• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Image Editor survey

DesArts

It would be nice if it was possible to copy a frame from a sprite with all the frame of another sprite and retain all of the layers regardless of how many layers the new sprite has.
Also copying over a frame from a sprite to a different sprite with another resolution/size without stretching the frame. It looks very bad with stretched pixels. Preferably let us paste the frame in the center or top left of the image and have the options here that GM:S did with this box https://gyazo.com/d766e33ce993d061b2d6f55cf9443a77 or something similar.
I find myself wanting to know the position of a certain body part on one sprite like if I want to draw a gun, but I can't copy the body over because it gets stretched to the new size.
This x100
I'm not toooo fussed about the layers thing, I suppose the best solution would be if you copy the frame it makes a single image in the clipboard out of all the layers, rather than just one, but if you want the layers separate then do it manually maybe? I don't know.

But we seriously need all the options in that box, especially "maximal", I've mentioned it many times.

J

JHarris

The Image Editing tools are where I most miss old Game Maker. They really really need to be improved. The old ones worked generally like all the other image editors I'd used, which was a very good thing. Now I have to learn weird ways to do those things. The UI feels really obtuse.

There's no horizontal scrollbar that I can see. Trying to pan around with the tool moves the image, not the view of it. Using the middle button to scroll works, but scrollbars would help those people who don't think to try that. Isn't GM supposed to be easy to use?

J

JHarris

How about, when you drag the rectangle selection tool, it scrolls the window when you get to the edge, so you aren't limited to selecting what's on a single screen?

J

Justin Oaksford

Hey all! I'm pretty new to Game Maker (and am a concept artist, so not a very technical person at all), but I've tried to do a lot of research. GMS2 has a lot of features that I'm loving and taking advantage of, but I noticed one glitch that I don't think I've seen reported yet.

The "add" blend mode for sprites does not seem to function properly in the game\room view, only in the image editor, and only on the sprites themselves. i.e. it doesn't seem to shade the pixels properly in application, it only properly shades other pixels below it on the same sprite.

this is a very rudimentary example, so pardon me- but in this example, I have 2 different, but completely identical sprites on an asset layer, except one is set to "add" in the blend more in the image editor, and one is set to "normal". What's curious is that the "herbshop AO layer" is set to "multiply" in the same fashion and works wonderfully and exactly as expected, but the "Add" shading seems broken in comparison. Based on the proper and expected function of the Multiply layer, I'm pretty sure ignorance isn't to blame here, but I could very well be wrong. I feel like in the previous GMS, I was able to use "Add" blend modes for a very similar situation to great effect. Anyways- I would love if someone else could play around and see if they could reproduce this issue and if there's any solution. I've looked into using gpu commands in code to draw the sprites but am not competent enough technically to implement it.

Edit: Doing a little more exploring, I also discovered that, for example, on my fake "AO" layer- it's a PNG of mostly partly-transparent pixels airbrushed on, and in GMS2's image editor it's set to multiply. if I duplicate this layer in the editor, and set it to multiply, instead of compounding the effect (Expected behavior), it has literally no effect- it's as if it's replacing, rather than drawing on top of the pixels below it.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Justin Oaksford

Thank you Desix! Admittedly a little sad to hear that it's working as designed (esp given that Multiply seems to function differently, but that's how it goes I guess.)- After a bit of tinkering I finally figured out how to draw the sprite correctly using the set_gpu blendmode functions.

Thank you again for your help. Apologies again if these are very ignorant questions, your time is appreciated.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Colourise, fade to colour, glow, outline, buttonise, gradient fill, saturation, hue, intensity, gamma, fog, set length, rotate, crop, shift, fade in, fade out, appear, dissapear, grow, shrink.
Please I need those features for some of my projects with game maker studio 2.

W

Wayfarer

Index sprites are a long term wish, but it involves dedicated shaders to extract them properly, and a change to the editing tools. This isn't on the cards "yet", but we've wanted this for some time.
Just wondering, would it be possible to add indexed colour palettes in the image editor to begin with?

I'm still using GMS 1.4 but will be buying GMS 2 soon.

Edit: I'm sure you're all very busy at YoYoGames and this is just a minor/non-essential thing. The only reason I brought it up (after it previously being mentioned and you already stating it's something you want to do) is that once it's added in I couldn't really see the purpose of using any other image editor. Like to me at least, the only advantage of using Aseprite or another pixel art application is the inclusion of indexed palettes.

Having said that, as I don't have GMS 2 yet (I probably should get the demo) I don't exactly know what I'm talking about, but I thought I'd make the post anyway.

