OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

D

Drewster

And

GMS 2 is an entirely new program, not just a few updates. Plus guy get trade in credit without actually trading it in with a 40-50% discount.

How many car companies would give give you half off a new car and tell you to keep the old one to.
Lol. I'm with you on this whole thing, Llama!

D

Drewster

Thanks for your understanding, it actually means a lot to me that people "get" why. And yes, not everyone will want to upgrade, and that's totally fine.. "Personally"...and I mean me personally, if it were me.... I'd snap up the "desktop" export cheap, and then see how I get on with it. The 50% discount for MC users makes desktop a steal (to me...although I'll admit, I'm biased!) The discount will last for a "while", it's not going to go overnight - it's just not going to last forever

Yeah sorry, the trial currently has no shader access.

HTML5 does have the new tile support, and this massively speeds up tile rendering - and it has the layer stuff, which I love. Even with multiple tile layers, in canvas mode, it's much quicker - and you get tile animation which to me is a huge feature, the whole "world" can change all the time. Its very cool. And it has new GML features, and the new "clean up" event.... it does have a fair bit.
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure if I missed this somewhere.. I saw in a prior post someone wrote that there's a "test" mode, which you can test on your dev machine (pc) but can't export to windows. If this isn't already the plan, maybe a test-only version should be a free giveaway. Ie, with NO exports -- not windows, not mobile, etc.. So you can develop. You can test - sort of. Get a feel for the product, but once you're even a bit serious you need to buy an export. Just a thought. You need some kind of free version to get the masses in the door. Or maybe make that a future HumbleBundle with some demos or something. just a thought.

B

BlueSlime

feeling dumb I bought the MC at $799 now =/

At least GM 2 isn't on a monthly subscription plan.... maybe I can upgrade one day

HAEGOE

"Upgrade discounts can be combined but do not stack, and will be available for a limited time only." I wanna ask about this..

For the former, does that mean if I have pro and android for gms1, then I can have 40% discount for desktop and mobile respectively, but even if I have android and iOS for gms1, I still get 40% for mobile, not 80%, right?

And for the latter, does that means if I'm too late I have to by those at full price? I'm not sure I can afford them now, and I don't know how long that lasts.
...welp, maybe I shouldn't complain about that, since I got gms1 from 2015 humble bundle.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Can people please stop calling it GM2? It is GMS2. GMS2 is over a thousand dollars at full price and is the latest thing. GM2 is extremely old and freeware. That's a huge difference. *rant over*

G

gamible

Can people please stop calling it GM2? It is GMS2. GMS2 is over a thousand dollars at full price and is the latest thing. GM2 is extremely old and freeware. That's a huge difference. *rant over*
Okay noted, will stop calling it GMS2 :D :D :D

Z

zendorf

Nice work Yoyo devs, this looks great and the upgrade price is a steal! I am so excited to use that new room editor :) A few questions that come to mind:

- Is the license locked to an individual machine or can I run one license on several computers(not at the same time).

- With it now being DX11, is the runner a rewrite? Can we expect performance increase compared to 1.4/DX9?

- When importing a 1.4 project will the deprecated commands such as instance_create be replaced with the new instance_create_depth, or will it use the same instance_create command called as a script?

- does globalvar still exist?

rIKmAN

1.x - the IDE is feature locked and will get no more additions. Critical bugs will be looked at.

Runner fixes will be on going, as much of it is still used on GameMaker Studio 2. How many new features are exposed to the 1.x runtime is not decided - I'd "assume" not much.
I asked this earlier in thread and hope it was missed rather than ignored, but is the Spine update going to me made available for GMS1?

Multiple staff members have mentioned this update in the last few months with no indication at all that it would only be available for GMS2, so I hope this isn't the case.

D

Diptoman

As a long-time user and a loyalist, I will be getting the Master Collection discount to get the new one (also, very impressed with the new stuff, having spent some time in the beta over the past few months). With that said, I am honestly disappointed at the pricing model in general (not the amount).

