OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 is officially out of beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Today marks the official Launch of the highly anticipated GameMaker Studio 2. The global launch follows our successful open beta and gives developers the ultimate tools to take creative concepts to market quickly and efficiently. GameMaker Studio 2 is now available from the YoYo Games website starting at $99.99.

GameMaker Studio 2 builds upon the best of its predecessor with rich new features and functionality that take the 2D game development environment to a new level. Beginners with limited to no coding experience will rest assured as the trademarked Drag and Drop system (DnD™) translates into actual code, while professional developers retain access to a powerful programming language and comprehensive set of tools for advance exporting and rapid deployment across all leading platforms including mobile, console and desktop.

With a completely redesigned User Interface, powerful new editors, enhanced monetization tools and more, GameMaker Studio 2 also introduces new features and improvements with:
  • Level editing features: new layer-based level editing gives developers the ability to create more complex visuals with backgrounds, tiles, instances, assets and paths. New features also include level inheritance to create multiple levels at once, and an advanced tiling system that automatically selects the right tile for the job;

• Cross-platform: available for Windows (Vista and above) for target development across multiple platforms including Windows Desktop, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, iOS, Android (including Android TV, Amazon Fire and Fire TV), PlayStation 4, Xbox One and more;

• Workflow enhancements: a new innovative workflow and seamless path from DnD™ to actual code with multiple workspaces, user definable resource views, real-time updates from one editor to another, and cross platform source level debugging;

• Native extensions: GameMaker Language (GML) supports all native targets to simplify the cross-platform development.
“GameMaker Studio 2 takes all the best features of the previous version and elevates game development for all levels by simplifying the process and allowing creators to focus on making fun and engaging games that can quickly come to market,” said James Cox, General Manager, YoYo Games. “YoYo Games is dedicated to supporting the community and delivering the tools to help developers be successful without breaking the bank.”

Tsa05

For those of us in the Beta, do we need to uninstall and install an official build, or is yesterday's update (2.0.5.76) the stable release?

N

Never Mind

I can't wait to switch over!

@YYG looks like you may have a broken image: (They fixed it)
Gms2_sgllinecenter_whiteonblack
brokenimgyoyo.png

I'm curious about the
+ Same question as those guys
I guess that it will be quite a while before any other sales / discounts come around. True?

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NPT

Upgrade will be available for another two weeks. ;)
Am I to interpret the smiley icon as, you being happy that the upgrade pricing is to last for only two weeks. Which in all honesty confuses me, as a prolonged upgrade pricing is not in many members best interest.

Or should I be interpreting the smiley icon as you joking.

Smiley icons have no business being used in an announcement like this from an authoritative user. Especially one who's signature states their opinion is not necessarily that of YYGs.

Would you please clarify?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Would you please clarify?
It's a friendly "knowing wink"... a symbol of sharing insider knowledge from time immemorial and not something to get your knickers in a twist about. It's being "friendly" and having "fun"... I'd post a "Why so serious" meme image here now, but I suspect you'd frown upon that even more... ;)

K

Kuro

Two weeks from today? That would mean it ends on the 22nd. I don't get paid till the 24th. Missing upgrade period by 2 days. Cause like most people I get paid monthly.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
It's a friendly "knowing wink"... a symbol of sharing insider knowledge from time immemorial and not something to get your knickers in a twist about. It's being "friendly" and having "fun"... I'd post a "Why so serious" meme image here now, but I suspect you'd frown upon that even more... ;)
If I tell you that this can cause a false alarm in a prospective upgrader's budget, would you still ask me "Why so serious"?

When the GMS 1-2 upgrade discount was announced, it came with a statement that it's available for a limited time until further notice. As a YoYo affiliate, your statement could be construed as that notice. I don't care if there's a cheeky hint on your signature that says your responses may be unrepresentative of YoYo, you know what hat you're wearing and you're saying that with your hat still on.

This particular piece "insider knowledge" has financial implications for customers, and shouldn't be stated in jest. Now please answer NPT and the rest of us eligible for the discount with a straight face and say exactly what you mean.

rIKmAN

Has this discount expiry been announced anywhere "officially", because if your post is the announcement then there is a risk of people who are eligible not seeing it.

Are all discounts going to be ended in 2wks, or will they be staggered the same way the export targets were?
ie. Desktop came out before Mobile, so will Mobile be discounted for longer so each target has the same duration of discount?

I know people asking for info regarding the expiry have had threads closed (me included) so is it safe to ask for information now it's out of beta?

N

NPT

_sigh_

Upgrade will be available for another two weeks.

I now understand why Playtech restricts unvetted announcements from YYGs personnel.

rIKmAN

Yes, they are afraid that announcements with winks and smilies will harm the sales of their products and their public image.
What could harm sales is repeatedly refusing to give any information on discount expiry, and then "announcing" a 2wk expiry window with a single line post buried in a thread on what we are constantly told is an "unofficial" forum which is used by a "small percentage of GMS users".

If people miss this information (likely unless it's officially announced) and then lose the discount, I would expect some would go to other engines due to cost and out of principle - so sales and public image would be lost.

