OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 is officially out of beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rIKmAN

There is no Steam UWP export (and 1.4 has never had UWP on Steam for purchase), so there is no upgrade discount for that purchase path. You can still get the discount on the YYG website and then apply it to the Steam version afterwards.
OK thanks for clearing that up.
It's a shame though because purchasing through YYG works out £55 more expensive than if you could do it through Steam (based on the Mobile export Steam price which is the same price as UWP). It's not a massive amount I admit, but it's not an insignificant amount either.

Still, thanks for saving me some time messing with the account linking and wondering why it wasn't updating! :)

Hermit

I've upgraded to take advantage of the discount but I'm not happy about it. They've tied my hands and forced me to buy a product that doesn't exist yet. I would not have even known the discount was going away soon if I hadn't checked the forum by chance.

"No one is entitled to a discount," sure, but YoYo made the choice to provide one and they are handling it poorly. Defenders argue "they don't even have to provide a discount" as if discounts don't exist to make the company money. The amount of increased orders offsets the amount of funds lost. Do you really think discounts are provided out of the generosity of their hearts? They are getting an influx of cash that they apparently need right now.

I'd have preferred to upgrade on my own time: when I actually needed to use the product, when the product existed (all modules released). A one year extension on the upgrade paths from the time of full release would have been fair. If that detracted too much from their profit then they didn't have to offer such large discounts in the first place.

I want to support YoYo - I greatly like what they make and would have upgraded no matter what - but their PR decisions and managers continue to be embarrassingly unprofessional.

They've tied my hands and forced me to buy a product that doesn't exist yet.
Huh? If it didn't exist then you couldn't have bought it. Not sure of the logic here. If you are talking about the fact that not all of the export modules exist, then that does not constitute an existing product. And nobody forced you to buy it, you could just carry on using 1.x for as long as you want - especially if you have all the modules that you wanted in that version.

G

Guest User

I've upgraded to take advantage of the discount but I'm not happy about it. They've tied my hands and forced me to buy a product that doesn't exist yet. I would not have even known the discount was going away soon if I hadn't checked the forum by chance.

"No one is entitled to a discount," sure, but YoYo made the choice to provide one and they are handling it poorly. Defenders argue "they don't even have to provide a discount" as if discounts don't exist to make the company money. The amount of increased orders offsets the amount of funds lost. Do you really think discounts are provided out of the generosity of their hearts? They are getting an influx of cash that they apparently need right now.

I'd have preferred to upgrade on my own time: when I actually needed to use the product, when the product existed (all modules released). A one year extension on the upgrade paths from the time of full release would have been fair. If that detracted too much from their profit then they didn't have to offer such large discounts in the first place.

I want to support YoYo - I greatly like what they make and would have upgraded no matter what - but their PR decisions and managers continue to be embarrassingly unprofessional.
I agree tbh, I feel like I've been "forced" into upgrading when I wasn't really ready and I'll continue using 1.4 for a time at least.

Hermit

Huh? If it didn't exist then you couldn't have bought it. Not sure of the logic here. If you are talking about the fact that not all of the export modules exist, then that does not constitute an existing product. And nobody forced you to buy it, you could just carry on using 1.x for as long as you want - especially if you have all the modules that you wanted in that version.
Using 1.x until all of the modules are released is irrelevant to the fact they are using scummy business tactics. It's a pre-order. They are exploiting the fear of a customer missing out on a sale.

I

IMGames

Finally yay. I can put that license I paid for last year to good use. Very excited.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Hey, uh @Nocturne or anyone YYG, I want to activate my GMS2 on Steam just so it auto updates.
But I get this slightly scary message saying it will be permanently bound to my steam account... Does that mean it eats my stand-alone license?
I'm sure it doesn't. I just want to be sure.

I

IMGames

I bought it from YoYo last year, is it possible to connect it to steam?

hippyman

I'm having the same issue as IMGames. No add to steam button for me and I even double checked to make sure my account was linked.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
For the record, the timing on the GMS 1.x upgrade discount is still stated as "limited time only" on the official Get page.

I guess this 2-week notice for the GMC may very well translate to a 1-week notice for the general non-GMC userbase.

S

Storyteller

so, the software update from 1.4 to 2.0 is now 'complete'?