I guess even adding the indexed palettes alone isn't trivial because I suppose it affects how sprites save etc.

Last edited:
D

DeathandGrim

"add from strip" was a feature I used a lot. Now all it does is completely wipe the sprite unless I'm doing something wrong

slojanko

I would really like to see bugs getting fixed before new features are implemented. I can't work on my project without GMS2 deciding to just tank my cpu and overheat my laptop.

D

Deleted member 13992

Is graphics tablet support planned?

Mainly to be able to switch between eraser/pen (faster than E/D, and your fingers might be used elsewhere anyway), and for the pressure sensitivity->alpha. Plus some of us are simply just more comfortable on a graphics tablet.

SCR

I like how the magic wand tool allows you to select a point and then you can adjust the tolerance afterwards and see how the selection changes in real time. This is helpful. I like the 'paint selection tool' as well. It's great that you can now also modify an existing selection (add to an existing selection or subtract from an existing selection) Thanks!

'Save Image as PNG' was useful. Currently, I don't see a way to save all the layers into a single PNG file. Or a way to easily copy all of the layers into a single image in the clipboard. (If multiple layers are selected, then all of the selected layers should be sampled as a selection is copied to the clipboard.) As it is now, you can duplicate each of the layers, then merge the new layers, then select the new layer, create a selection box and then Control-C, then erase the new layer.

The Pan tool needs to have a wrap horizontal and vertical option, -OR- add in the 'Shift' function similar to the one that's in 1.4.

Resize Canvas, Stretch, and Trim are also important. Please add them back in.

A

a52

I would love to be able to import single frames at a time, rotate single frames at a time (I really don't understand why something so simple isn't an option, especially when mirroring single frames is), rotate, resize and flip using the selection tool, and rebind hotkeys. I would much rather you added these basic changes before any fancy effects, because at the moment I'm doing everything in an external editor and having to re-import entire sprites when all I wanted to do was make a minor change to one frame.

D

Deeje

Paste from file can't be coming soon enough. That should be default. Paste as brush is a great feature, but to replace a decades old operating system feature such as copy/paste with it is very strange.

D

Deleted member 13992

Paste from file can't be coming soon enough. That should be default. Paste as brush is a great feature, but to replace a decades old operating system feature such as copy/paste with it is very strange.
Definitely agree with this.

saga55555

Colourise, fade to colour, glow, outline, buttonise, gradient fill, saturation, hue, intensity, gamma, fog, set length, rotate, crop, shift, fade in, fade out, appear, dissapear, grow, shrink.
Please I need those features for some of my projects with game maker studio 2.
100% agree. I don't understand why GMS2 remove these useful tools.

In GMS2 when I scale down image, some images look bad. Seem like color between pixels in 1.4 is better than GMS2.
And please add back precise collision mask with size editable. I use it a lot in 1.4. For now, I have to make another sprite for a hit box.

I'd love to see the color changing features in the most. I use Photoshop for my final art, but in terms of fast prototyping it's really nice to be able to just scribble a temporary red sprite and then quickly duplicate and colorize/intensity it to green or blue etc to represent something else. Like making a quick stickman for the player and shifting it to different colors to represent different types of enemies, or a powerup icon etc, without having to open up Photoshop, open it up, shift it there, save it out, import it in GMS2 etc

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Colour swapping has been in for months now.

And we didn't remove tools. The IDE is a complete rewrite, so we simply haven't written them again - yet.

I've got a big animation I'm looking to trim a few frames out. It would be nice if you could disable individual frames, removing them from the preview loop. This way I can see how the animation would look before deciding to delete the frame.

Separate note - Why does pasting from Photoshop remove transparency? It's creating a new brush ignoring the copy alpha, is that a setting I can change?

gnysek

Separate note - Why does pasting from Photoshop remove transparency? It's creating a new brush ignoring the copy alpha, is that a setting I can change?
For me pasting from photoshop doesn't work at all - I need to save as PNG or copy to paint first, and then copy again.

For me pasting from photoshop doesn't work at all - I need to save as PNG or copy to paint first, and then copy again.
With v1 I worked exclusively in PS and would just imported any art but with GMS:2 having new toys like onion skin to play with I thought I'd give the new image editor a try, It's still a bit buggy lol.

L

LordDarkenon

Export a sprite from the editor in a format that Spine can import (e.g. export to a folder with each sprite layer as a separate .png file, and create a corresponding JSON file in a format that Spine can use to import the sprite). That way I can stop using another sprite editor (such as GIMP) that can export to Spine, and keep my core sprite asset creation within GMS2.

