• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX GameMaker Studio 2 on Macbook M1

talhagdkl

Hey!!

I'm planning to buy a Macbook, but I'm confused about some things:

- Do i need to have developer license for bulding and publishing a game on mac.(except for mac app store, app store..)
- If i develop on mac, can i transfer my project directly to windows to build and publish my game on windows.
- Finally, would you prefer on MacBook to Windows to make games in gamemaker?(If you've used GameMaker on windows before)

I'd appreciate it if someone using a mac could inform me.

Ricardo

- If you're talking about Apple's dev license, you don't need it to play around with in your own machine, but you'll need one if you plan on exporting for publishing (as the app needs to be signed and notarized via Xcode). If you're talking about GameMaker license, you need either the Creator license (12 months) or the Developer license (perpetual). I'm honestly not familiarized with the free trial.
- GMS2 projects can be opened and edited in both Windows and Mac. No problem at all.
- I have both and I prefer Windows myself as I find using GMS2 on Mac to be way more cumbersome - and honestly slower. My M1 Air doesn't beat my beefy PC on compiling times nor during debugging. This is a very subjective thing, though. It mostly depends on your personal preferences and previous experience. A M1 Macbook (both the Air and Pro) are good enough to use GameMaker even if you have the baseline model with only 8GB of RAM.

talhagdkl

- If you're talking about Apple's dev license, you don't need it to play around with in your own machine, but you'll need one if you plan on exporting for publishing (as the app needs to be signed and notarized via Xcode). If you're talking about GameMaker license, you need either the Creator license (12 months) or the Developer license (perpetual). I'm honestly not familiarized with the free trial.
- GMS2 projects can be opened and edited in both Windows and Mac. No problem at all.
- I have both and I prefer Windows myself as I find using GMS2 on Mac to be way more cumbersome - and honestly slower. My M1 Air doesn't beat my beefy PC on compiling times nor during debugging. This is a very subjective thing, though. It mostly depends on your personal preferences and previous experience. A M1 Macbook (both the Air and Pro) are good enough to use GameMaker even if you have the baseline model with only 8GB of RAM.
Yes, I meant Apple's license. Thank you for clearly informing and sharing your opinions.