OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 1.4 Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/436

Recently we celebrated the five-year anniversary of GameMaker Studio’s launch. The engine has come a long way since then and has brought with it many achievements and milestones we’re incredibly proud to behold. With the recent release of GameMaker Studio 2, we are striving to continue the legacy by enabling unprecedented game development accessibility for new and existing users alike.

Moving forward, we are transitioning our focus onto GameMaker Studio 2 to ensure it receives the attention necessary to foster the next generation of 2D game development. As such, we are announcing today our official “Sunsetting” plan for GameMaker Studio 1.4. Over the next 14 months, until 31 July 2018, we will continue to mend major issues and support platform updates for Studio 1.4. After the 14-month period, Studio 1.4 will still function normally however, we cannot guarantee it will remain compatible with every platform’s future updates.

We realise the cost to switch to GameMaker Studio 2 may be out of reach for some and we’re addressing this by extending the discounted upgrade period to 31 August 2017. We’re hopeful the three-month extension will provide our community members ample time to find the means to upgrade to GameMaker Studio 2.

You can upgrade to GameMaker Studio 2 using your YoYo Account.

Again, we’d really like to thank our amazing community for supporting GameMaker Studio and using it to make an immensely excellent library of games – you’re all making the world a better place!

Cheers,

YoYo Games

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
Thanks for confirming the timeline. 14 months is plenty of time to make the transition in full.

Edit (13 months later): Yeah, about that...the HTML5 module in GMS2 is still unusable 3 days before sunset. I can't port any of my 70+ games from GMS1 to GMS2. Really disappointed with the lack of updates, bug fixes, and communication from YoYo Games in 2018.

Last edited:

Ricardo

I'm truly happy with this announce as it shown maturity by the company. I'm also happy mr. Dailly has solved several issues I have reported recently in Mantis, demonstrating the support is real and that YoYo is actually working in general bug fixing for 1.4. Keep up the good work guys! When the time come, I'll feel a lot safer to switch to 2.0 and make it my daily work tool.

hippyman

I knew it was only a matter of time. As Frosty mentioned, it's nice to actually be given an ETA for this. I'm said to hear that the end is near but it's nice to see you guys moving forward!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
While ~2y is a slightly less of a "foreseeable future" than I would have expected, having exact dates is nice. Hopefully the particularly problematic bugs are fixed by that time, or import+compatibility in GMS2 are improved substantially enough to import most projects without too much tinkering (currently things can get weird for projects that were making extensible use of tiles/backgrounds/dynamic depth changing)
anyone else have the blog site utterly broken in chrome for the last week or so?

https://i.gyazo.com/9acadea950e17da937229aed96504743.gif
Chrome had shown some oddities recently for me, but these would not usually stick for more than a few page refreshes.

I

icuurd12b42

While ~2y is a slightly less of a "foreseeable future" than I would have expected, having exact dates is nice. Hopefully the particularly problematic bugs are fixed by that time, or import+compatibility in GMS2 are improved substantially enough to import most projects without too much tinkering (currently things can get weird for projects that were making extensible use of tiles/backgrounds/dynamic depth changing)

Chrome had shown some oddities recently for me, but these would not usually stick for more than a few page refreshes.
Hmm, something changed on that page that's causing my TamperMonkey Script to freak out.. so not a yoyo issue.

Oh, it's forcing https when you try to load http...

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Had to happen eventually, nice to get a 14 months heads up too ( and speaking from experience, probably a lot nicer for the people on helpdesk too :p )

A

Andy

This is sad news, but I understand the decision. Thank you for letting us know the plan.

W

Wraithious

Speaking of which, just wondering if there will be any more updates or is it completly done?

Dog Slobber

If their intention was to stop releasing (say April 1), then that would have been their posted sunset date.

We don't know whether they will be releasing another update and they certainly won't be publicly stating that even though their sunset date is July 31, they have no intentions of anymore updates.

W

Wraithious

If their intention was to stop releasing (say April 1), then that would have been their posted sunset date.

