GameMaker Gamemaker Studio 2 Creators Edition announced for $39 per year

rIKmAN

A new Creators Edition of GMS2 has just been announced (though not on here yet, so I thought I'd make a post) which will cost $39 for a 12mth subscription and allow export to either Windows or Mac (you have to choose one or the other) and requires a GMS2 splash screen to be shown.

If subscribers then want to upgrade to the full Desktop licence they will get a 30% discount on doing so.

Hopefully this will stop people crying and moaning about how insanely expensive the $99 Desktop export is and let them get their feet wet.

Sources:

Gamasutra article
YoYo Games has launched a new low-cost version of its 2D game development engine, GameMaker Studio 2.

The new "Creator Edition" gives devs full access to the entire GameMaker toolset, letting them hone their skills without any limitations.

That means budding game makers can play around with expert features including shaders, integrate source control, texture groups, SWF support, extensions, and external resources.

The $39 package even lets creators publish games on Windows or Mac, although those keen to launch on other platforms will have to splash out on the pricer $99 Desktop license.

"The Creator edition delivers this to developers, enabling them to build sophisticated PC and Mac games, and launch them on digital marketplaces such as Steam,” said YoYo's general manager, James Cox.

"With the Creator edition, we’ve listened to community feedback and introduced a low cost 12-month license model, which gives budding developers the opportunity to progress beyond our 'first game' tutorial, and use all our game design features.

"If they get bitten by the game making bug, they can take the next step up to a high performance Desktop license, saving 30 percent on the upgrade cost."

Interested developers can grab a 12-month Creator Edition license right now over on the YoYo Games website.

Develop article
The 2D engine introduces a low cost introduction to game development to help developers hone their skills

YoYo Games has announced a new licence for its popular GameMaker Studio 2 engine. The 2D game creator will now have a 'Creator Edition', which will be available to purchase via YoYo Games' website.

The new package will offer developers the chance to hone their skills at developing titles using the platform before committing to a higher cost package for potential releases. The Creator Edition will allow developers to publish their games for both Windows and Mac OS platforms.

It features all of the tools of the all current versions and gives users full access to the Marketplace in order to get assets. Developers can use the lower cost licence to perfect the use of the engine and move to a higher cost package if they wish to release their projects on other platforms including the Desktop Edition, which allows games to be released on non-console devices, such as iOS and Android. The Creator Edition licence will run for 12 months and will cost $39. If users do want to upgrade to the Desktop version then they will also receive a 30 per cent discount off the $99 permanent price.

"Our mission at YoYo Games has been simple – build a premier games development engine and toolset for the masses where anyone can unleash their creativity to build awesome games," said YoYo Games' general manager, James Cox. "The Creator Edition delivers this to developers, enabling them to build sophisticated PC and Mac games, and launch them on digital marketplaces such as Steam.

“With the Creator edition, we’ve listened to community feedback and introduced the low cost 12-month licence model, which gives budding developers the opportunity to progress beyond our 'first game' tutorial, and use all our game design features. And, if they get bitten by the game making bug then they can take the next set up to a high perforamce Desktop license, saving 30 per cent on the upgrade cost."

GameMaker Studio 2 currently has a number of price plans for its licences, including the offer of a limited free trial. Alongside this new licence and the aforementioned Desktop licence, there is a premium licence to allow for development on console and mobile projects along with educational licences. Support was also recently added for development on Amazon Fire tablets and the Xbox Creators program, along with a native Mac OS version of the engine itself.

We recently spoke with YoYo Games about the educational legacy behind the GameMaker Studio engines, which you can read here.

Store Link

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
This is super interesting. Ex-CEO Sandy Duncan tweeted his support for GM subscriptions over 3 years ago, and finally the option for a base model subscription is available. The requirement to include the GMS2 splash screen would be a deal-breaker for me, if I was the target demographic, but most developers working in this price range probably don't mind.