While other engines have gone towards free + subscription (or royalty) based models, this new pricing model seems to undo some things which I recently liked about GM:S1.x's pricing - namely, the feature-complete free version. This affects 3 groups very directly (and these groups are the ones I'm most familiar with - so I may be biased).
  • Hobbyists and indies who try out new things - particularly during game jams where people experiment with things, which is why I find so many people using GM:S at different game jams. Now with the minimum paywall being 99$, I'm assuming this group will be gone.
  • Devs in poorer countries. 99$ in my home country is about 1/5th of a month's salary. Sure, it doesn't affect me that much now since I moved overseas for work, but I have so many friends whose allegience will stay with Unity for the very reason they have a feature-complete free version (or with pirated software). I would consider this valuable, seeing as basically how Unity, Unreal and cocos-2d dominates everything in my home country (emerging markets?). Heck, I won't even recommend GM:S as a starting point to people there now, because it just became unfeasible.
  • Some smaller teams with no immediate budget. The team I work with in my free time finally got necessary Pro modules from the first Humble deal. Before that, they used the free version to test things (they're artists), while I used my Master Collection to build. They can't do that now because of resource limits. This, however, also relates to the previous point in my case.
This is not even getting into the fact that even now, I will have to save up to buy the software, whereas I can afford a subscription easily and hence is more accessible to me - even if in the long run, it's a loss on my side (and a constant revenue stream on YYG's end).

Just to be clear, I'm sure a ton of research has gone into this decision, and maybe the segments I mentioned don't make up much of the market for Yoyo to concentrate on them - so I'm not saying they're wrong. I just personally don't understand, and GM:S lost a part of its universal appeal to me, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Ninjinister

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that the upgrade price is terrible. Sure it seems like this is a rebuild from the ground up, but it seems like the biggest thing with GMS2 is that it finally fixes the ongoing issues of GMS1.x.

I purchased GMS within the 1st year of it coming out and got the Master Collection for $599....now I get to $524 for the upgrade? That's not a good deal at all, and I feel that those who purchased Master Collection (not on Humble Bundle) should have a more decent upgrade price. I think it will also be beneficial to YoYoGames to provide a better discount to these specific users because there will be a need to have more quality marketplace items.
It's not the discount I'm concerned about because 50% is pretty generous, it's the fact that even WITH the discount I'd be paying more for the "whole enchalada" version of GM:S2 than I did for GM:S Master Collection. And without the Master Collection-type bundle like GM:S, instead of paying once and then not having to worry about new modules (or "licenses" in this case), I'd have to well... buy more later down the line.

MY ACTUAL QUESTION THOUGH
Console lists PS4 and Xbox One only. Ignoring any stuff that GM:S didn't support... does that mean that PS3 and Vita aren't supported anymore? I mean I know PS3 is on its way out but there are games still coming out for it... but the Vita, despite Sony's nigh-complete first-party abandonment, is still getting something like 20 games a month in some months, worldwide.

F

FinalQ

Required Game Platforms

Windows
  • Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10
  • XP is not supported, Vista will require manual install of DirectX 11
Progress - is good. But there are a lot of people are unable to use DX11 or still sitting on the XP.
Is available the ability to run games on machines with DX9? Because, if such a possibility is not, then buy GMS2 is called into question in the near future. The percentage of users using DX9 still very high.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Hey TV, what happened to your inside 'scoop' that this wasn't going to be called 'GMS 2'?
I posted on the forums: 'That's not the official name (but I can't share it). GM:Next was always just a placeholder for the next generation of GM.'

However, at the time it wasn't going to be called GMS 2. Things changed (for the better, in my opinion!)

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Fixed. :)

I got my first crashes already haha

It happens sometimes when I attempt to popout a tab. Has this happened to anyone?
Please file a bug and supply the UI.log file (from C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/ ).

Nice work Yoyo devs, this looks great and the upgrade price is a steal! I am so excited to use that new room editor :) A few questions that come to mind:

- Is the license locked to an individual machine or can I run one license on several computers(not at the same time).

- With it now being DX11, is the runner a rewrite? Can we expect performance increase compared to 1.4/DX9?

- When importing a 1.4 project will the deprecated commands such as instance_create be replaced with the new instance_create_depth, or will it use the same instance_create command called as a script?

- does globalvar still exist?
1 - I'll ask about licencing. A few people have asked and I simply do not know.
2 - The runner is NOT a complete rewrite, but it DOES have optimisations so yes, you should expect better performance, but it will be in the areas which are new, ie: layers and tiles and matrices, etc...
3 - The devs have done an amazing job creating "compatibility scripts" to replace the removed functions, so 1.4 projects should "just work"...
4 - Sadly, globalvar DOES still exist, mainly for compatibility with 1.4 games... But everytime you use it a puppy dies.

I asked this earlier in thread and hope it was missed rather than ignored, but is the Spine update going to me made available for GMS1?
Missed, not ignored! I'll ask, but I vaguely remember hearing that there was a spine update being pushed out...