G

Guest User

I'm pretty confused tbh. The upgrade to GMS2 is $60 and ends in 2 weeks (according to post #11 on this thread) but if I check steam its £45 and on offer until April the 9th. o_O

So.. which is it? 2 weeks or April the 9th?

HayManMarc

Nice to get some unofficial insider info on the discount expiration. Without that little tidbit, we could assume the discount would expire tonight! Thanks, Noc. (It's like a privilege to be connected thru the forum.)

K

Kuro

What could harm sales is repeatedly refusing to give any information on discount expiry, and then "announcing" a 2wk expiry window with a single line post buried in a thread on what we are constantly told is an "unofficial" forum which is used by a "small percentage of GMS users".

If people miss this information (likely unless it's officially announced) and then lose the discount, I would expect some would go to other engines due to cost and out of principle - so sales and public image would be lost.
Totally agree. I've already decided if I miss the window (which I will do by 48 hours) I'll just put the money I was going to spend on upgrading towards another engine instead.

HayManMarc

I'm having a really hard time understanding how it's YoyoGames's fault that anyone might miss the opportunity to get the discounted upgrade that has been offered over the last several months since the beta was released. Now that the offer is coming to a close, we see the procrastinators losing their shorts and threatening to jump ship.

Deja vu, anyone?

You still have a chance to get the discounted upgrade. Go get it.

Do you act this way at the supermarket when you find out you missed the sale on chocolate milk two days ago?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so, my reply to @NPT was a bit too flippant really and I shouldn't have poked fun at him for his tone, but instead paid attention to the content of what he was saying (and my apologies to @NPT)... so, addressing the real issue of whether the comment I made was ambiguous or not, here's the deal:

The upgrade discount will be available for two full weeks starting from launch day.

Has this discount expiry been announced anywhere "officially",
They have not been announced on the "official" YYG channels yet (I believe that will be getting done today).

Are all discounts going to be ended in 2wks, or will they be staggered the same way the export targets were?
Afaik, all discounts will be ended in two weeks, but I'll ask to make sure and if there is any staggering I'll be sure to post back (but if I don't assume they are all the same).

I'm pretty confused tbh. The upgrade to GMS2 is $60 and ends in 2 weeks (according to post #11 on this thread) but if I check steam its £45 and on offer until April the 9th. o_O
Steam and the upgrade discount are two different things. Steam prices and sales have always been run at a different pace to the YYG home page due to the way that Valve runs things.

is there anyway to get my current desktop GMS 2 license to steam?
I don't think that this is possible at the moment, but (again) I'll check and see if I can't get a concrete answer on it.

K

Kuro

I'm having a really hard time understanding how it's YoyoGames's fault that anyone might miss the opportunity to get the discounted upgrade that has been offered over the last several months since the beta was released. Now that the offer is coming to a close, we see the procrastinators losing their shorts and threatening to jump ship.

Deja vu, anyone?

You still have a chance to get the discounted upgrade. Go get it.

Do you act this way at the supermarket when you find out you missed the sale on chocolate milk two days ago?
I only found out about Gamemaker Studio 2 very recently. And only by total accident. I was very nearly in the same boat as anyone who only finds out due to the official announcment.

Since when is chocolate milk comparible to software upgrade paths? One is a disposable product you can pick up anywhere and the other is something offered by a company that's trying to reward customer "loyaly" while encouraging them to continue supporting them. In general it's a system that works quite well to the benefit of both parties, but only if the customer is given the chance to take advantage of it. But, if the customer isn't given enough time and warning to take advantage of it because it lasted a stupidly short amount of time then, how could anyone blame them if they felt like it was an empty gesture and that their "loyaly" might be better valued elsewhere?

In my case the discount officially ends the day before I officially get paid. So while you may scorn them, I totes sympathise with anyone who finds out about the launch today but won't make the window because they don't get paid till the end of the month.

To be fair, I might make it, barely, if the discount lasts longer than midnight UK time I might just have time to hop on it If I'm a quickdraw. I still sympathise for the inevitable unlucky ones.

aamatniekss

I only found out about Gamemaker Studio 2 very recently. And only by total accident. I was very nearly in the same boat as anyone who only finds out due to the official announcment.

Since when is chocolate milk comparible to software upgrade paths? One is a disposable product you can pick up anywhere and the other is something offered by a company that's trying to reward customer "loyaly" while encouraging them to continue supporting them. In general it's a system that works quite well to the benefit of both parties, but only if the customer is given the chance to take advantage of it. But, if the customer isn't given enough time and warning to take advantage of it because it lasted a stupidly short amount of time then, how could anyone blame them if they felt like it was an empty gesture and that their "loyaly" might be better valued elsewhere?

In my case the discount ends 48 hours before I get paid. So while you may scorn them, I totes sympathise with anyone who finds out today but won't make the window because they get paid at the end of the month.
Well the discount has been there since GMS2 was announced, it's only your own fault that you didn't get it sooner. They can't prolong the discount period for every new person finding about GM just now. What if someone finds out about GM on the last day of the discount and has no money? Should YoYo just prolong the discount for another month, so the guy can get some money?