Cpaz

Ok. So they have a cheap subscription based alternative for people who want to try premium features out, without removing the permanent licenses. This is actually one of the smartest decisions I've ever seen YoyoGames make

G

Yes, a good move forward for new users. If I'd had the option of a sub instead of a $400 bait and switch for the mobile export, I would've canceled pretty early, saving me time and money, saving YYG from having me as an anti-evangelist, and encouraging YYG to provide more professional support and maintenance to keep its subscribers. I hope they open this model to all the exports.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Hopefully this will stop people crying and moaning about how insanely expensive the $99 Desktop export is and let them get their feet wet.
I am not optimistic on that happening just yet.

During the 8.0 era, I've seen kids protesting about the price of GM when it was raised from $20 to $25 due to exchange rate issues. They cried bloody murder and made it sound like the housing affordability crisis in Vancouver. An ongoing upkeep at $40/yr will elicit the same crap.

In my opinion, the only legitimate thing that the demographic targeted by CE would accept is a fire sale at HB. It's not a very worthwhile market to target while GMS 2 is growing. But I'll be open to evidence of it working out if my prediction turns out to be false.

rIKmAN

The requirement to include the GMS2 splash screen would be a deal-breaker for me, if I was the target demographic, but most developers working in this price range probably don't mind.
I assume the intention of the mandatory splash screen is free advertising and to drive people who don't want it to upgrade, but I actually think it might end up doing more damage to the image of GMS in the long run.

People who are going to go for the $39 option are generally going to be beginner game devs, youngsters etc and as such the quality of the games they make will be in tune with their learning. Now the Creators Edition allows them to export games and sell them it could end up with a glut of low quality games that are really only of the quality of typical "My First Game" projects that we all made whilst learning.

Along with Steam now accepting anything onto the store as long as you pay the fee (I wonder if they'll moan to Steam about how expensive that is the same way they do about the GMS prices?) and the other places to offer desktop games for sale (itch etc) it could end up in a similar situation to Unity finds itself in - that being that it's associated with low quality, asset flipped, no effort games that have no business being "released".

This image has mainly spread because Unity forces the splash screen for the free version - which is the version most of the "devs" (and I use that term very loosely) churning out this crap are going to be using because it's free and costs them nothing, but ultimately as the first thing players see it just means it gets associated with poor quality games and user experiences. Two become one, so the Spice Girls say.

Someone posted a Jim Sterling video in another thread which talks about this and how it has badly affected the image of Unity. The difference here is that Unity are so big that they don't really care and YYG are in a much different situation (seemingly understaffed, features left out of date for years, bugs left unfixed etc) and if GMS2 is the product they want to appear more professional and change the image of the brand to be a more serious, professional tool for indie devs - well this might not help that cause once all the $39 crowd start releasing Catch the Clown clones and other poor quality games left right and centre and "Made with GMS2" is the first thing players see.

I guess time will tell.

Here's the Jim Sterling video, be warned there is some swearing:

instead of a $400 bait and switch for the mobile export
What do you mean by "bait and switch"?

I am not optimistic on that happening just yet.

During the 8.0 era, I've seen kids protesting about the price of GM when it was raised from $20 to $25 due to exchange rate issues. They cried bloody murder and made it sound like the housing affordability crisis in Vancouver. An ongoing upkeep at $40/yr will elicit the same crap.

In my opinion, the only legitimate thing that the demographic targeted by CE would accept is a fire sale at HB. It's not a very worthwhile market to target while GMS 2 is growing. But I'll be open to evidence of it working out if my prediction turns out to be false.
I'm not well off or highly paid, but I don't think $99 (~£65?) is expensive for the desktop version at all, nor the other modules when you consider what is involved and the possibility to earn that back if you are serious.

For Mobile you need a phone (preferably a few for testing phone / tablets) and if it's iOS you also need a Mac (or to pay for cloud services when compiling) as well as the $99 fee for submitting to the App Store etc so it's not like GMS is the only expense and that's what is the prohibitive factor in mobile dev.

