• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop Does Not Open

I've get GMS2 Deskop on Steam and after install de program i launch it and nothing happens, i've alredy reinstall 2 times and nothing, updated my drive graphics and nothing, download de program in the YoYo Site with my steam account vinculed and nothing, anyone passed trough this trouble and solve it ? please, help me dude.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Did the Trial version work correctly? (Did you even try the trial before buying?)

Please also post your PC's specs.

Did the Trial version work correctly? (Did you even try the trial before buying?)

Please also post your PC's specs.

No, i dont test the trial version, i buy the program with more 2 friends and works great for them, except for me.

My processor is a Intel Celeron N4000
4gb Ram
Intel UHD Graphics 600

i think there's no problem with the specs but... i dont know...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Always try before you buy... ;)

I wouldn't expect much of anything to run on this hardware... you're not meeting the recommended specs, that much is for sure. Unsure if you're meeting the minimum specs, you'd have to compare this for yourself to find out since the information you provided was far from complete.

For example, do you have a 64 bit operating system installed, and if so, which one? Does your graphics card support DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The CPU and that Integrated GPU are modern enough to handle GMS2, albeit slowly.

I would think that if nothing else is running on the system, 4GB of RAM should be enough to at the least get the IDE open, though I've been wrong before.

Those components are 2017 and later, so the system itself has to be relatively new. But, I don't know the rest of the components, or the OS.

I would need to know more specs to know if the issue is something specwise or if you have a different issue. If you don't know the actual hardware, could you provide the make and model of the laptop?

The CPU and that Integrated GPU are modern enough to handle GMS2, albeit slowly.

I would think that if nothing else is running on the system, 4GB of RAM should be enough to at the least get the IDE open, though I've been wrong before.

Those components are 2017 and later, so the system itself has to be relatively new. But, I don't know the rest of the components, or the OS.

I would need to know more specs to know if the issue is something specwise or if you have a different issue. If you don't know the actual hardware, could you provide the make and model of the laptop?
The model is Laptop HP Stream 14cb100

Always try before you buy... ;)

I wouldn't expect much of anything to run on this hardware... you're not meeting the recommended specs, that much is for sure. Unsure if you're meeting the minimum specs, you'd have to compare this for yourself to find out since the information you provided was far from complete.

For example, do you have a 64 bit operating system installed, and if so, which one? Does your graphics card support DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4?
Yeah, my system is a Windows 10 Home, 64bits and i have support to Directx 11 and OpenGL 4.6

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The model is Laptop HP Stream 14cb100
The specs are pretty low but IMO they should run it. However, I'm seeing that your OS Windows 10 is in 'S' mode.

Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing. For more info, see the Windows 10 in S mode page.

That may be your issue. It supposedly doesn't allow apps not from the Windows Store, and it says it is "streamlined for security and performance" so it may be a little lacking in some way.

Scratch that...You wouldn't have been able to install Steam if you were still in S Mode.

I'm guessing it simply has something to do with how low the specs are, especially the RAM.

I also noticed the Hard Drive is only 32GB from the factory specs. Do you have much space left?

Last edited:
I Have a External HD and GMS2 is installed on it, but when i installed on the laptop eMMC i've got the same problem, i'm so sad and frustrated bro... I already have this problem with games on steam a lot o times, i press Start, open a window who says "Preparing to Launch GameMaker Studio 2 Deskop" and immediately disappear and the program does'nt open, I've tried to download and install the program in the YoYo site but the same problem appear

Last edited:

Amon

It could be working but you are just not giving it enough time to. The laptop is slow. Try and open GMS2 and wait 5 minutes to see what happens.

It could be working but you are just not giving it enough time to. The laptop is slow. Try and open GMS2 and wait 5 minutes to see what happens.
Nothing Happens Man, the "Running" status disappear a few seconds after the window "Preparing to launch" and Amazingly my laptop is very fast because of eMMC installed.

