• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Image Editor survey

F

Feronar

The main feature I want is the "blend/replace colour" switch.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
replace colour is already there, look on the toolbox. You can event do it via a selection, and over multiple frames.

R

radnom

replace colour is already there, look on the toolbox. You can event do it via a selection, and over multiple frames.
No, not replace colour. Blend/Replace toggle. It was on older Game Maker sprite editors, and it was incredibly, incredibly important. The current setting appears to be stuck on 'blend' which is not ideal.

It means if I set the right click colour to transparency, I cannot use right click with the pencil tool to erase colours, because it's adding (or 'blending') the fully transparent colour so it does nothing. With replace, I could essentially use right click as an eraser tool. The image editor is a huge step back without this simple feature. I can't find the toggle anywhere in GMS:2.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Eh? The current tool does direct RGB replacement with tolerance. Can also either preserve alpha or force it using (either alt, ctrl or shift....one of them)

P

Peter Verbeek

Of GM 1.4 (and previous ones) I've used of the Images menu the Intensity, Colorize and Fade the most. And of the Animation menu Add reverse, Disappear and Shrink the most (where Add reverse is very handy).

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
(snip) ...we can try and bring back the ones people want the most.
@Mike: Just curious... will the survey results be used to determine which features are added first? (i.e., will they all be added back... eventually?)

I ask, because I think every GM 1.4 image editor feature had some value -- even ones I seldom used. I never felt any of them were worthless. The Studio image editor is actually very good.

That said, I can understand why you guys are focusing on Studio performance enhancements first.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Yes, mainly about order - but not all will go in. Only if they have a reasonable number of people wanting them. We're not going to spend time writing and testing something 3 people "may" use.

Also... layers change the behaviour of a lot of these things so they won't be quite the same.

Cpaz

I think only a few of the features in the "images" tab were actually used. Features such as "erase color" "sharpen/fade" "outline" and "cycle"?
Yeah, I can see uses for them. I even use some of them today frequently.

But "buttonize?" "glow??" and ... wait, "gradient fill"??? what even is that?

*Tests gradient fill*

Huh. Yeah. A pointless addition really...
So I guess. Chose wisely is what I'm saying? I think???

H

hathor

With frames it would be really nice if when I CTRL-click to select multiple frames then the drag and drop reorder would drag all selected frames instead of only the first one. Also would be great if I could right click and have a context menu option to duplicate a frame. And a keyboard shortcut to turn on and off grid snap.

R

Retrifix

@Mike

Not specifically regarding the sprite editor, but when importing a sprite I often want to center the origin.
In GM:S this was quickly done with the push of a well visible button

But now I have to scroll through a drop down menu every time I want to do this. Can't you please add another button next to the drop down menu that centers the origin?
Also it would be nice if the collision mask was always visible but without obscuring the origin. I don't even understand why the origin disappears at all.

And on a site-note:
I selected that I don't want new resources to be opened after dragging them in, because I hate that it changes the active window and moves the view around and positions that new window somewhere and leaves the other windows behind you know the whole workspaces thing kinda bugs me but thats not what I wanted to say. What I wanted to say was that even when having this option active (that the resource does not get opened) you should still get some sort of feedback that it was added to the tree.
In GM:S the resource tree opened where I added the resource (If I have the sprites folder closed it would open and there would be my new sprite), please add this to GM:S 2. So that If I want to I can immediatly drag the new sprite over onto the workspace.

Thanks and I hope it's okay that I wrote this feedback here and not in a new thread.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
@Mike

Not specifically regarding the sprite editor, but when importing a sprite I often want to center the origin.
In GM:S this was quickly done with the push of a well visible button

But now I have to scroll through a drop down menu every time I want to do this. Can't you please add another button next to the drop down menu that centers the origin?
I posted this exact feedback during closed beta...unfortunately, it hasn't been changed since then. You can set it to default to Middle Center in Preferences, but I don't think this is something that people should have to dig through settings to address.

There are a few unnecessarily-super-tedious™ things like this in GMS2 which I really hope YYG address.

R

Retrifix

There are a few unnecessarily-super-tedious™ things like this in GMS2 which I really hope YYG address.
I know right! I'm also trying to show YYG all these things since beta but they take soo long to change even small things, if they're doing it at all. But they still act like they do major improvements with every "update" and continued to release GM:S 2 already although it still needs a lot of polishing.
I imagined the update from beta to release would be really big and bring all kinds of improvements, but nope, it was so small that I didn't even notice there was an update at all.