A

ajan-ko

Here's my opinion on GM2 image editor:
From important to less important.

1. (Important) Please, give at least the export image to png feature to GM2.

2. Changing color & Intensity. Stretching, enlarge canvas, shift, rotation, trim. This one pretty basic.
3. Import image strip
4. Transparency import from png file, some png can't pass the transparency setting. GM1 does not have any problem importing transparency.

5. All animation stuff from GM1. Especially Length, reverse, add reverse, stretch, fade, fade to color, grow, all those good stuff.

Last edited:

poliver

Are custom 'Palettes' anywhere on the roadmap?

Lack of palettes is the only thing that stops me from using GMS exclusively. Always have to switch between GM and aseprite/gimp. There's ways to work around that but that's a pain in the bum tbh. :(
I don't quite get the Import the colors and copy colors from sprite options. Do they even do anything?

R

Rukiri

I love the editor, granted I'd NEVER use it outside of edits mainly as I like to have my stuff in sprite sheets but the editor is shaping up nicely and doing edits for simple stuff is awesome with it.
Also what @Roman P. said about pallets.

I use Photoshop "whenever I decide to use/pay for the month" and pyxel edit for my sprite needs.
If the editor actually was a seperate thing I could/would use it but many things need to be added for that.

J

Juxtor

Is there currently a way to use soft-edged brushes (and erasers?) So you can paint or erase with an alpha blended soft edge rather than a hard edge as appears to be the case now? If not, I'd like to see the addition of round brushes with soft edges. Not sure which survey item applies to this, however.

J

JHarris

I find the image editor to be an unintuitive mess. What's wrong with freaking scroll bars, I ask you? They're clean, universal, understandable image controls that have been used for decades.

kupo15

Is this when you paste it doesn't paste but rather turns your mouse into a stamp with the pasted image? If so I agree and am not a fan.

I'm don't really enjoy the new image editor and feel its way too clumsy. I enjoyed the simpler feel of 1.4 and have to still use 1.4's editor since its much easier to work with.

I think the origin presets as a dropdown is not a great idea. I miss being able to click a button and center the origin, now I have to process all these options and figure out which is the true "center." I'm not against the other presets but I think having a tic-tac-toe type button presentation with clickable presets would be much better than a dropdown.

Just some rough thoughts

L

Ludorverr

An option for turning Brush Pasting on or off please mike.

I believe mike is anti external image software. It's a conspiracy.

J

JHarris

It'd be nice if there was an obvious way to CANCEL a paste operation, if the cut/copy/paste options were under the edit menu like they've been since the days of classic Mac OS and Windows 3, if the image editor had scrollbars for ease of getting around large images and showing view position within them.

All these issues came up in the image editor with a project I was working on right now. I have never hated GameMaker more than I have right at this second, including when an undocumented change in the way numbers were written to text files resulted in all the scores in my game's score list being mysteriously rounded off to the nearest ten.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It'd be nice if there was an obvious way to CANCEL a paste operation
Press "." as this gives you a single pixel brush again - or click one of the brushes in the top right....

I'd love to spend more time adding more features to the image editor, but "for the moment", we've other priorities. We will get back to it at some point though, and I have no issues with adding different "options" for it's usage and display.

T

Thunder Lion

I honest just think having all the old tools is the best bet, obviously i assume your asking for "what should we bring back asap" but in general i think the upgraded or newer versions should never lose "functionalities" by that I mean I know you can't do things code for code (source not gml) because of software and hardware changes and the like, but to have a something that does what it use to do, also I feel some aspects of the editor are complex compared to older processes like text adding, I really feel this should be movable even while still editing, also it should create a new layer (by default) that can then be edited anytime with the text tool (basucally a text only layer like in photoshop)

T

Thunder Lion

Press "." as this gives you a single pixel brush again - or click one of the brushes in the top right....

I'd love to spend more time adding more features to the image editor, but "for the moment", we've other priorities. We will get back to it at some point though, and I have no issues with adding different "options" for it's usage and display.
I still use studio 1 for my image editing, they need to add a function that creates your game for you! Call it create_game(2d,hd,awesome)

Genetix

I've been working on fully going to GMS2 but find the image editor is the biggest hold up.

I really want the paste/import options back that allowed you to have a new frame stretch to fit the existing frames or have the existing frames stretch to the new image, or choose the maximal size....

