• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Gamemaker studio 1 and API level 28

J

Jupelius

Hey,
i was wondering how do you make the google play to approve your game made with gamemaker studio 1?
I have developed couple years a game, and now im about ready to release it on google play.
But i have encountered problem as the google play doesn't like some security issue, as my setup was what i had few years ago.
So now im in big confusion with everything... It says it needs to be API 28 to meet the security of google...

I uninstalled my SDK from "SDK command line tool" and installed the "Android Studio". Then i tried to install it
as its instructed in the gamemakers site. But still the "google play console" said, that my Api level is 23 and it should be 28.
I tried to chance the "global game settings" and place "target api" to 28, but still the google doesnt let me download it there.

This is my first gameproject that im satisfied enough to release it, so im not accustomed to release games.
One mans indie studio isn't fast thing to do and if you want to do something good, it takes a little bit time.
But as this is something i have thrown time and money, i would really need to release it before moving to gamemaker studio 2 in the future.

Also i dont know which version of NDK should i use. I have two earlier version and one newer that seems to come with Android Studio,
but that didn't let me build the game at all... So i used "ndk-r13b" instead, as i used before. As i dont anymore remember what
all of these things actually do, im a bit lost.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You don't. GMS 1 is no longer eligible for Google Play because of the new 64-bit binary and API level requirements, and YoYo will not develop for it again because GMS 1 is way past sunset. Either you bite the bullet by migrating to GMS 2 now (which has a built-in converter that tries to keep the logic as intact as possible, but manual testing is advised), or let your project sit in your workshop forever.

Next time, expedite your development and/or scale down your projects if you want to target iOS or Android. Mobile platforms have an update cycle so frequent that it just can't accommodate snail-paced work.

If you have the HTML5 export module (and your game is HTML5 compatible) you could publish it as a "hybrid application."

A hybrid app is basically an HTML5 app (you would need to host it on your website, and "wrap" it to run as a native application with PhoneGap or something similar.) If you don't have the HTML5 module: You'll need to upgrade to GMS2 when you can afford to do so. Maybe keep an eye out for humble bundles and the like. Good luck, my friend. Hope this works out.

J

Jupelius

Yeah, i notice that now.
I have been developing for hobby alongside actual work , but as my talent has grown a lot, i thought to target being actual indie developer.
It fooled me, that i could still get my game work in my new "note10 lite" phone, to not realise the fact that publising a game isn't as simple as that.

I only have windows and mobile licences for the GMS1.4.
I thought i could make my first released project still whit this software, to pay me the upgrade to forward. :)
Guess i was a year too late!

One question still. Does the "creator edition" give you the ability to convert the project to GMS2 file aswell?
So i could first check how messy it will be continue and recode in GMS2? (then decide when to fully upgrade the licences).
(I have also used the GMS2 trial last year, so thats not helping to decide).

As there is many things, that i know is working differently comparing to GMS2 in my codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i notice that now.
I have been developing for hobby alongside actual work , but as my talent has grown a lot, i thought to target being actual indie developer.
It fooled me, that i could still get my game work in my new "note10 lite" phone, to not realise the fact that publising a game isn't as simple as that.

I only have windows and mobile licences for the GMS1.4.
I thought i could make my first released project still whit this software, to pay me the upgrade to forward. :)
Guess i was a year too late!

One question still. Does the "creator edition" give you the ability to convert the project to GMS2 file aswell?
So i could first check how messy it will be continue and recode in GMS2? (then decide when to fully upgrade the licences).
(I have also used the GMS2 trial last year, so thats not helping to decide).
GMS2 is very good at "auto-magically" converting GMS1 projects. It installs compatibility scripts and provides you with a log in the "notes" section.
My old games worked perfectly. No manual changes required.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I can also vouch that everything except for one thing I upgraded from GMS1 to GMS2 worked perfectly. I did then fix the things that added compatibility scripts so that they would use the new GMS2 versions of things(primarily in the new way views/cameras worked). The one thing that didn't work was a simple graphical glitch which happened due to a texture group setting(I think it was the automatic cropping setting). Besides that, everything simply worked.

So, in my opinion, your best bet is indeed to purchase the creator subscription. It won't let you export to mobile or HTML5, but will let you export to either Windows or Mac. That's more than enough for you to be completely sure over that years time if the software is good enough for your needs. And if within that time you figure out that a permanent desktop license is good, they offer a 30% discount on the price. You would still need to add HTML5 and/or mobile if you wanted that, but by that point you would be fully aware of whether it would be in your best interest. It is a common thing to be willing to make a small investment in order to determine if the bigger investment is worthwhile.