You can always wait for another sale, or get the full price one. NO ONE is entitled to a discount.

M

Mors

Speaking of discounts and Steam, is it possible to get that 40% discount on Steam? I haven't activated GMS1 on Steam yet so I don't know if it gives you a discount coupon.

K

Kuro

Well the discount has been there since GMS2 was announced, it's only your own fault that you didn't get it sooner. They can't prolong the discount period for every new person finding about GM just now. What if someone finds out about GM on the last day of the discount and has no money? Should YoYo just prolong the discount for another month, so the guy can get some money?

You can always wait for another sale, or get the full price one. NO ONE is entitled to a discount.
It's a good way to look good to potential customers that. To act so entitied, as if people have nothing better to do than make themselves aware of a product before its even officially announced as fully released. And then to penalize them for not having done so. Good luck with that.

To be fair I totally agree with you that noone is entitled to discount. But that was never what I was saying, and since what I'm saying is lost on the powers that be, nevermind, forget i said anything.

aamatniekss

It's a good way to look good to potential customers that. To act so entitied, as if people have nothing better to do than make themselves aware of a product before its even officially announced as fully released. And then to penalize them for not having done so. Good luck with that.
Which other company has a 40% discount for their entirely new product for 4 whole months?! Isn't that too much to ask for already? You don't see the new Nintendo Switch launching with a 40% launch discount for 4 months.

R

RATInteractive

I paid £59 to be a beta tester and didnt even use it because it was buggy, now your telling me i could of got it for £45 on steam

WTF yoyo

G

Guest User

I just logged into my YYG account to upgrade and saw the price difference. Steam £45, standalone-upgrade £59
as much as I wanted the standalone version I'll be buying off steam ...not because I'm mean but because money is tight. :)

K

Kuro

Which other company has a 40% discount for their entirely new product for 4 whole months?! Isn't that too much to ask for already? You don't see the new Nintendo Switch launching with a 40% launch discount for 4 months.
Company Allegorithmic: Substance Designer 6. Launched 15 Feb (not a beta btw, a full launch). Upgrade discount 50%. Discount expires 16/05/2017.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hmm... do they know it isn't going to sell well?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I paid £59 to be a beta tester and didnt even use it because it was buggy, now your telling me i could of got it for £45 on steam
I just logged into my YYG account to upgrade and saw the price difference. Steam £45, standalone-upgrade £59
Valve are based in the USA and do not have the same taxes to pay as YYG, who have to add on VAT to the sales price... so I'm pretty sure that that is where the difference comes from.

D

DragonHorse

I'm not coming down on either side; but to play devil's advocate... there's no obligation to offer a discount at all and many companies don't. By the same token, there are also many companies that say, "If you have version X, then you can upgrade to version Y with a discount of Z% indefinitely"

rIKmAN

Okay, so I've asked about this and there will be a licence path to connect Steam/YYG accounts made available very soon.
Does this mean buying on Steam and connecting it to your YYG account will allow you to also access the standalone version? Similar to how a standalone purchase in 1.4 got you Steam access after 14 days.

Also, the UWP module on Steam does not show a discount as it has no idea I own 1.4 UWP because there are no Steam keys available for it when I recover my licences.

Will the discount for UWP be available on Steam at all?

sylvain_l

Valve are based in the USA and do not have the same taxes to pay as YYG, who have to add on VAT to the sales price... so I'm pretty sure that that is where the difference comes from.
it a bit aside the thread, but I'm curious what does the country of the seller have to do with VAT ?
Not an expert but for digital shouldn't be VAT based on customer location ? (I believed it was how the thing evolved few years ago, at least inside EU, and is in place for outside EU sellers who sells to a EU customers longer ago)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Does this mean buying on Steam and connecting it to your YYG account will allow you to also access the standalone version? Similar to how a standalone purchase in 1.4 got you Steam access after 14 days.
Yes. And it'll be instant now as the system has changed. And what I said about Steam linking coming very soon actually meant to say "is available now". Should be able to link accounts from now on...

Also, the UWP module on Steam does not show a discount as it has no idea I own 1.4 UWP because there are no Steam keys available for it when I recover my licences.
There is no Steam UWP export (and 1.4 has never had UWP on Steam for purchase), so there is no upgrade discount for that purchase path. You can still get the discount on the YYG website and then apply it to the Steam version afterwards.

RujiK

Now that GMS is out of beta, does it still require a monthly internet connection to work? If so, is it possible to monthly authenticate your copy of GMS 2 from a different computer? Meaning can I use GMS on my HOME Computer and on a DIFFERENT computer tell yoyo that my GMS on HOME computer is still legit?

I'm one of those weird plebs with no internet at home.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
As far as I understand how the licencing works, you will indeed need to verify each install of GMS2 at least once a month... And no you can't authenticate from a different computer. The licence is not tied to the install but to your account, and you are permitted 3 active logins at any one time. So if you log in on a different machine, this gets registered as one of the three permitted logins. I'll ask about this tomorrow to make sure, but I'm pretty certain that this is how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.