When pasting an image into a sprite it seems to automatically stretch all of the existing frames to the new size... which ruins the art sprites.

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly but... this is a big problem for GMS2.

Does anyone know of an existing road map for the image editor updates? I'd love to see a lot of the old features added back still such as Glow, gradient fill, etc...

M

Menik

I think this is a good place to leave my grievances with GMS2...

I was impressed by the design... Now the bad things.

I've never experienced a program that was so counter-intuitive on purpose. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to paste a 32x32 image into a 32x32 space without it appearing in the brushes for me to "stamp". If anyone knows how to just paste it in that fitted space please let me know. The next thing I tried to do(after giving up on pasting one by one) is import a strip. You'd think the import button would do that, I had no idea the menus changed to add in the "image" menu for the longest time. Then when I hold ctrl and move my mouse it zooms in? Who thought of that? Why is that a thing?

I don't need a super complex beefed up image editor for what I do, I'm desperately feeling the need to use an external image editor but I don't think that's possible in this one.

The UI is clunky and although it's cool that your text editor shoves your object window out of the way, it's not at all convenient. Everything is separated but still attached, I'm zooming out when I shouldn't be, and even so it looks terrible zoomed out. Maybe I sound like an old man stuck in his ways, but there are so many great features in this IDE that I fear I'll never grow to love just because of the backward or uncomfortable method.

Embracing GMS2 has been a real challenge for me, and at often times it's overly complicated... Feels good to get that off my chest.

Thanks,
Menik

Miradur

The thread here is like a Christmas wishlist, hopefully someone will read it,
but if there are no presents come in, you know that nobody has read it.

Congratulations on the anniversary ;)

Miradur

hogwater

The image editor is pretty rough. Although I work in photoshop, I do miss being able to quickly change the hue of images in GM. I wouldn't use that for final art, but for placeholder stuff it was handy. The stamp creating stuff is obnoxious as well.

If you find yourself zooming in and out a lot while working, try changing your settings so that code windows open "full screen" in the IDE. Before I did that GMS2 was driving me crazy, but since making that change I can work really quickly.

Also holding CTRL and tapping TAB to navigate between resources (and close them as well) has sped things up nicely.

D

DeathandGrim

I'd still like "fade to color" and the old hue change options back.

W

Wayfarer

It'd be nice if there was an obvious way to CANCEL a paste operation, if the cut/copy/paste options were under the edit menu like they've been since the days of classic Mac OS and Windows 3, if the image editor had scrollbars for ease of getting around large images and showing view position within them.
Ah, this was what I was looking for.
It'd still be nice if you could press ESC and it went back to your previous brush, though this still works.

The more I use the image editor the more I get used of it.

Edit: I realise what made me say this. When you paste something you're losing your selected brush color as it resets to white. Though because of how pasting works it has to reset to white otherwise the pasting would be tinted. I know I'm stating the obvious, but that was what led me to mention pressing ESC to return to your previous brush.

Last edited:

DeScruff

Ok Im gonna have a hard time wording this... One thing I might recommend is to not have the delete key shift focus?
How it works right now is if you highlight an area in Layer 1, click Layer 2, then press delete, rather then just delete whatever is in the highlighted area in Layer 2, it deletes the whole layer.
If you just want it to delete the highlighted area, you have to reclick the highlighted area, to 'shift focus' back to it.

Personally I think that feels a bit weird, specially if you are constantly moving around layers. It makes layers too easy to accidentally delete.
One thing that could remedy this is to make Delete, always interact with the canvas, and make the Shift + Delete, delete layers.

M

Menik

Maybe the people here are wiser than I (most likely). Trying to come to terms with the image editor, I need to be able to make a sprite transparent. I thought I might be able to use the eraser for that and make it delete only a certain opacity. Is there a way I can accomplish this? Did I miss something with the eraser?

It's tragic too, because the actual image editor that I use alongside GMS2 is made for sprites(even deals with strips and animation), and if I could link it to GMS2, it would solve all my image-editor problems. Here's hoping we see growth.

H

Hurg

Not really fussed about the features as I tend to work in other programs for image editing unless it's something small, but what gets me is the seemingly random use of shortcut keys in the GM editor. 'D' is brush? Every other program uses 'B'. And 'O' for colour picker... really?

Hyomoto

Maybe GIMP and Photoshop share a lot in common, but I've experienced all sorts of bizarre shortcuts. Every program thinks it has the best solution. In GM2 it's D for draw. B for brush. F for fill. V for color replace, well, there are only so many keys I suppose.