People seem to think that you need to own every module straight away, which is the furthest from the truth it could be. 90% of a game (mechanics, gameplay, assets etc) can be developed on the desktop version, and if you game is going to half decent then it will take time - time in which you can be putting $10/$15/$20 a week away and saving for the other modules you may want later down the road and as long as you do some due diligence as to the differences between supported/unsupported features between targets then adding in the mobile specific stuff won't be too hard.

When I see people asking for GMS2 on a HB the week it came out of beta, or people saying that $99 is too expensive and when will it be discounted, I just shake my head.

Save a little a week - don't buy that coffee, those cigarettes, that take out or that junk food and save the money instead - it will add up quicker than people think. If you're a kid then xmas is coming up - ask for GMS2 desktop for xmas or a birthday - you must already have a PC capable of running GMS2 so I don't think $99 for the software is going to bankrupt the family.

If you don't do any of that and still aren't in a position to save any money then buying GMS2 should be the least of your worries, but you should be also taking a look at one of the other free engines out there that won't cost you penny - just some time investment.

I also wonder whether $39 per year will pay for the extra support requests that it will bring and the extra load that an influx of new users who expect everything for free / cheap and for it to just "work" without really wanting to put in the effort to learn and understand. I'm sure we've all seen the type of forum posts I'm talking about.

At the end of the day (I'm sure along with everyone else) I just want GMS2 to do well have sales allow YYG to grow so they aren't always "lacking time and resources" ti implement / update things like we are currently told, and the engine have a long prosperous life: be adequately supported, be regularly updated, have bugs fixed in acceptable timeframes, have features and SDKs/extension kept in line with the 3rd party tools they claim to support and ultimately be the tool used to create some high quality indie games and hits.

I do commend YYG for trying increase the userbase and be more inclusive, but as you say I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it, or the right time in it's lifecycle.

But then I'm not a marketing director or a businessman, so what do I know? :)
(Probably nothing...)

G

What do you mean by "bait and switch"?
The short version is that I thought $400 was buying a professional mobile export solution that would take care of the infrastructural stuff so I could focus on making the game. This means a smooth, up-to-date path to setting up basic exporting; up-to-date compatibility with the current and standard functions in iOS, the App Store, Google Play, Amazon, Facebook, and at least Google's analytics and advertising; documents explaining how to use GMS2 to implement those things; maintenance as necessary to maintain compatibility; professional tech support; transparency in YYG's pricing and known bugs or limitations; finished, tested updates; and a future development focus on professionals. Why's GMS2 worth $100 for Windows? Because it's easy and accessible. Why's GMS2 worth $400 for mobile? Because it's supposed to be easy and accessible even on platforms that require more support and maintenance on their end. And if it delivered--it would not be overpriced. So, it's not so much "too expensive" as "I got ripped off." If I wanted to spend dev time playing software engineer and either build or pay others for basic stuff, why would I pay $400 for the privilege?

I like the subscription idea because it ties YYG's revenue to YYG's ability to provide value, rather than to YYG's ability to persuade someone to drop a bunch of cash just to be abandoned. I mean, check out this thread, and there've been others like it, and every Android post-mortem discusses the dev's valiant struggles to implement basic mobile functions despite a lack of working plugins and docs. I don't trust YYG. I'm even skipping IAP in favor of two separate apps (free with ads and premium) because I simply don't trust YYG to keep even mildly complicated mobile functionality running long enough for me to port my game to Unity, which is task #1 after release.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

The short version is that I thought $400 was buying a professional mobile export solution that would take care of the infrastructural stuff so I could focus on making the game. This means a smooth, up-to-date path to setting up basic exporting; up-to-date compatibility with the current and standard functions in iOS, the App Store, Google Play, Amazon, Facebook, and at least Google's analytics and advertising; documents explaining how to use GMS2 to implement those things; maintenance as necessary to maintain compatibility; professional tech support; transparency in YYG's pricing and known bugs or limitations; finished, tested updates; and a future development focus on professionals. Why's GMS2 worth $100 for Windows? Because it's easy and accessible. Why's GMS2 worth $400 for mobile? Because it's supposed to be easy and accessible even on platforms that require more support and maintenance on their end. And if it delivered--it would not be overpriced. So, it's not so much "too expensive" as "I got ripped off." If I wanted to spend dev time playing software engineer and either build or pay others for basic stuff, why would I pay $400 for the privilege?