I tinkered with GMS2 a bit during the Beta, I found things I liked and things I did not. I intend to give this 'official non-beta' a go and see how it fares.
I rather liked 'the idea' of the workspace and some of the new features, but the beta was quite buggy and largely unusable at the time I was trying it out.
I will be attempting to create a couple of small games, such as a simple mouse avoider or 'breakout', possibly a platform game demo (the basic game that GM was built around) or endless runner, etc. Maybe the 'memory' game Im currently working on in [other game engine], just to see how it fares. Expect some fair feedback once I sit down to work on these.

I know I am highly critical of Yoyo, because I want GM to be the best it can. I will give you every ounce of leeway, but I expect a professional product worthy of potentially thousands of dollars (USD) for export modules etc. I am unlikely to upgrade during this initial sale, I have other obligations, but based on this review over the next few weeks, I will make a determination on whether I continue to use GM (since 4.3), and continue to recommend it to my students, now and in the future.

I hope you guys really hit a home-run here. There was a lot of potential in what you guys were going for, though as of about a month ago, I felt it still unpolished. Let's see what you guys have got.

requisite evil wink: ;)

G

Gargo

I have GMS1 pro+iOS export module and I want to upgrade to GMS2 with the same features.
Upgrade from your website:
60$+240$ = 300$
Buy a separate version on Steam:
50$+200$ = 250$

The upgrade is more expensive than buy a separate version? WTF?!

I hope you'll fix it

R

rui.rosario

I have GMS1 pro+iOS export module and I want to upgrade to GMS2 with the same features.
Upgrade from your website:
60$+240$ = 300$
Buy a separate version on Steam:
50$+200$ = 250$

The upgrade is more expensive than buy a separate version? WTF?!

I hope you'll fix it
I believe it to be something that was stated along in the GMC quite a bit but YYGs has no power over what sales Valve conducts through Steam nor over any exchange rates applied by it. An example of that is that for me, in Portugal, upgrading is still the most cost effective solution, while I've seen people stating they got GMS 2 for $30 through Steam in other regions.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Feniks

Nice to see it updated. Thanks a lot for discount as well. I'm new to it and mostly doing it for expirience but I don't mind paying for quality product.

Micah_DS

I've got some questions and feedback about the surveys, since it's out of beta and I'm running IDE v2.0.5.77:

I still had a feedback prompt pop up and I was under the impression that was only something that happened for the beta? I looked for a way to keep it from auto-popping up, but didn't see it in the preferences, though I may have missed it. I'd really like to have control to not have that pop up randomly. It's not a super big deal, but it is mildly intrusive. That said, I do like having the ability to offer feedback to help improve GMS2 and I will definitely use it if it remains in GMS2 in some form or another, but I'd rather just go give feedback when I'm ready to, as opposed to having it come up randomly. It'd also be nice to have the option to give feedback on all/any aspects of the IDE instead of just having seemingly random surveys. What if I want to give feedback on the room editor but all I have to choose from is the image editor? I expect there's some reason for it, but it seems odd how it works.

EDIT: In hindsight, I probably should have made a new topic to ensure my questions were seen by YYG. I guess I'll do that if I have another survey randomly pop up.

Last edited:
G

Gargo

I believe it to be something that was stated along in the GMC quite a bit but YYGs has no power over what sales Valve conducts through Steam nor over any exchange rates applied by it. An example of that is that for me, in Portugal, upgrading is still the most cost effective solution, while I've seen people stating they got GMS 2 for $30 through Steam in other regions.
Man it doesn't explain WHY upgrade is more expensive than buying from zero. It looks like a fraud

R

rui.rosario

Man it doesn't explain WHY upgrade is more expensive than buying from zero. It looks like a fraud
The thing is it is out of YYGs control. They had a market estimate and they went ahead with it (the upgrade path and normal prices). However, there has been unforeseen price fluctuations due to a third party. To us, consumers, we can take advantage of it to get the product at a lower price, but you cannot expect the company to stop practicing the prices they estimated (probably that ones that do make profit) just because a third party decided to practice prices they have no control over. If YYGs reacted to this price change then probably there would be more price changes by Valve and GameMaker's price would be constantly changing. So what they can do is keep practicing the prices they estimated and hopefully the Steam prices will become more in line with the business' goals.

