Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ShaunJS, Nov 22, 2016.
Got as soon as I saw this
Actually, this was rather cheap which is a nice surprise.
Woop! Finally the nudge needed to move over to GMS 2. Really strugged to justify playing with 2 whilst still having to rely on 1 for making games, given my limited free time to code.
But now 2 is purchased and the current game project imported. Time to get to grips with all the changes
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
...erm... I mean... I totally didn't see Time22MeetYourMaker coming. *cough*
In the past couple of weeks I have become highly addicted to GMS and even when not working on my game I am thinking up ideas and working out how to fix issues/bugs I currently have.
With 40% off I'm very tempted to buy GMS2 but what's holding me back mainly is the steam thing, I like running all my games/apps via steam also I like how it tracks how much time I've spent on them. With no current plans for a steam release I am holding back in the hopes that it changes.
I would hate to buy it now and then if they decide to release it on steam later on, I have to buy it again.
Sorry, we currently have no plans for steam. On the plus side, we track usage inside the product now as well
So, wait. Can we view our usage of the IDE, or is that only for YoYo to see?
Also, holy crap guys, GMS 2 is amazing. I love it. THANKS YOYO <3 *glares at sandy*
@Lonewolff: the long-awaited make_game() function and totally l33t IDE that implements HTCPCP in cases of coffee emergency?
(then again, I guess there would still be some naysayers that'll complain about no green tea functionality, even though there would be one, and it would be described in manual as well)
Look in the ABOUT box for IDE stats, and in the main "options" for project stats. These are local stats though. If we ever get some cloud thing going, they can be more - but for now... local
Why not just add it to Steam with "Add a non-Steam game" you will get the "Time Played" and you will be able to launch it from inside the Steam GUI.
^^ now you mention it, where is that damn green tea functionality ?!
p I'm much more into tea, than coffee, I'm not missing the HTCPCP; but that tea functionality during the winter would rally make my day .)
Does the "Time in IDE" timer stop when the IDE loses focus and you use ie Photoshop, Gimp etc?
I thought maybe "Time in IDE" was specific to the IDE being in focus, and "Project Use Time" was just the IDE being open regardless of focus.
Weird one then, maybe a bug - but they wouldn't mess up counting, would they? lol!
...5.3, 6, 6.1, 7, 8, 8.1, Next...
I'm in! Installing now and hoping for no issues... sold on the thing mainly from uheartbeast's initial review 'cause I haven't had time to fool around with the Beta.
Best wishes for all you game makers!
I just bought it....I'm still not going to use it much just yet. I need to finish my kbinput re-write for 1.4 first, then I'll import it and make sure it works for GMS2. Then I'll worry about how the marketplace is going to handle having both versions, and if I'm going to have to make a new asset, or just update this one and manually supply the 1.4 version if someone needs it or whatever I end up doing. Totally going to be worth it especially with my 50% discount price. I don't know about the other licenses, but I'm likely going to get the mobile (iOS/Android) one once it is available.
Do future versions come with the core desktop version? Like when the web pack comes out, will that include the desktop pack? I don't want to waste my 50% discount.
I'm understanding that it doesn't come with desktop if it isn't the desktop license.
I'm also understanding that if you buy the desktop license now, you can still use the 50% discount later on other module sets.
I agree with @kburkhart84 .
If you get the HTML5 module, you won't be able to compile for desktop.
If you get the desktop module, you won't be able to compile for html5.
If you want both, you would have to buy both. ( they stack together, if you buy both, you can change the target in the ide like in studio 1.4 )
Also worth mentioning, When you upgrade, it ask you to provide a licence ( as a proof that you can upgrade ).
If you licence includes HTML5 module, then it will probably allow you to get both desktop and html5, both with the 50% discount.
That, tho, might not be true, since I didn't try nor heard anyone try it and report about it.
Hmm... I was wondering, you guys said that there is a limited time for the discount if you already have the 1.4 liscence, which I have. So... What's the limited date for the 2.0 liscence, since you just released it? (Cause you know, tomorrow is Black Friday, and I saved up some money for tomorrow, I don't really want to use that money now xd)
We will announce an end date with a good amount of notice for folk. it's not tomorrow
That is excellent news. I am planning on buying GM2 but I need to see what I have to spend on Christmas first!
It's really good to see you made the statistical collection a user choice. I'm not sure whether the 'user outrage*' swayed you or whether in the end you just felt it was the right thing to do for YYG - but thanks for doing it.