I like the subscription idea because it ties YYG's revenue to YYG's ability to provide value, rather than to YYG's ability to persuade someone to drop a bunch of cash just to be abandoned. I mean, check out this thread, and there've been others like it, and every Android post-mortem discusses the dev's valiant struggles to implement basic mobile functions despite a lack of working plugins and docs. I don't trust YYG. I'm even skipping IAP in favor of two separate apps (free with ads and premium) because I simply don't trust YYG to keep even mildly complicated mobile functionality running long enough for me to port my game to Unity, which is task #1 after release.
Can't argue with any of that mate, I agree with you - thanks for the clarification.

K

Kuro

I own desktop export so splash screens may not directly apply to me, but there's the old saying "A rising tide lifts all boats", and the opposite is also true. Tanking the engine's public image for the sake of some underhanded marketing is of great detriment to all paying customers. But as a personal aside, I consider mandatory splash screens in paid products particularly abhorrent.

It's hilarious and par for the course with Yoyo games that something which should have been an easy win (more accessable gamemaker pricing), instead becomes an own goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This is simply part of the terms and conditions of the product. The full priced version does not have this limitation.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Coincidentally I was talking pretty openly about how I felt GameMaker had a really awkward gap between the free trial and the desktop version just as this got announced. I think it's a positive step for sure!

My worry overall was that with GameMaker no longer being free and not having a palatable price-point for the not-yet-committed, young, credit-cardless and unsure-of-themselves-es of the game dev world it loses what essentially grew generations of great developers over a long period of time.

It's not the kind of impact you see immediately, but I feel like almost 100% of the engines breakout hits and great developers came from people who were otherwise inexperienced playing around with this tool because it was easy to do so at an early age, or because it was the first thing they found and the barrier to get started was low. I was very worried that with that entry point missing we would run into a drought of hit gamemaker games and developers a generation from now, I think (and hope) this new price point intervenes with that issue.

I think the 12 month duration is a bit of a rough sell and feels a bit like being over-cautious to mark the Creator version as very very distinct from the Developer/Desktop version while also hoping to convert newbies to pros later down the line. I understand why you'd do that and I understand how tough it is to bring forward new offers and maneuver around what you already have in place and what licenses are already owned by people and so on. That said it would have been nice to see some bravery in striving to make getting your foot in the door as welcoming as possible with faith this would convert into the long term gains GameMaker has always gotten from how easy and inviting it was to get a copy and start sharing games with your friends.

I think the free trial wussed out on this a little by combining resource limits AND no exe sharing, one of which would have been enough and I think the reasons for doing both doesn't entirely see the forest for the trees. Creator's 12 month license (which I don't think is intrinsically bad, just uninviting, which is the problem!) also just feels a little bit over-cautious. Which is a shame because I feel these things are harder to turn back or maneuver around or change with new versions and licenses in the future because you then always have your present and past customers to consider.

All that said I'm happy to see this exist and makes me breathe a sigh of relief over what I was starting to think of as the growing elephant in the room.

(The splashscreen has a whole host of its own issues but I think honestly most of them can be cleared up by just making the splashscreen look better!)

GMWolf

aka fel666
It should be noted that if you do purchase the subscription based Creators edition, you do get a 30% discount of the desktop version.
What this means if that if you do purchase the creators edition, but then realize you would like to keep using GM for longer that a year, you end up paying about as much as if you just went for the full version right out.
However, if you played around it for a year, but then decide Game creation isnt for you (Or just GM isn't the tool for you), then you didn't spend a full 100 dollars on something you are not using.

