OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
I only have one complaint really and its not so much about the price, but the quality of content on the html5 export specifically. I'm really curious as to why anyone would want to buy it because it doesn't seem anything aimed at html5 has been improved directly?

What justifies the price?
I will primarily be using the HTML5 export: the new UI alone is worth the price of admission. If a 40% productivity boost results in even a 5% boost to my profits, it will have been money well spent.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Okay, you're right. I might be overreacting a bit - my apologies
Thanks for your understanding, it actually means a lot to me that people "get" why. And yes, not everyone will want to upgrade, and that's totally fine.. "Personally"...and I mean me personally, if it were me.... I'd snap up the "desktop" export cheap, and then see how I get on with it. The 50% discount for MC users makes desktop a steal (to me...although I'll admit, I'm biased!) The discount will last for a "while", it's not going to go overnight - it's just not going to last forever

Yeah sorry, the trial currently has no shader access.

HTML5 does have the new tile support, and this massively speeds up tile rendering - and it has the layer stuff, which I love. Even with multiple tile layers, in canvas mode, it's much quicker - and you get tile animation which to me is a huge feature, the whole "world" can change all the time. Its very cool. And it has new GML features, and the new "clean up" event.... it does have a fair bit.

Roa

I will primarily be using the HTML5 export: the new UI alone is worth the price of admission. If a 40% productivity boost results in even a 5% boost to my profits, it will have been money well spent.
Maybe, but I'd say you see the value differently given your pocketbook. lol You probably make more in 3 months than I make in a year :p Not really worth a GUI switch for me, even if it is better. I mean, 150 bucks for no major change and to walk away from an interface, even though clunkier, is one I'm already used to.

[edit]- didnt see Mike ninja-ed in there real quick.

Roa

I'm with you. Skimming through the new function list doesn't show anything hugely ground breaking. With most being able to be done in GMS 1.x without too much hassle.

It seems that more has been removed than added now also.

But, people have been crying for a new IDE for years and that's what they got. The old IDE never really bothered me.
Oh no. I love the features, I just wasnt sure how much of it would improve html5, and that was without a doubt gamemakers weakest platform already. Fun export, but even by html5 standards, its rough around the edges and creeps along. I look forward to improved speeds on it. (still, websockets that can transfer to the normal network event would be super! hint-hint )

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
... if it were me.... I'd snap up the "desktop" export cheap, and then see how I get on with it. The 50% discount for MC users makes desktop a steal (to me...although I'll admit, I'm biased!) The discount will last for a "while", it's not going to go overnight - it's just not going to last forever.
(snip)
Seems like a bargain -- so I'll definitely jump on the early discount when it's available. Certainly for the desktop. The HTML5 too, assuming it supports box2D again. (It's broken in the last couple of 1.4 versions.)

funkygallo

Seems like a bargain -- so I'll definitely jump on the early discount when it's available. Certainly for the desktop. The HTML5 too, assuming it supports box2D again. (It's broken in the last couple of 1.4 versions.)
...and also I hope will be option to use or not the webgl (I need WITHOUT webgl for the Wii U)

XanthorXIII

I own a MasterCollection and I plan on buying again from YoYo for what is mind blowingly awesome software. YoYo showed the cards today and they are holding a Royal Flush.

B

Blakkid489

I like it but I think it isnt as user friendly as the others. Other than that my wallet is open yoyogames

A

Alessio

Another question, since something is unclear about the image editor. Can you actually set a specific speed for specific frames or will you have to make it manually with code? Because that would be very handy.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can't set a time for each frame in the editor, no. It's an overall time for all frames.

E

ericbomb

Explains why they were giving away GMS in the humble bundle since they expect anyone who likes GMS to buy GMS2. That's a steep price though so I'll probably stick to GMS for awhile....

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Technically, 2 is NOT compatible with 1.4... a LOT of functions have been removed, or renamed, or changed. For example "instance_create" no longer exists!!!! However the devs have worked really hard to create a load of "compatibility scripts" for all the removed or changed functionality, and these scripts use the new functions to mimic 1.4 stuff... So, you CAN import 1.4 games and they should "just work", but it's because of these scripts.... :)

A

Alessio

You can't set a time for each frame in the editor, no. It's an overall time for all frames.
Too bad. But will not be a tragedy, since i've done that before and wasn't very hard to implement.