Console lists PS4 and Xbox One only. Ignoring any stuff that GM:S didn't support... does that mean that PS3 and Vita aren't supported anymore? I mean I know PS3 is on its way out but there are games still coming out for it... but the Vita, despite Sony's nigh-complete first-party abandonment, is still getting something like 20 games a month in some months, worldwide.
At the moment neither PS3 nor Vita will be supported.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Guys if you get crashes in the IDE can you please file bugs, and include your ui.log file (find it in c:\programData\GameMakerStudio2). This is very important to us for making a good stable product that everyone will want to use!

If you find bugs in the runner, please file that as well, along with the exported .yyz!

I believe the spine update is also in 1.x - along with the new event as well.

rIKmAN

Missed, not ignored! I'll ask, but I vaguely remember hearing that there was a spine update being pushed out...
Thanks Nocturne I appreciate it!

As I said a couple of YYG Staff said an update would be coming out in relation to GMS1 over the last couple of months, so I've been patiently waiting for it before I can properly start on my new project - to find out the update would now be GMS2 only would be a bit of slap in face, so fingers crossed!

I believe the spine update is also in 1.x - along with the new event as well.
You posted while I was typing - OK that's awesome news and a big relief!
Thanks for the clarification, and if you could confirm this I would be most grateful.

PS. Is the new event the "Spine Events"?

Micah_DS

On the topic of 3D. I see the new way to create cameras with a projection matrix and I see the gpu functions. Awesome. But I'm perhaps overlooking the functions that would allow for creating 3D models with UV coordinates? Please tell me this is still possible.

N

Ninjinister

Nocturne said:
At the moment neither PS3 nor Vita will be supported.
Dahh bummer. Thanks for the quick response, though. Guess for those platforms I'd have to either A) wait and see if it comes to fruition, or B) stick with GM:S1 for the time being when working on things for those.

Does the mobile license cover mobile-ish consoles (Razer Forge/Apple TV/Amazon TV/Android TV)?

Z

zendorf

@Nocturne, thanks for the replies....all sounds good. Yes, I now know that globalvar is a thing of evil, but I have used it all over a large longterm project before I knew any better, so good to hear that is not deprecated!

Now, who do I have to pay to get access to the beta :)

H

heyimdandan

I'm a bit disappointed that YoYo Games chose to keep Studio 2.0 compatible with Studio 1.x projects when they could have done a revamp of GML instead. I thought that Studio 2.0 was going to be a clean slate.
I don't see the sense in revamping the GML language at all. Talk about alienating your user base. A lot of the concepts within GameMaker make a lot of sense, who on earth would want to learn an entirely new programming language?

H

heyimdandan

I think posting an end-of-support/end-of-lfe date for 1.4 SOON is a very good idea. I'm NOT advocating ENDING support soon, just specifying some future date. A future date when the last update will be released and a date after which support will no longer be available. Again, I wouldn't want those dates to be super soon, but clarifying them will get all the griping over at once.

Something like:

- March 31, 2017 -- Final 1.4 release with any new features should coincide with the non-beta release date of 2.0.
- June 30, 2017 -- last 1.4 maintenance/bug-fix release
- September 30, 2017 -- end of (meaningful) support.

As i write this, I'm not even sure about that. There will definitely be a 3-6 month window where YY will still need to support the old and do some bug-fix maintenance release. But every bit of energy that goes into that is energy taken away from supporting 2.0. With 2.0 being a complete rewrite, there will be a LOT of support needed for the first 18 months. Lots of updates. Lots of bug fixes. Lots of user support. Lots lots lots. Ideally I'd say to support 1.4 for a year afterwords.

Or perhaps a simple "end of life" date, after which updates and support no longer happen. Typically when companies do that, they taper off as they approach that date. But having a "this is definitely the final release of 1.4" date/notice would be helpful.

I don't know. Solutions seem obvious when you first write them, but they are always products of 100 compromises. Hm.
I for one won't be upgrading until I know V2.0 is entirely stable, and I doubt that will happen by October 2017! I'll be sticking with 1.4 for some time yet mainly because it works very well. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself to be honest!

I really don't like the drag&drop system and UI, but maybe that's because I don't use drag&drop in the first place. Also I am fundamentally biased against windows 8 and your icons all look like some ridiculous windows 8 ripoff.

However your drawing while animating system looks absolutely awesome and I can imagine beautiful things would come out of that!
So kudos to you.