The only thing that they actually fixed so far which I had complained about was moving in the workspace with MMB even when hovering over nodes. But this was also not done 100% since when I accidently hover a code editor node and press MMB to move around GM:S 2 thinks I clicked MMB on something in the Code Window and it will open the documentation about that or open a script that was called in this code window.
Although I wasn't even hovering over said script and kept moving the MMB

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
I'm also trying to show YYG all these things since beta but they take soo long to change even small things, if they're doing it at all.
I'm sure YYG are doing a million things behind the scenes right now (especially considering the launch). There are plenty of tweaks, fixes, and updates ahead - don't worry.

M

Monkeysaurus

Of GM 1.4 (and previous ones) I've used of the Images menu the Intensity, Colorize and Fade the most. And of the Animation menu Add reverse, Disappear and Shrink the most (where Add reverse is very handy).
I agree, I really want gradient fill back. Also, agree about the Animation menue, Add Reverse was very handy to me too.

S

Steve7117

I'm really happy this thread exists - I just purchased the Desktop license of GM2 and the IDE is an amazing upgrade from 1.4, but I was very surprised to find the image editor lacking by comparison. Version 1.4's image editor had so many great features, especially the colorize, buttonize, and transform functions.

Anyway, looking forward to when some of these features are rolled out for GM2's IE.

F

flashice2030

First , I should adjust pivot for image evertime ,set " Middle Center" option for default setting. or show a button to fast center it?
Second, about mirror tool ,I don't think (Mirror current Frame, mirror brush )these are very useful , the true mirror tool is that when you draw a line on the left ,it 'll both display on other side as the same time.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
No, that's symmetry not mirror. Mirror and Flip are common tools for image processing.

R

Richard Hayes

I really do hope that most of these features make it back in. I understand a new program not wanting to advertise what you are NOT getting, but I feel a little bit cheated upgrading to version 2 of a product I've been using longer than this company has owned it, only to find that the majority of the features I used regularly in the sprite editor are missing. It's a bit suspect to release a product claiming such improvements over the last version but not giving the previous users a heads up about the familiar features they will have to do without. This list worries me because I can only imagine how long some of the lower-numbered ones will take to show up, if they even do.

I have been using GameMaker and every single version of it since it was on GameMaker 4 (under Mark Overmars), so I love it tremendously and these comments come from that love as well. I am unlikely to stop using the product because of these deficiencies, but with these and other issues cropping up in Studio 2, I have a feeling this was pushed out before it was a completed product. I'm excited to play with some of the new features eventually, but I think 1.4 is the way to go for now.

S

Shadowblitz16

@Mike I think it would be great to include a animation editor and functions for creating animations directly from bigger sprites
this would allow multiple animations per sprite and could make external sprite importing much easier.

however this wasn't a function of GMS 1.4 so I'm not sure it belongs in this topic.

DesArts

Personally I miss being able to select between
- Keep original size
- Use new size
- Use maximal size

Currently we only have a choice of making the canvas the pasted size or stretching the pasted image. What if we don't want to make the canvas bigger? The old options along with the new position arrows would work wonderfully.

And pasted images appearing as brushes only is ... very annyoing for this editor. It should appear as a selection, or give us the option at least.
Otherwise, we are needing to first click on the canvas to 'draw' the section I just pasted, then change it, after every paste. And the line of pasted images in the brushes is just annoying.

It's just extremely backwards when it should be so simple.

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
To keep the original size, just select cancel.
I don't know what use "maximum" size is...?

We will be adding an option to paste the selection in as a new layer

DesArts

To keep the original size, just select cancel.
I don't know what use "maximum" size is...?

We will be adding an option to paste the selection in as a new layer
Okay thank you for letting me know, that isn't completely clear - it seems like that dialogue box is mandatory ('cancel' feels like 'cancel paste'). I feel like that box would be clearer with all options, including keep original size, were selectable on there as named options.

Maximal is in GMS1 and is extremely useful for pasting letters of fonts for example, it changes the canvas to a width of whatever is bigger, the paste or the current image. Same with height (width and height are tested and changed separately of course).

Last edited:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The new upcoming "colour erase" will let you do this more easily. You'll select all the frames then pick the colour, and it'll do it on every frame.