I've purchased it with my 50%, would be pretty ridiculous to pass that up in my opinion (although if you've spent many hundreds on v1.4 just this year I can completely understand the annoyance). I've enjoyed watching Mike's "game in a day" Twitch streams and seeing what the new system is capable of and it does look very cool. Now the tricky part of making time to actually get to grips with it...!
* by 'outrage' I just mean mainly commentary concerning the possible implications for us as developers. It was mostly all constructively put across, I think?!
I can't get the option to proceed, do I have to set up my payment options elsewhere? I checked "update your profile" and found nothing about payment there.
It had an impact sure, but really the clincher was the fact that some markets REQUIRE that you don't do this. So asking to be able to turn it off for some markets (educations, kids games etc) was utterly reasonable. We don't want to block markets your interested in if we can possible avoid it.
Everyone who get the process button problem, just head over your profile settings on the website, it's mostly due to some missing information ( like name ).
Make sure all your settings are set otherwise the checkout cannot proceed.
Thank you! All I had to do was add my name.
Awesome, just upgraded! Really excited to start porting my current project over. Great to see that Yoyo listened to the community and made telemetry an option for game builds
I'm having issues creating an executable after purchasing a copy
My restrictions have gone such as I'm able to create limitless objects/scripts, and I've tried reinstalling with no luck. Any ideas or anything I missed?
Edit: Hah ignore me, I sorted it! I had 'Test' platform selected, had to select Windows... I'll go get that much needed sleep
Got my copy! Glad I can test importing my projects, and starting to port games over to GMS2.
So just so we're clear, in order to develop for Android projects, I have to wait until the Mobile export is ready? AND I have to pay ANOTHER $399 (US)? .. probably not going to happen but we'll see...
Assuming you have an ios or Android licence now you would get a 40% discount, therefore $239.
If you had a master collection you would get a 50% discount, therefore $200.
And of course you have to wait til it's ready. Tell me, how many of your apps do you release before they're ready?
1. Wait until the module is out? : Yes. GameMaker Studio 2 is still only in beta, and the mobile module won't be out until Q1 ( so not until next year )
2. Each license is seperate. You paid 60$ (or 100$ if you didn't have the pro version ) to get the desktop license, but like the previous GameMaker Studio, the mobile license is seperate. The reason the price is so higher is because you get IOS and Android together. ( they are no longer seperate )
3. There is nothing wrong with contiuing to use GMS 1.4 ( if you have it ) because the program is still extremely good, and support for hte modules is announced to be maintained.
As a master collection user I am definitely buying this but I just bought the new MacBook Pro.
When the MAC version gets released do I have to buy that version as well or do you get both WINDOWS and MAC with the same license?
And I am referring to the application itself and not exports.
If I have andorid module, can I upgrade to Mobile license? or I must have both android & ios? @@
IOS and Android are no longer separated. You have to get the mobile license.
If you already own one or both of the two, you get 40% discount.
Also note that you can get the mobile version without getting the desktop version.
In such case you'll be able to TEST on desktop ( using the play button ) but you won't be able to EXPORT for desktop ( create the executable ).
That's great, thanks!
Looks like Mobile is not ready for upgrade at the moment? only desktop available for upgrade now?
Indeed. You can take a look at YoyoGame's RoadMap for the releases here.
Mobile Development will be available only next year, somewhere between january and march
I purchased this, and am loving the features I did test out beta for like a day, and thought immediate buy from me. I also had GMS professional for like 2 years or so so i got Game maker studio 2 for cheaper price which is amazing. hehe can't wait to create something.
Same here, about 2 hours of playing with the trial, and I immediatly bought it when it got out
All of them.
lol I too suffer this habit. Where my projects stand, none of them should've been released. With a team project that I am currently working on, I'm hoping to break the cycle.
I bought the desktop edition literally as soon as I found out about it being up for sale. I'm gonna have to get adjusted to this new workspace thing, but I'll get used to it. Change isn't always easy. But I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run. Keep up the great work, YoYoGames! My teammate could really use a Mac IDE so that's definitely something for him to look forward to.
im trying to understand what will happen if getting game maker studio 2 using the upgrade path,
1. some time after GMS 2 comes out of beta we lose our old GMS 1 all together and can never use it again.
2. how long after GMS 2 comes out will you take away our GMS 1.