I think it is a smart compromise. As anyone using GM seriously will still go for the 100 dollar desktop dition, but people just playing around are still paying the sorts of price you would have payed for GM8 (but get a much better product).

Why is there a splash screen if you have to pay for it?
I was thinking the same thing.
Also, should I be worried if I bought the software on steam ($99)?
I am sadly new to using the forums here, but if I could I would tag the devs to shine some light on this.

Why would yo be worried? You have the Developer Licence, so no resource limits, no obligatory splash screens, export to Windows, Mac and Ubuntu... Nothing to worry about there?
worried about what?
What you bought is the desktop version. You have a lifetime license.

This new 30$ license is for a year only.

[edit] nijaed
What im worried about is, will I start paying $30/month now since they released this? or since I bought the full product, I should be covered?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
If everyone wants to start paying us $30 a month for Pro.... I'm sure that could be arranged :D
Not that I'm complaining...but I'm surprised that Yoyo is one company that hasn't yet switched to subscription only. It seems like so many other companies are doing this(which I think sux), so kudos to you there. On the other hand though, I DO understand that not going subscription means you don't necessarily have the constant income stream you need(which is part of why companies have gone subscription mode).

As far as the $39 for a year(plus splashscreen), I think it is a good move. It gets a small bit extra of income that may not have came in without the option, and since you are offering the discount(30%) on Pro Desktop afterwards, they aren't losing much money either as compared to what they spend if they buy Pro without the discount.

K

Kuro

Not that I'm complaining...but I'm surprised that Yoyo is one company that hasn't yet switched to subscription only. It seems like so many other companies are doing this(which I think sux), so kudos to you there.
If everyone wants to start paying us $30 a month for Pro.... I'm sure that could be arranged :D
@Mike If you do ever embrace the subscription model for pro, be sure to go with subscriptions that offer a perpetual license as a fallback (like what jetbrains offers) after a certain length of time. They're about the only type of subscription worth tolerating, imho, because it's a win-win.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We are aware our demographic is different from most other tools, so if the shift ever does happen, I'm pretty sure there would always be a larger "buy it once" price.... But we're not considering this at the moment. Most of our users prefer a pay it once model, however I've been surprised at how many have said the would like the cheaper monthly option - and that was before the new Creator's edition came out.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

you must already have a PC capable of running GMS2 so I don't think $99 for the software is going to bankrupt the family
Agreed. On the flip side of that, I don't have a PC capable of running GMS2, and $99 is too much for me to spend on it at the moment. I'm still agreed, though: I don't think the price is generally too high -- just that it (plus the specs required) is out of my ballpark. $:^ ]

As for the Creator Edition, yeah, if I had a GMS2-capable machine, I'd personally just prefer to plunk down my $100 and save that $10 at the end of the year, heheh, but I hope it brings about good for both YYG and new GMS2 customers.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
What is the Spec of your PC - if you don't mind me asking? We've run it on some pretty old hardware.........? If you're stuck at XP level then yeah, not much we can do about that I'm afraid.....

P

ParodyKnaveBob

What is the Spec of your PC - if you don't mind me asking? We've run it on some pretty old hardware.........? If you're stuck at XP level then yeah, not much we can do about that I'm afraid.....
I don't mind at all, thank you for looking into it. ~nodnod~

Windows 10 Home
AMD C-50 - 1 GHz
(64-bit OS and x64 processor)
2 GB RAM ("1.6 usable")

highlights: crashing on Flash games, slightly older OBS not running at all, newest OBS running but dropping 90%+ frames on recommended (low) settings, etc., lol

To be fair, for a good while I had stopped saying "it can't, it won't" because I wanted to at least try GMS2' free version, but that requires me to recover my YYG account and all that, and I just haven't made the time to do that. (Modern jerks force modern security, and modern security really saps the accessibility out of stuff. Last I checked, I couldn't even use your help desk comfortably because Zen fails on Edge, and I had to dust off *cough*cough* Internet Exploder.) However, today, part of my To Do List is to recover some other accounts (where I had to reset some things in order to test a Habitica bug), thus I might just throw YYG's several different accounts into the mix while I already have the train rolling...