Guys, i've Installed GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop Standalone right now and i notice that when a run the .exe appear a task in task manager called "Windows Problem Reporting", any idea of what can solve this ? maybe there is the problem.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Nothing Happens Man, the "Running" status disappear a few seconds after the window "Preparing to launch" and Amazingly my laptop is very fast because of eMMC installed.
eMMC storage pales in comparison to SSDs, especially modern NVMe ones, so I wouldn't use that as a reason to call it fast. If anything at all, I'd use that as a reason to call it slow. Faster than a hard drive does not mean fast in the current times.

Either way, fast storage does not necessarily lead to high performance. It'll merely reduce the loading time from disk to memory. Everything after that is up to the rest of your hardware (CPU, RAM, GPU...), and ultimately, speed is less important than compatibility in regards to whether something will or won't run (for example games that require a dedicated GPU). You could put an SSD into this and it still wouldn't run.

Guys, i've Installed GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop Standalone right now and i notice that when a run the .exe appear a task in task manager called "Windows Problem Reporting", any idea of what can solve this ? maybe there is the problem.
Windows Problem Reporting as in werfault.exe? If you get that, then an application on your system has already crashed and Windows is now phoning home to report it (and may or may not ask you whether you want to send the report).

If this is (as you said) a common issue, it seems rather likely it's your device that is the issue and there may not be much you can do about it apart from replacing it.

Another thing I'd suggest to try is to check your device's memory usage (for example via Task Manager). Programs will fail to load - or worse - if there isn't enough free memory left. If you're unsure how to read the indicated values or which one is the one you're looking for, please post a screenshot of Task Manager's Performance -> Memory view.

As a last option, you can try to file a ticket with YoYo Games' support. They'll probably ask you to attach the file %PROGRAMDATA%\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log, so include it in the ticket if possible to reduce waiting times.

eMMC storage pales in comparison to SSDs, especially modern NVMe ones, so I wouldn't use that as a reason to call it fast. If anything at all, I'd use that as a reason to call it slow. Faster than a hard drive does not mean fast in the current times.

Either way, fast storage does not necessarily lead to high performance. It'll merely reduce the loading time from disk to memory. Everything after that is up to the rest of your hardware (CPU, RAM, GPU...), and ultimately, speed is less important than compatibility in regards to whether something will or won't run (for example games that require a dedicated GPU). You could put an SSD into this and it still wouldn't run.

Windows Problem Reporting as in werfault.exe? If you get that, then an application on your system has already crashed and Windows is now phoning home to report it (and may or may not ask you whether you want to send the report).

If this is (as you said) a common issue, it seems rather likely it's your device that is the issue and there may not be much you can do about it apart from replacing it.

Another thing I'd suggest to try is to check your device's memory usage (for example via Task Manager). Programs will fail to load - or worse - if there isn't enough free memory left. If you're unsure how to read the indicated values or which one is the one you're looking for, please post a screenshot of Task Manager's Performance -> Memory view.

As a last option, you can try to file a ticket with YoYo Games' support. They'll probably ask you to attach the file %PROGRAMDATA%\GameMakerStudio2\ui.log, so include it in the ticket if possible to reduce waiting times.
The memory usage is ok and the windows reporting i saw in the task manager, i never hear about werfault.exe but i will search for. I'm thinking in format my pc with a windows more updated than mine, it's soooooo frustrant cause i have the requirements that are on Steam...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Define "ok". Better yet, post the screenshot.

Updating Windows does not require formatting.

Since you are so insistent on meeting the system requirements, let's break it down: I'd expect Windows itself to use around 2 GB of your 4 GB of RAM. This would leave 2 GB for GMS2 and every other program that runs on your laptop, which may already break the system requirements. Please post that screenshot - better safe than sorry.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I know as well that GMS2 creates "hidden" temporary partitions of some sort as well as part of testing projects. What I don't know is if those partitions normally get created on the OS drive, or the drive that the install is actually on. If it is on the OS drive, and there is very little space there(its only 32GB), then that may still be an issue. But I've never messed with figuring out where those hidden partitions actually come from so I don't know.