I've got another last question. While i've found out about the cool feature seen with the Tilemap editor, i didn't notice if there is a multi-select option in the Room editor. I'd really try to find out by myself but i don't feel like joining the beta and i would wait the full release.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Too bad. But will not be a tragedy, since i've done that before and wasn't very hard to implement.

I've got another last question. While i've found out about the cool feature seen with the Tilemap editor, i didn't notice if there is a multi-select option in the Room editor. I'd really try to find out by myself but i don't feel like joining the beta and i would wait the full release.
You can always duplicate frames, they aren't duplicated on a texture sheet so it's pretty "free" really...

Yes, there is multi-select. Lots of selection options actually.

H

Harrk

I'm a bit disappointed that YoYo Games chose to keep Studio 2.0 compatible with Studio 1.x projects when they could have done a revamp of GML instead. I thought that Studio 2.0 was going to be a clean slate.
They did just... you know... rebuild the entire ide from scratch. I have no doubt we'll see a GML revamp but I'd rather get a new IDE now rather than wait three more years for a GML revamp to come with it. :)

A

Alessio

You can always duplicate frames, they aren't duplicated on a texture sheet so it's pretty "free" really...

Yes, there is multi-select. Lots of selection options actually.
Well, then i can deem the new tool definitely improved.

Because, i'll be outspoken, using the old Room Editor was like trying to listen Vivaldi with your portable media player at a Heavy Metal concert.

A

Annoyed Grunt

Honestly I feel... disappointed?
None of the things I really felt were needed, except for the new, improved Room Editor made it in. The "improved inheritance" sounds intriguing though, it is possible to create extensions now without having to create a thingy_init() or thingy_setup() script?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Because, i'll be outspoken, using the old Room Editor was like trying to listen Vivaldi with your portable media player at a Heavy Metal concert.
Actually... it was like using your nose to paint the Mona Lisa - in the dark, with a dog biting your family jewels, while trying to eat a ham sandwich and balancing on a dead parrot named Fred.

But I get your drift :)

.....a thingy_init() or thingy_setup()....
That's up to you.... if you don't need them, don't use them. I hardly ever use them. Depends on your GML and extension. shrug

RangerX

Amazing new products guys.
I will totally buy it to make my second game project. The Life Ruby will stay on GMS1 though, too much porting assle.

G

grixm

I have two questions..

Will there be a warning a few days before the upgrade discount is no longer valid?

And regarding 1.4, you mention that it will have continued support. What is the extent of this? Specifically I wonder whether suggestions/bugs that are already in the bug tracker will ever be implemented. Even more specifically, I wonder about this one: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=18264

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
1.x - the IDE is feature locked and will get no more additions. Critical bugs will be looked at.

Runner fixes will be on going, as much of it is still used on GameMaker Studio 2. How many new features are exposed to the 1.x runtime is not decided - I'd "assume" not much.

RizbIT

it loks more advanced looking and more customizable....BUT.....not again!...Just when i got reallyused to GM 8 they came out with Game Maker Studio....

I just kinda got used to that and now theyve changed it all as opposed to building on the current one and improving that.

Are we able to keep the v1 (1.4 etc...) if we dont want the version 2?

If yes will version 1 still be supported via bug fixes etc..

kupo15

Really exciting, can't wait for the full feature purchase in Q1 to come out. I will spend all the time I need to port my current massive project Rising Spirit over to it. I hope to hear more about dynamic resource loading in the future. Reading that it isn't available for the beta gives me good hopes that Yoyo is addressing large project games with GMS2 :D

M

Mocgames998

I noticed that all D3D functions have been removed. Is there still 3D or is it gone entirely?

