• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GameMaker Studio 2: Effects and Animation

M

Mark Lubetzki

Hello,
in GM1, the sprite editor has some cool function, such as animation effects like fade to color, or rotate the sprite in x frames and so on. Does this come in GM2 too, or do i need some extra software for this ? If not, can you please tell me some good animation and sprite making software, with some easy functions ? I only make Pixelart games in resolution of 16x16 - 64x64.

Thank you for help me with my question and excuse me for my bad english.

Mark Lubetzki aka Exthase

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Currently those effects are not available in GMS2 (but they will be getting added over time). As for apps, I use(d) Pyxel Edit for a while and it was lovely! But there's also Spriter and if you have access to Photoshop it can be good when set up right (I adore photoshop, and have been using it for years to make pixel art, but it's by far the most complex option to use).

M

Mark Lubetzki

Wow the great Nocturne personally answer my question. I'am impressed.
Pyxel Edit is my favorite program so far and i created some sprites with it. But the functions like animation setup with 3 clicks are awesome and a time saver.
I owned Spriter Pro already and it is great so far.

When do you think, the Team works on this features for GM2:Sprite Editor ? I ask for a roadmap like list with a eventually time exception. I know this not very nice to ask and very unclear to explain when a feature becomes part of an IDE.
Thank you for your time.

With big respect for your work,

edit: delete smylies and grammacorrection.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
When do you think, the Team works on this features for GM2:Sprite Editor ? I ask for a roadmap like list with a eventually time exception. I know this not very nice to ask and very unclear to explain when a feature becomes part of an IDE.
I wish I could say... Sadly, I can't give any concrete answer though. It has been requested quite a few times now, so I'd imagine that it'll be sooner rather than later... :)

A

Ampersand

Hello,
in GM1, the sprite editor has some cool function, such as animation effects like fade to color, or rotate the sprite in x frames and so on. Does this come in GM2 too, or do i need some extra software for this ? If not, can you please tell me some good animation and sprite making software, with some easy functions ? I only make Pixelart games in resolution of 16x16 - 64x64.

Thank you for help me with my question and excuse me for my bad english.

The things you're asking to do can be done with shaders and code. Less memory, smaller game file, and less of a headache. I actually understand why most of these things have not carried on all the way to today with Game Maker.

M

Mark Lubetzki

The things you're asking to do can be done with shaders and code. Less memory, smaller game file, and less of a headache. I actually understand why most of these things have not carried on all the way to today with Game Maker.
I thinks i want is for the shader a bit too comlpex :D But thank you.

A

Ampersand

True but well worth learning! Because if you find yourself having multiple copies of the same graphics just for palette/color swaps, you'll have to be very careful about managing texture pages and flushing texture memory. Honestly, I can run a platform engine with dozens of complex characters and a good handful of ragdolls made up of a dozen bodies and a dozen constraints each and I have no performance issues... But when I got lazy and started having to do texture swaps often, everything fell apart speed wise.