Besides that, I'm with Tsuka in wanting to see what is getting used on your system. I'd want to see the HD space still as well. I know GMS2's IDE doesn't use too much RAM, but its a fair bit. I have a small project open and its using 171.8MB on my system. Note that when you run out of RAM, the system would normally try to use a page file on your hard drive, which slows things down badly, but generally works. But with that 32GB hard drive you are working with, if this is what's happening you are in serious trouble.

That said, don't take it the wrong way, but you are trying to do game development on something that is similar to a modern day netbook(remember those?). Even if you did get the IDE running somehow, you are going to be working with performance issues constantly, and will have lots of trouble doing actual development and running games. In general, development systems have higher requirements than the games you are developing due to the overhead. It isn't as bad as for example making a game in UE4, but the overhead is still there.

I know as well that GMS2 creates "hidden" temporary partitions of some sort as well as part of testing projects. What I don't know is if those partitions normally get created on the OS drive, or the drive that the install is actually on. If it is on the OS drive, and there is very little space there(its only 32GB), then that may still be an issue. But I've never messed with figuring out where those hidden partitions actually come from so I don't know.

Besides that, I'm with Tsuka in wanting to see what is getting used on your system. I'd want to see the HD space still as well. I know GMS2's IDE doesn't use too much RAM, but its a fair bit. I have a small project open and its using 171.8MB on my system. Note that when you run out of RAM, the system would normally try to use a page file on your hard drive, which slows things down badly, but generally works. But with that 32GB hard drive you are working with, if this is what's happening you are in serious trouble.

That said, don't take it the wrong way, but you are trying to do game development on something that is similar to a modern day netbook(remember those?). Even if you did get the IDE running somehow, you are going to be working with performance issues constantly, and will have lots of trouble doing actual development and running games. In general, development systems have higher requirements than the games you are developing due to the overhead. It isn't as bad as for example making a game in UE4, but the overhead is still there.
Yeah man, its complicated, i'm from Brazil and i'm out o money, the GMS2 works perfectly in my father's notebook, in the worst case i use it. I'm planning to do a TCC (here in Brazil is a homework that you will apresent to your cordenators and it will give you the approvation in the course) with 3 more friends you know ? i'm 16 years Old and blablabl hahaha. But whatever, i'll try to format and update my windows and see what happens... Thanks for your time brother

Last edited:
Define "ok". Better yet, post the screenshot.

Updating Windows does not require formatting.

Since you are so insistent on meeting the system requirements, let's break it down: I'd expect Windows itself to use around 2 GB of your 4 GB of RAM. This would leave 2 GB for GMS2 and every other program that runs on your laptop, which may already break the system requirements. Please post that screenshot - better safe than sorry.
About the format is because i dont have space to update, so i have the idea to format the windows with a update that i want you know ? My RAM is perfect, usage is always bellow 2gb and i never get problem with that

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I've had people tell me that Task Manager says 50% of their RAM is in use, but in reality, their RAM was completely in use. Hence my concern. But if you absolutely insist, I won't pursue the RAM thing further.

You may have issues installing newer versions of Windows 10, as the size of a new installation plus any updates that were released afterwards could get dangerously close to 32 GB (or exceed it - last time I installed Win10 and applied all updated Windows Update was willing to provide me with, I ended up with roughly 30 GB used). Let us know how it goes if it succeeds, though.

I've had people tell me that Task Manager says 50% of their RAM is in use, but in reality, their RAM was completely in use. Hence my concern. But if you absolutely insist, I won't pursue the RAM thing further.

You may have issues installing newer versions of Windows 10, as the size of a new installation plus any updates that were released afterwards could get dangerously close to 32 GB (or exceed it - last time I installed Win10 and applied all updated Windows Update was willing to provide me with, I ended up with roughly 30 GB used). Let us know how it goes if it succeeds, though.
Yo Bro, i have good news... I Formated my pc with Windows 10 Pro 2004 Version and guess what ? GameMaker Just open!!! Thanks for the attention of you 2 guys!!! o/

If you have the same problem as i, do all the things that i mencione above. in the worst case, update your windows. don't give up, Keep Trying and you will solve the problem same as i did!!!