• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX GameMaker Studio 2 on a Mac VM: high CPU + fan

F

FlamKeuch

Hello,
I'm running GameMaker Studio 2 on a Mac (Sierra), on a brand new Windows 10 VM.
I tried to run it in Parallels Desktop for Mac and VMWare Fusion.

In any cases, the CPU goes above 200% when GameMaker is running. My fans are very noisy and never stop meanwhile.

My config is:
- MacBook Pro (2011)
- 16 Go RAM
- SSD Samsung (very fast)
- Core i5 2,3 GHz.

Any idea for helping ? Something to tune ?
Thanks a lot.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Well, running in a VM we aren't in control of what it's doing so I'm not sure how much this will help, but if you go into the preferences->general->power saving, and set the % when on AC power to the same as when on battery power, it may help.

Since we are aiming to release a mac version, this isn't a huge concern for us right now - but give the above a go and see if it helps.

L

Lahssoo

I tested it with my MacBook pro retina (late 2013), up to date sierra + up to date parallels desktop 12 (running windows 10), it worked perfectly... So, luck based?

Anyway, whenever my mac goes crazy hot because of some software using everything it can (I'm looking at you, UE 4), I'm using turbo boost switcher which will deactivate intel turbo boost and keep your processor at its nominal speed. It could help.

Carsten

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. I'm running GMS2 on a Macbook Pro Retina 13.3 from late 2013 (2.6 GhZ, 8gb Ram) on Win 10 Pro natively (no VM) and it is extremely slow. It takes a couple of seconds (2-5) to open a script/object, scrolling is very laggy, the CPU is constantly at 100% and the Memory at 53%. Just FYI, there are no other processes in the background that consume CPU and GMS1.4 is runs pretty smooth and the overall win 10 experience is pretty fast. The game has roughly 60 objects and sprite assets, 30 scripts and currently only one room with 100-200 tiles/instances and approx 15 layers. Closing the room speeds up the software a bit.

Thanks, Carsten

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
That sounds like it is not using hardware rendering for the graphics but doing everything in software... check that your VM supports OpenGL - if you are using BootCamp then make sure that the Windows 10 has the proper graphics driver to support OpenGL

Russell

F

FlamKeuch

Thanks Russel,
What version of OpenGL is needed by GameMaker Studio 2 ?
Thanks

B

BlueLemming

I tested it with my MacBook pro retina (late 2013), up to date sierra + up to date parallels desktop 12 (running windows 10), it worked perfectly... So, luck based?

Anyway, whenever my mac goes crazy hot because of some software using everything it can (I'm looking at you, UE 4), I'm using turbo boost switcher which will deactivate intel turbo boost and keep your processor at its nominal speed. It could help.
This solved the loud fans for me. However, the performance of GMS 2 takes a pretty big hit (as expected). Running on a 2015 MacbookPro 15-inch which has an i7 and Iris Pro iGPU.

VMWare Fusion 8 supports up to OpenGL 3.1 and I assume that is what GM:S requires too.