Note: I have no affiliation whatsoever with YYGs financial department and such, I'm just commenting on what I believe to be the situation by information gathered across the community.

makas

In Mexico the steam price is 479 pesos, that's like 24 USD, so for me GMS2 was 2 times more expensive using the upgrade path....

Jabbers

The prices will not be exact conversions from USD into the currency of your country. It is generally well known that the prices of Steam products vary, based on the country they are sold in (including the value of the currency, the cost of basic goods, and various other factors) so as to not make the product disproportionately expensive. This is why there are region locks on products, and you can't simply trade / buy the cheapest version you can find.

YoYo could choose to increase the price in other regions. If you can get the product cheaper, then get it while you can.

Doesn't sound right to me. YoYo will have total control over their pricing for each currency, and should also have a big say in the sales of their product. You will not be forced to discount your product on launch by Valve, and you will not be forced to sell it for a price you do not want to sell it for. I'd like to see what post you are referring to please.

Micah_DS

^ THIS.

I'm on the fence about buying the web one on Steam, mostly because I don't want to only have the Steam version. I expect we can, but just want to be sure.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Hey, uh @Nocturne or anyone YYG, I want to activate my GMS2 on Steam just so it auto updates.
But I get this slightly scary message saying it will be permanently bound to my steam account... Does that mean it eats my stand-alone license?
I'm sure it doesn't. I just want to be sure.
This means you can't unlink then relink to another steam account. Once you link it, that software will remain on that steam account and you won't be able to move it to another one. If you disconnect your steam account and link another one, you'll not be given the option to link to this new one if you've already linked to a previous one.

Roderick

No, it looks like a third party seller putting a product up for sale at a promotional price.

If a company sells their product through their website, and also through retail stores, and Walmart decided to put that product on promotion, would you demand that the company sell the product for less than Walmart?

S

Storyteller

what day is the upgrade price over?
I dont think Ive seen an actual date just 'two weeks from now'

I will say this. I have a copy of Poser 7., sold by e-frontier. I can still upgrade to the latest version of poser, 5 versions and 10 years later at a substantial discount, which is now owned by a completely different company, smith micro. might not be every company out there, but THAT, is an upgrade policy worth considering.

S

Storyteller

awesome, thats after payday and I do not have to choose between food and game maker.

no seriously, I was pondering if I would have enough early crops in the garden and could get by on $0.25 noodle soup packs (ramen) to make it. I can forage wild onions and maybe trap a rabbit in the north field... but this will give me time to use GMS2 for a bit and grab the upgrade out of next payday instead.

I have a few things Ive found that really are slowing down work (besides the proprietary nature of GML :( ) but I have to say, overall I like the new design of GMS2. its the first time its really felt like a new program. I can tell the dev team tried really, really hard on this.

There is a short list of things that bug me:

• not being able to use either JS or C# (or another other 'non-proprietary language' ) is up there,
  • please for the love of all games ever to be made, let us pan the workspace by clicking on an empty space in the workarea
    without doing weird keyboard-fu, fix up some of the workspace navigation,
    I can tell not everything is there yet, like fit to / in / find view etc, but you can kinda tell its planned/meant to be
  • maybe rename sprites folder/assets to 'images'...

actually, thats mostly it, just those 3 right now, but I really do like what they've done with the place.

Ive been using [other game software that starts with U] for several years, and I do love said software, but GM is slowly winning me back, there is just something about how it operates for 2d development, also I like GM's pricing model better. Its not perfect, its not 'exactly how I would do things' but its pretty close.

I am in the midst of a simple avoider type game (move mouse, dodge falling things), its my 'test' of the released system. I should be done in a week or two (Im in midterm until next week and building a shed after that). If all goes well, I'll be pitching in my $60 to the dev team for all their hard work.

good deal guys. good deal. there is a reason Ive been around for you know, over ten years. keep doing updates like this, I'll be around another 10 or more

A

Acr515

Just curious, but is it still possible to get the original standard version of GameMaker?

Edit: nevermind I did some more digging, stupid question

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Just curious, but is it still possible to get the original standard version of GameMaker?

Edit: nevermind I did some more digging, stupid question
Maybe use someone else's account who once downloaded gms but doesn't want to use it... I wonder if that'd be illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.