3. we lose stuff we paid for like tizen for ever as its not going in GMS 2.
4. we will never be able to update any games on tizen store if question 3 is true.
Nobody is taking GMS 1.x from us. It's a different program we already paid for. "Upgrade" is just a fancy word for "Buy now another program with a discount price"
As for Tizen, I'm not entirely sure but I guess that as it is for GMS 1.x, and nobody is taking ot from you, you will still be able to use it.
1. They specifically stated that GameMaker:Studio 1.4 will continue to be supported. They won't release new features because now there is Studio 2, but support and updates for modules has been confirmed.
2. They didn't specify how long they would support, but I'm positive it's not before a while, as GMS2 is another program altogether.
3. You do not lose it, because GameMaker:Studio 1.4 is not going to die. Actually, GameMaker Studio could be considered as final and completed. The program is not dead, rather they will simply stop adding big features.
4. Mike specifically said that they will keep updating modules, for example android to make sure gm works on the latest android. ( ios, html5, tizen, they will all be kept updated )
Hopefully this answers your fear positively.
these are questions for staff such as @rwkay @Mike @rmanthorp or any other staff that will clear this up, as others are just guessing.
the only thing i can find does not mention the upgrade path but does mention you get GMS1 with GMS2 but you only get Windows, Ubuntu and Mac exports so you lose the others for your GMS1 found that here http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235626968 .
No, other aren't "just guessing".
Search the forums and you will find posts already made by the staff you mentioned stating that GMS 1.4 will not be getting any new features but will be kept updated to work with app stores and will still receive critical fixes.
You will still own and be able to use GMS1 for as long as they continue to support it - you can still use it afterwards perfectly fine but if you are using iOS/Android exports then once they stop support it will eventually not be able to export a game that would be accepted by the various app stores due to SDK upgrades etc.
You will get GMS1 free with GMS2 once it's released, but they are going to stop selling GMS1 soon and you will only be able to buy GMS2.
Also they will not be making any GMS1 exports available for purchase once GMS2 comes out - again there are posts on this already, use the search.
As for Tizen, you can't blame YYG for a platform failing and them deciding not to support it in GMS2.
no @rlKmAN are you one off the staff, what your not getting is lets say i use upgrade path as i keep saying, i get it for the windows, mac only, when GMS2 is released they will take away all my other exporters for GMS1 and il only have the ones stated in my last post, windows ubuntu and mac, so you see using the upgrade path we will lose a lot if we only use it for the standard windows mac GMS2, im not talking about sdk's or anything else, i can get round them my self, but i cant get round my GMS1 master collection getting taken away if i use the upgrade path when just get windows/mac.
if i dont use the upgrade path and buy GMS2 on another licence, i will be able to keep using my master collection for a couple more years, see what im getting at, @rwkay @Mike @rmanthorp need to answer my last question on page 2 of this thread.
You wil KEEP YOUR CURRENT LICENSE.
It won't get removed, you still will be able to use GMS1.4 Master collection, as long as you wish.
GMS2 is a DIFFERENT SOFTWARE and as such you won't UPGRADE from your current license to gms2, you will simply benefit a discount when buying the new software only because
you had gms1.4 before.
I will say it again: When you buy GMS2, you KEEP YOUR CURRENT GMS1.4 LICENSE, including all modules.
hopefully, that was clear.
No I'm not staff obviously, but I have read the posts of those staff on this very forum and repeated verbatim what they have said. Sorry that isn't good enough for you, but you're welcome to make them repeat the same information to you again.
You don't lose anything related to GMS1, you will still own and be able to use it like you always have, including all the exports you own.
Whether you buy via upgrade or buy another licence, you will still be able to use GMS1 for as long as you want to. My point was that if once they stop supporting GMS1 (whenever that may be) then eventually it will stop being able to export to the the latest iOS / Android / OSX etc because keeping compatibility with these platforms is a constantly evolving thing and needs updates.
I'm not sure where you have the idea that buying GMS2 somehow deactivates anything to do with GMS1, you are wrong, but you are welcome to ignore the information already posted on the forum and and the YYG website and wait for the YYG staff to repeat themselves again - it just seems like they could be using their time a bit better, don't you think?
The strange part is that you won't be able to get any export modules for it!
Here, you have questions, so I went on the GMS2 FAQ page.
Link to the GameMaker Studio 2 Faq page: here