H

heyimdandan

Does the pricing of the console branch bother anyone else? The fact that the price isn't listed could mean that Yoyo haven't finalised the supported consoles? I'm wondering if they're withholding the price until they have a confirmation on Switch support.
Switch support... I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo are far too precious about their half assed consoles. I'm still hanging on for the Sega Megadrive module, which is likely to be confirmed around the same time.

Z

zendorf

Cool, my timing was good this time around...almost finished downloading :)

COWCAT

Just to make sure...
Does the video card running the game actually NEED DirectX 11 functions, or is any card running Windows 7 enough?

According to Steam stats, there are still about 15% of people who don't have a DirectX 11 GPU. That's far from negligible. And this is Steam, casual gamers often have more outdated computers/cards.

Last edited:
F

faissaloo

How is anonymous data collection morally reprehensible?

I'm all for it, if it helps make a better more stable product.
First of all, where's your guarantee that it's anonymous? Can you see the source code? And what makes you think Yoyo can't see what IP a piece of data is coming from? Are they routing the data through TOR or something? Why am I not given a choice in this matter as a user of a game or a developer? Remember that Yoyo isn't a small little company anymore, they're owned by Playtech now.
It's morally reprehensible because I have no right as a developer to be imposing tracking on my users, especially when I have no guarantee about what that data actually contains.

Z

zendraw

dividing the engine according to what your going to export is the worst part about this game maker. overall the new gms seems to be more fancy and convinient then that big of a deal.

F

faissaloo

Doesn't phase me if they know my IP address.
You might not care, and I might not care, but my users might.

You know that they have your IP right this second by posting here?
I use a VPN.

How do you think duplicate accounts are detected?
Not by tracking my users.

I think YYG has bigger things to worry about that what IP address some kid is using their software from.
The games I make are not their software and what if they got hacked?

If you are really stressed about what data they are stealing from you, do a packet capture when starting up GMS. ;)
I'm far more concerned about what data they're collecting from my users.

C

Christoffer Karlsson

i would like to see the discount for regular users go to 30% and for MC users stay at 50%, or maby regular users stay at 40% and MC go to 60%, would that be the most fair think to do? just throwing around ideas here :)

E

Eugen_M

Please guys, ive been reading this thread and i couldnt find a proper answear to a very important question i had since game maker studio 1.3

Does GMS2 finally have multi threading support? Its so important to me as it could open up sooo many performance possibilities

P

ParodyKnaveBob

I'll tell you what.... If a GMS 1.x bug ever actually kills you - directly, I'll fix the bug and personally refund your widow. (this may be a lie)
actual GMS 1.x EULA said:
5. Warranties and Liability

YOYO GAMES PROVIDES ALL VERSIONS OF THE SOFTWARE "AS IS" AND DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR REPRESENTATIONS (WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ORAL OR WRITTEN) WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING FILES.YOYO GAMES DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL FUNCTION WITHOUT INTERRUPTION OR BE ERROR FREE, THAT YOYO GAMES WILL CORRECT ALL DEFICIENCIES, ERRORS, DEFECTS OR NONCONFORMITIES OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS.

5.7. YoYo Games, its developer and their licensors do not seek to exclude or limit liability for any death or personal injury arising from their negligence.
$:^ D

good to hear that [PKB edit: globalvar] is not deprecated!
Oh no, listen to those lovely deprecated descriptions. Mm, mm, dep-rec-a-ted. $:^ P
(Just not obsoleted, unfortunately. But don't worry, everyone surely knows what you meant. Just having a little semantics fun, heheh.)

N

neverk

@People whining about the upgrade price:
Do you expect to get discount when you buy a sequel of a game? How is this different?

E

Eugen_M

Probably internally, but not as far as end user access goes. You'll need a DLL. ;)
Thank you @Lonewolff, they were once a few years ago considering implementing this much needed feature on gamemaker 2, how many phones, laptops, pcs, consoles run on a single core these days? pretty much None! Im still hopefull that 1 day they will add that much needed feature.

rIKmAN

@faissaloo - who said anything about your creations reporting back to YYG?
YoYo did...
Does GameMaker Studio 2 send any data to YoYo Games?

GameMaker Studio games send analytics data to YoYo Games, both from the IDE and the from the games you create. Both will send data about the PC running the program (things like monitor size, CPU, GPU, memory, etc…) and final games will also send data on what the game is. This data is being accumulated so that we can better target our service towards the needs of the user, and in the future we hope to make this data available to developers (much like Steam does with their Steam Software Survey).
Taken from the GMS2 FAQ