issues in practical use, all of which should be solved by GameMaker knowing how to know which font it knows.

Anyyyways. It sounds like we're all curious about the roadmap development process, what's in the queue, how to get an idea implemented. The YYG dudes are trying their best to put out 726 little fires, so I'll awkward along for now :D

F

FormalCloud

You may not always agree with our priorities, but you do not see the whole landscape from our point of view...

GML will be getting a lot of upgrades over this generation but each upgrade needs to be evaluated within the landscape of an expanding vista so it can take a lot longer to ensure that each change is complete and has no (or at least little impact) on the grander scheme.

Plus most of the GML changes are being done on my own time

Russell
Had no idea most of the GML updates were coming out of your own time. As someone ridiculously anxious for variables to hold scripts+args I am even more grateful to see it on the roadmap now.

Thank you.

kupo15

Looking forward to the personal asset library and other great things to come! You guys are awesome! Can you please add these things to your list?

-Easy t-page assigning - have a list of all the resources and clicking a button moves the selected resource to a target t-page destination? I think its kinda silly to have to manually go into each resource individually to assign a group to it

-Upgrade the UX of the Search and Replace. Its more frustrating to use than before. No past search result predictive text, can't press enter to search for things, and the "replace" part is always defaulted to not being there so I have to click to expand the box every time

Last edited:
A

Adam Tompkins

Any update on when IPv6-only TCP/IP networking support will be listed on the Road Map?

Easy t-page assigning - have a list of all the resources and clicking a button moves the selected resource to a target t-page destination? I think its kinda silly to have to manually go into each resource individually to assign a group to it
You mean like this:

upload_2017-10-19_23-44-52.png

Under Tools->Texture Groups, you can select multiple sprites, then right click and move them to another group as you wish.

K

Kios

What sort of improvements/plans do you guys have for the web export going forward? I dont see anything related to it in the roadmap, and that I'm aware of we barely have change logs for GMS2

breakmt

My personal top wishes:
- attach points on sprites (!!!)
- some tool for internalization (not sure if it in plans), something like Android Studio does

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
What do you mean by internalization??? and what does Android Studio do (links to walkthroughs or examples would be good)?

Russell

breakmt

I mean some window where we can add strings for game texts in key-value format, define languages and see which translations is missing. I attached screenshot, probably it will give basic idea.
PS: I know we can do translations with .ini file, but I think it is not that handy. In my opinion.

translations4.png

GMWolf

aka fel666
In GML every variable that has ever been used could be part of an instance so the intellisense has to do this, until GML changes the visibility of variables (unlikely to happen) then this will not change.

EDIT: It will not show you local variables outside the current script - so consider using more local variables within code as they will only appear inside that script.

EDIT: I would consider a preference to say omit variables from other objects events (but it would keep scripts / timelines variables etc)

Russell
How about the following:
When just typing variables, limit intellisense to variables declared in the objects events.

When typing instance.variable, then display all possible variable names.

Of course this won't work for variables that are declared in scripts/other objects, but that's just bad practice anyways.

XanthorXIII

How about the following:
When just typing variables, limit intellisense to variables declared in the objects events.

When typing instance.variable, then display all possible variable names.

Of course this won't work for variables that are declared in scripts/other objects, but that's just bad practice anyways.
I think this was touched upon in another post by Russell but it sounded like it would very hard to do. I think though this needs to be fixed. Imagine trying to go through hundreds of variables to find the correct one? I made a Small Halloween Game and was getting lost on some of the variables. Probably need to use better naming conventions though.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I think this was touched upon in another post by Russell but it sounded like it would very hard to do. I think though this needs to be fixed. Imagine trying to go through hundreds of variables to find the correct one? I made a Small Halloween Game and was getting lost on some of the variables. Probably need to use better naming conventions though.
I think what was discussed was quite different to what I propose:
It was discussed to do actual type inference to find get variables tied to individual objects. But that is not how GM works.

Which is why I propose to filter variable from the given object only: if you access a variable in the step even code, Its probably a variable that has been used in another part of the same object.
however if you access a variable in a script, or through another variable (instance.variable) then there is nothing you can do and all variables must be displayed.

C

ColtonPhillips

Thanks for doing this YYG staff. I will read this when I have free time. Love to see road updates. Thumbs of from me!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
it's Q4 2017 so --> Additional Target Platforms --> Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3ds? :)
Switch support, functions, and structs would be a nice early Christmas present for everyone, wink wink, nudge nudge.
These incessant requests for Nintendo Switch support are really getting on my nerves.

Sure, as GM users we'd all like GM to become more powerful and support more platforms. But you've got to face the facts. If Microsoft and Sony have reasons to cut the purse strings on YoYo, that should say a lot about whether Nintendo would take YoYo under its wing.