D

Drewster

It's here! We're very proud to officially announce GameMaker Studio 2, the next evolution of our flagship game development tool. Studio 2 is not just a new version of GameMaker: Studio, it has been rewritten from the ground up to improve and expand upon the foundation laid by its predecessor. A whole new codebase, a whole new UI, a whole new GameMaker!

See the full release article here: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/397

WOOOOOT!

11clock

I own GMS Master Collection, but I would like to downgrade to Pro version for GMS2. Would I be able to get the pro discount?

D

Drewster

I've bought the engine, the steering wheel, the wheels, the interior, the fuel pump, the whole car, back when they started with the new model for about 799.99.

Now they've taken the exact same car, but built a new interior with some new functions. The engine, wheels, fuel pump - everything is still the same.
They will be releasing updates for that same old engine, wheels, fuel pumps, - BUT ONLY if the car has that new interior.

Why do I have to buy the complete new car when all that has changed is the interior?

Answer is simple: the humble bundle. There's people who paid 10$ for the same stuff and support as i've paid $799 for. Now I'm going to get treated the same as the people who paid 10$? I've been here since GM 4.0.

I love the product, I really do, but if this happens, it kind of makes me feel like being scammed.

I KNOW this is just speculation, and I hope YoYoGames will provide a suitable solution for people that are in this same situation.

If I were YoYoGames, I would've gone with a subscription based model. Discounts for previous owners. I would be happy to pay 150$ a year to use GM:S and the updates. It would also generate a nice income stream for YYG, whereas they now don't really have one.
But you're actually buying a new car, not making a few updates to the old one. And you're getting a little credit for your trade-in, the value of which will only decline the longer you wait.

E

_eka_

This is standard practice and ALL the other engines out there do it. I suggest you look at their FAQ's and see... (for example, Unity: https://unity3d.com/legal/privacy-policy)
Not completely true, in Unity Pro you can disable that:

Disable HW Statistics By default, Unity Android apps send anonymous HW statistics to Unity so we can provide you with aggregated information to help you make decisions as a developer. These stats can be found at (http://stats.unity3d.com/)[http://stats.unity3d.com/]. Checking this option disables the sending of these statistics for your app.

Llama_Code

And
But you're actually buying a new car, not making a few updates to the old one. And you're getting a little credit for your trade-in, the value of which will only decline the longer you wait.
GMS 2 is an entirely new program, not just a few updates. Plus guy get trade in credit without actually trading it in with a 40-50% discount.

How many car companies would give give you half off a new car and tell you to keep the old one to.

D

Drewster

Are we going to get an official end-of-support date for 1.4 anytime soon?

On the topic of buying the software again: I'd understand you guys asking us to pay for the GM:S itself again, like the full price for the Pro edition. But why pay for the modules we own once again? That's what makes the least sense here if you ask me. Also, merging Android and iOS into one module was unnecessary. At least give us an option to purchase only one of those or both at the discounted price.
I think posting an end-of-support/end-of-lfe date for 1.4 SOON is a very good idea. I'm NOT advocating ENDING support soon, just specifying some future date. A future date when the last update will be released and a date after which support will no longer be available. Again, I wouldn't want those dates to be super soon, but clarifying them will get all the griping over at once.

Something like:

- March 31, 2017 -- Final 1.4 release with any new features should coincide with the non-beta release date of 2.0.
- June 30, 2017 -- last 1.4 maintenance/bug-fix release
- September 30, 2017 -- end of (meaningful) support.

As i write this, I'm not even sure about that. There will definitely be a 3-6 month window where YY will still need to support the old and do some bug-fix maintenance release. But every bit of energy that goes into that is energy taken away from supporting 2.0. With 2.0 being a complete rewrite, there will be a LOT of support needed for the first 18 months. Lots of updates. Lots of bug fixes. Lots of user support. Lots lots lots. Ideally I'd say to support 1.4 for a year afterwords.

Or perhaps a simple "end of life" date, after which updates and support no longer happen. Typically when companies do that, they taper off as they approach that date. But having a "this is definitely the final release of 1.4" date/notice would be helpful.

I don't know. Solutions seem obvious when you first write them, but they are always products of 100 compromises. Hm.