Regards,
Bob

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
okay, that should be able to run GMS2. RAM is a little low, but should be okay to get going with. I have a core 2 dual laptop that can't do hardware rendering, and it "works". Not great, but it does work.

Certainly try the free one first as you may find it too sluggish for you. If hardware rendering works, then it should be totally fine. I also have an old Aspire Revo (which runs a dual core ATOM) and an NVidia card, and it's not bad at all on that. So it really depends on your graphics card I suspect.

Compiling will take time though.... That's down to CPU and HDD speeds.

As for a browser.... I'm a Chrome boy - or at the very least Firefox, so can't help with that :)

S

Sebastian

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help with me. I going to purchase the $39 (£29.95) Windows subscription package, just so I can learn to build a game on the software.
  • If I purchase the windows version of the software on my desktop computer. Can I then download the program again on my laptop so I can do more development on the go?

• When I've created a game I'm happy with and I wanted to convert it to a mobile version (Android/iOS) do I have to redesign the whole project for mobile and then purchase the $399 (£300) license or can I simply purchase the license and then click a button on the software to convert it automatically.

• The mobile license it is a one-off payment of $399 (£300) or are there any hidden monthly fees?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If I purchase the windows version of the software on my desktop computer. Can I then download the program again on my laptop so I can do more development on the go?
One license can be used simultaneously on 3 devices (without re-activation limit), so yes - so long as the laptop is using Windows as well (since with Creators edition you pick Windows or Mac - other modules/editions are for both).
When I've created a game I'm happy with and I wanted to convert it to a mobile version (Android/iOS) do I have to redesign the whole project for mobile and then purchase the $399 (£300) license or can I simply purchase the license and then click a button on the software to convert it automatically.
You can compile a project automatically, though you can expect there to be some work with getting the game to work with different screen sizes and general optimizations.

For example, I did get a project that wasn't designed for mobile to work on Android earlier today out of curiosity, but without tweaking anything the framerate doesn't keep up because both mobile CPUs and GPUs are slower than ones of an average desktop computer.

The mobile license it is a one-off payment of $399 (£300) or are there any hidden monthly fees?
GMS2 module is a one-time payment.
Google Play Store has a one-time signup fee ($25, IIRC).
Apple AppStore has a yearly $99 fee.

rIKmAN

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help with me. I going to purchase the $39 (£29.95) Windows subscription package, just so I can learn to build a game on the software.
  • If I purchase the windows version of the software on my desktop computer. Can I then download the program again on my laptop so I can do more development on the go?

• When I've created a game I'm happy with and I wanted to convert it to a mobile version (Android/iOS) do I have to redesign the whole project for mobile and then purchase the $399 (£300) license or can I simply purchase the license and then click a button on the software to convert it automatically.

• The mobile license it is a one-off payment of $399 (£300) or are there any hidden monthly fees?
1) The licence for the non-subscription version permits you to have GMS installed on upto 3 machines at any one time, and works on a rolling licence system. So if you install it on a 4th machine, one of the previous 3 installations is made invalid.

I would assume it's the same for the 12mth subscription versions, and there is a page in the YYG website where you can manage / revoke these licences manually.

2) once you have your SDKs setup, sometimes it's as easy as changing the export target and clicking compile and other times you will need to rewrite or tweak parts of your code.

It really depends on your game: make sure you bear in mind the limitations (RAM/GPU) of mobile devices when compared to PC, whether you want a different control scheme for mobile (swipes, gestures, virtual joysticks) or whether you want to use mobile only features such as ad networks or IAP items etc - that sort of thing.