K

Kuro

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffJ

These incessant requests for Nintendo Switch support are really getting on my nerves.

Sure, as GM users we'd all like GM to become more powerful and support more platforms. But you've got to face the facts. If Microsoft and Sony have reasons to cut the purse strings on YoYo, that should say a lot about whether Nintendo would take YoYo under its wing.
Well get ready to have those nerves tested even further.

Here's another request. We're not YoYoGames, we are their customers expressing where our interests lie. It's quite simple, really.

rIKmAN

Well get ready to have those nerves tested even further.

Here's another request. We're not YoYoGames, we are their customers expressing where our interests lie. It's quite simple, really.
How dare we pay hundreds of dollars / pounds for GMS2 and export modules and expect to able to express our opinions and wishes about features we'd like added / updated or what direction we the paying customer would like to see the software to go.

Not that it makes any difference at all to what actually happens, but still - how very dare we...

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You guys make it seem like YoYo can make the Switch export unilaterally, which is just plain naive.

If YoYo is being complacent and not even trying at all, I could understand the widespread demands for it. But there is clear evidence that they have tried, and there is even clearer evidence that vendors are actively turning YoYo down. XBox and PS being de-funded in GMS 2.x are clear signs that YoYo is unsuccessful in courting console vendors, and the general attitudes towards GMS 2.x Ultimate are clear signs that YoYo is unsuccessful in courting developers as well.

Because YoYo isn't getting vendor help, any development costs of the Switch export will be borne by YoYo. That will be passed down to us when it's done. How many of us develop full-time at a console-ready capacity and would buy it at the price point needed for YoYo to make a profit?

Nintendo holds the aces in what you want, quit acting like YoYo has them. Unless divine intervention strikes and then YoYo does a 180 in its direction, I don't see it happening and neither would anyone who understands corporate culture.

GMWolf

aka fel666
To be honest I'd rather see other features done first than additional platforms that I can't use at the moment. You know, like storing assets I can use from one game to the next. Those are the important features I need.
I fully agree.
The addition of inline functions and calling them through variables alone will completely change the way we work with GML.

And seriously, they shouldn't take that long to implement right? It's a parser/ compiler thing only!
The inline functions could just create new scripts, and the declaration be replaced with the new scripts index.
The calling is pretty straight forwards too. Replace anything that matches "foo()" with "script_execute(foo)".
Infact it's something I already built a preprocessor for a while back.(well, the inline part, not the calling part)

K

Kuro

How many of us develop full-time at a console-ready capacity and would buy it at the price point needed for YoYo to make a profit?
I think you've forgotten the entirety of this year's events. Recap: YoYo ditched the casual market to devote themselves to pursuing more serious users who have 100 - 1500 bucks burning a hole in their wallets, and who are willing to part with it for the right features. Now your argument is we can't tentatively suggest features more serious users would pay for, because we're too casual. lol. And it's not like suggestions are legally binding contracts, YoYo are perfectly capable of deciding what suggestions work for them and what don't.

XanthorXIII

I think you've forgotten the entirety of this year's events. Recap: YoYo ditched the casual market to devote themselves to pursuing more serious users who have 100 - 1500 bucks burning a hole in their wallets, and who are willing to part with it for the right features. Now your argument is we can't tentatively suggest features more serious users would pay for, because we're too casual. lol. And it's not like suggestions are legally binding contracts, YoYo are perfectly capable of deciding what suggestions work for them and what don't.
There’s a $40 version that’s a yearly now. I think that’s a pretty good value considering what you are getting for that. Others will charge you $100 a year or another even $35 a month to get the same value. On top of that you get a discount to buy the full desktop. The other guys don’t even do that.

K

Kuro

There’s a $40 version that’s a yearly now. I think that’s a pretty good value considering what you are getting for that. Others will charge you $100 a year or another even $35 a month to get the same value. On top of that you get a discount to buy the full desktop. The other guys don’t even do that.
Read what someone's replying to before replying to their reply with something that is entirely beside the point? In my initial post I was pointing out that FrostyCats argument is: we can't tentatively suggest features more serious users would pay for, because we're too casual. And I followed that up by pointing out YoYo's general trajectory is towards catering to developers who have more serious interests and more serious bucks. I'm not discussing YoYo's pricing, not criticising it (I like their pricing) I was citing it to back up an assertion completely unrelated to pricing.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
okay, this is going nowhere.

YoYo have not abandoned either casual developers, or beginners. a $40 product is less than a game these days, and gives a lot more in return. The $100 product is well within the budget of most learners as well, and should be nothing to anyone looking to make money in the casual market - any casual market.

The new Amazon Fire product also gives much cheaper access into the mobile market, and the new Amazon free trial also gives people to try it out for 60 days free, which is a great deal no matter which market your into.

Status
Not open for further replies.