Of course... if you use the wand and erase the colour BEFORE splitting into frames, it'll be easier as well :)

J

JamesC01

Hi folks

So there's been quite a few requests as to bringing back some of image processing tools of the GMS1.x editor, and to help us gauge which ones we should do we've done a little survey. If you can all take this and create an order or preference we can try and bring back the ones people want the most.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/S8C6WQT
I really want you guys to add the ability to offset the sprite to make it easier to make seamless tiles!

Tsa05

Hey Mike,
One thing I didn't see on the survey, thought *must* be in there*, and cannot find is "Add From File"

I found that I can import multiple subimages at once, but if I want to add another frame later, it seems that I've got to re-import everything from scratch or import my "next" frame as a new sprite, edit it, copy it, paste into a blank new frame in my other sprite, then delete the new one.

Also missing (I think) from GMS2 and from the survey, is the ability to choose what to do with mis-matched *smaller* sizes.

It's a little thing, but a major workflow hitch, since it's trivial to export a layer's contents from Photoshop but non-trivial to crop every layer to custom sizes. Illustration for example:

I've got a button with 2 sub-images:

The image with the shadow is a little bit bigger than the image without.

In GMS1.4, I could choose to keep the sizes and align to the bottom corner when I import.
In GMS2, I cannot import both images into the same sprite at all--it always scales the second image up, without asking me whether I want to.

At a minimum, I'd love to get a prompt about it, since I'd imagine that the more prevalent use case is "please leave my carefully designed graphics just as I made them" rather than "please change the appearance of my graphics upon import."

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
In the image editor, on the "Image" menu, there is an import image(s) item. These give you the option to resize of scale for these images.

Tsa05

Thanks Mike! I was looking for it one level higher, in the Sprite editor; will adjust, glad to see it's in there.

S

Shadowblitz16

@Mike maybe a indexed sprite option? where you can specify a palette for each image in the editor and in code and the image can't have any colors outside of it?
it might reduce memory, and it would be cool to mess with.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Index sprites are a long term wish, but it involves dedicated shaders to extract them properly, and a change to the editing tools. This isn't on the cards "yet", but we've wanted this for some time.

S

Snowy

Will we ever see independent layers for image frames? It's hard to create changing layered pictures otherwise.

The new upcoming "colour erase" will let you do this more easily. You'll select all the frames then pick the colour, and it'll do it on every frame.

Of course... if you use the wand and erase the colour BEFORE splitting into frames, it'll be easier as well :)
I import all my sprites as gifs, though...hope color erase comes back soon, hahah!

S

Salvakiya

Lol not all of the features missing in GMS2 are even listed there. GMS2's Image editor is pretty bad. I can hardly use it. +1 point to YYG for making me move to Gimp.

L

Ludorverr

Please allow copy and paste from other image editing programs to paste new frames into the frame section. I hope this is simple to implement.

'Pasting as brush' is too finicky and requires precise clicking in placing every single frame. There is no way we can use this for copy pasting, it is far too tedious. (another inconvenience: whenever you switch frames you have to click somewhere else in the image editor to continue pasting new brushes)

Please do not force us to use import. Personally I keep my sprites on one large canvas I copy paste from graphics gale. Apparently I'm not allowed to do this anymore? Unless I want this super inconvenient brush pasting thing to get in the way. Editing images side by side on a single canvas has many advantages to editing images one by one. Other use-cases would be if some wanted to adjust a sprite in photoshop they can no longer quickly copy paste it back. Any kind of small tweak you make will now require an import.

File management, opening files, saving files, importing files, closing files, all of this can be done away with if you simply bring back the old GM1.4 copy paste. Do not sabotage alternative image editing programs like this. Keep things standard and convenient please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yal
S

StepCore

It would be nice if it was possible to copy a frame from a sprite with all the frame of another sprite and retain all of the layers regardless of how many layers the new sprite has.
Also copying over a frame from a sprite to a different sprite with another resolution/size without stretching the frame. It looks very bad with stretched pixels. Preferably let us paste the frame in the center or top left of the image and have the options here that GM:S did with this box https://gyazo.com/d766e33ce993d061b2d6f55cf9443a77 or something similar.
I find myself wanting to know the position of a certain body part on one sprite like if I want to draw a gun, but I can't copy the body over because it gets stretched to the new size.