In general most of the generic code will "just work", but it isn't a magic button.

3) Once you purchase the Mobile package there are no other hidden fees from YYG - you own it outright and there is no more payments to be made,

You will however need to pay for an iOS Dev Licence to release apps on the App Store ($99 per year) and/or a Google Play Licence to release on the Google Olay Store (around £30 one time payment last I checked).

You can test locally on your device(s) while developing using free accounts, you only need to pay these fees to release onto the actual store.

I'm not sure if there are fees involved in the Amazon Store (Fire), but Google will help you find these if it's something you wanted to consider.

S

Sebastian

One license can be used simultaneously on 3 devices (without re-activation limit), so yes - so long as the laptop is using Windows as well (since with Creators edition you pick Windows or Mac - other modules/editions are for both).
You can compile a project automatically, though you can expect there to be some work with getting the game to work with different screen sizes and general optimizations.

For example, I did get a project that wasn't designed for mobile to work on Android earlier today out of curiosity, but without tweaking anything the framerate doesn't keep up because both mobile CPUs and GPUs are slower than ones of an average desktop computer.

GMS2 module is a one-time payment.
Google Play Store has a one-time signup fee ($25, IIRC).
Apple AppStore has a yearly $99 fee.
Thank you for all the answers :D

Now I'm going to try and figure out how to create a game similar to Spoon Pet Collector. I don't think it will be too hard to create. Am I allowed to ask for help in the forums if I get stuck on something? Or is there a section where I can do a collab with someone?

P

ParodyKnaveBob

okay, that should be able to run GMS2. RAM is a little low, but should be okay to get going with. I have a core 2 dual laptop that can't do hardware rendering, and it "works". Not great, but it does work.

Certainly try the free one first as you may find it too sluggish for you. If hardware rendering works, then it should be totally fine. I also have an old Aspire Revo (which runs a dual core ATOM) and an NVidia card, and it's not bad at all on that. So it really depends on your graphics card I suspect.

Compiling will take time though.... That's down to CPU and HDD speeds.

As for a browser.... I'm a Chrome boy - or at the very least Firefox, so can't help with that :)
At about the beginning of this past GMC Jam, I tried GMS2 via the "My First Game" tutorial, and before I even got halfway through, compiling was way too painful. At the time, I believed no other programs were running, but then I figured, my malware protection might've kicked in at some point. The other day, I finally tried again, more closely watching Task Manager, and surely enough, finishing the tutorial went all right. Maxed out my resources of course, but more or less the same building speed as GMS1.

Except of course for the IDE workspace rendering time being beautifully faster and cleaner than poor GMS1's! (Recently, I noted that the GM8 "skin" is really "unskinned," and thus I sadly let go of my Green and novelty HTML5 to get faster IDE workspace rendering.)

I do like GMS2 a lot better due to Ctrl+Tab hopping and (you very well know) the new room editor plus other lovely things. I haven't even built anything to use the Cleanup Event, but just reading on it, I'm already in love with that. (I'm definitely familiar with dropping a script or event_user() in multiple conditional places to clean stuff up. Yay, Cleanup Event.) Oh, and now you add the object variable list? Niiice.

So yeah, it looks like even my small specs can run GMS2 (which makes me wonder why you folks don't have "minimum requirements," "recommended requirements," and "encouraged specs" lists with more realistic minimums, then your current "minimums," then your current "recommended"), but I'll put it on my To Do List to update any blurb I wrote about my hardware not handling it. Now it's only a matter of my finances handling it. $:^ }

Thank ya, Mr. Mike, and regards,
Bob

P

paul093

I couldn't even use your help desk comfortably because Zen fails on Edge, and I had to dust off *cough*cough* Internet Exploder. However, today!

A

Andy

I am not a huge fan of subscription modules. But so long as my current license remains unaffected, and future releases will include a 1-time purchase option, I can't complain. I could see this being a nice addition for people unable to put down a large payment upfront. :)