• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GameMaker Studio 2 is not enterprise software

R

ryantboldt

I must say that yoyo games successfully figured out the billing aspect to enterprise software. The smoothest part of our deployment of GameMaker Studio 2 was how we had to pay for and create over 100 "seats" to use the login-required software. However in my past 5 years of software deployment in an enterprise environment GameMaker Studio 2 represents roughly 1 of 3 pieces of software out of 100 that didn't provide an msi for silent unattended installation or at least some flags to throw at the .exe. I was able to repackage the installer using a 3rd party utility snapshotting before and after the install I was able to deploy GMS2 to the 100 computers we paid for licenses for... Why do they make it so easy to purchase hundreds of licenses and then provide no way other than manual attended installation for deployment? Licensing of the software shouldn't be the ONLY enterprise aspect.

So after I was able to deploy the software we paid for without sending a technician to 100 computers I realize that without an msi or exe flags to disable auto-updates or update checks that every time a student logs into GMS2 they get prompted with an update window. Here's the fun part... We don't allow students to have local admin on district computers. This is a almost universal enterprise situation... end-users typically do not get local admin. So when someone gets prompted for an update.... they couldn't install it if they wanted to. So then I began wondering if I could solution a way to launch GMS2 as admin using an auto-it script. I could create a shortcut that launches GMS2 elevated even if the windows user isn't.

HOWEVER because GMS2 cannot even self-update... the update prompt simply downloads a separate exe... it doesn't make it possible to launch GMS2 elevated and have it update. I'd have to anticipate every single update exe naming scheme. This is not possible.

If GameMaker Studio 2 and YOYO games wants to refrain from being an enterprise software then fine.. Own it and don't sell hundreds of seats with enterprise-like licensing and billing solutions. However if you're going to take the time to figure out how to bill us like an enterprise, please make an effort to toss us a bone with an msi and some flags.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If GameMaker Studio 2 and YOYO games wants to refrain from being an enterprise software then fine.. Own it and don't sell hundreds of seats with enterprise-like licensing and billing solutions. However if you're going to take the time to figure out how to bill us like an enterprise, please make an effort to toss us a bone with an msi and some flags.
YYG are well aware of this shortfall and I believe steps are being taken towards resolving the issue.

R

ryantboldt

YYG are well aware of this shortfall and I believe steps are being taken towards resolving the issue.
That would be great. In the meantime the best I can hope for is to block YYG update servers on a network level. Hopefully that doesn't break any other functionality.