We don't know whether they will be releasing another update and they certainly won't be publicly stating that even though their sunset date is July 31, they have no intentions of anymore updates.
Thanks for the info, I was really hoping they'd address some of the major and more annoying bugs before they let it go, such as these 3 for starters:

must use power of 2 problen in android: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...te_ext-and-surfaces-problem-in-android.36993/
android extension garbage collects SPEECH to TEXT activity results: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...d-with-extension-onactivityresult-lost.26251/
miscleaneous irritating gms1 behavior: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/after-updating-manual-is-not-loading.11073/
Here's a screenshot as you requested, I'm running windows 10 creator's edition on a 2 year old 4 core dell laptop with the stock radeon graphics card.
I don't know of this is related or not but usually when this happens to me other things are also happening along with it, I suspect it's some kind of memory allocation issue, to explain what I mean this is the order things go from good to bad:
1. after several test runs of a game the manual won't open any more
2. after that if I have an object window open and click the tooth brush (clean project) button the information box "Target cleaned" most of the time appears UNDER the object properties window so you have to cycle the task bar a few times to click OK.
3. Now things start getting weird, sometimes if I click a resource to edit, doesn't matter if it's a sprite or object or whatever, the wrong edit resource box will open!
4. If switching from windows mode to android the compiler can't find my android device
5. if in android mode and try to test build a project I get an error "can't create file system"
6. Then finally I get a message saying I have a stale temp file and should clear it, so I clear it and clear the cache too I get a "memory low on resources" error
The only way to solve any of these errors is to restart my computer, not just gamemaker, my whole computer has to be restarted.

rIKmAN

Mike has posted on here that there will be another final update before sunset, you'd have to search for the post though as it wasn't a thread, just a comment he made in an unrelated thread.

Last edited:

Ednei

I keep thinking

Why does not Yoyogames provide an open source version of Game Maker 1.4 now that it will be officially discontinued?

Why not give GM 1.4 users the ability to create their own solutions to continue using the tool?

The answer seems obvious: Not to spoil the business of GM2.

But GM2 would not be a new product? So you would have no problem getting GM 1.4 open right?

Let's think about the positives:

1 - Would not this be a way to stimulate the popularization of the GML language?

2 - Would not be a way to attract the attention of game developers to GM2?

3 - Would not be a way to destroy the competition? Especially a certain 2D / 3D (free) game creation tool that has been standing out in recent times?

I am not a programmer, but my university education is Administration.

Before I forget, I have GM1.4 (Master Collection) and GM2 license.

And I'm rooting for the growth of Yoyogames and Game Maker.

Ednei

zbox

GMC Elder
Why not give GM 1.4 users the ability to create their own solutions to continue using the tool?

But GM2 would not be a new product? So you would have no problem getting GM 1.4 open right?
Wild idea: The source of the runners are substantially based on the previous GM versions ones ;)

Ednei

Wild idea: The source of the runners are substantially based on the previous GM versions ones ;)
Of course it's a crazy idea. I know that.

Flappy Birds and Angry Birds were not the result of crazy ideas that were successful?

But it's not a bad idea, is it? :p

Dog Slobber

I keep thinking

Why does not Yoyogames provide an open source version of Game Maker 1.4 now that it will be officially discontinued?

Let's think about the positives:

1 - Would not this be a way to stimulate the popularization of the GML language?

2 - Would not be a way to attract the attention of game developers to GM2?

3 - Would not be a way to destroy the competition? Especially a certain 2D / 3D (free) game creation tool that has been standing out in recent times?

I am not a programmer, but my university education is Administration.

Before I forget, I have GM1.4 (Master Collection) and GM2 license.

And I'm rooting for the growth of Yoyogames and Game Maker.

Ednei
For YoYo Games to even consider moving an older product to open source it has to make business and financial sense. I don't see anything in your positives that would even remotely address how much moving 1.4 to open source instead of canibilizing it.

zbox

GMC Elder
Of course it's a crazy idea. I know that.

Flappy Birds and Angry Birds were not the result of crazy ideas that were successful?

But it's not a bad idea, is it? :p
I can't tell if we're on the same wavelength here - They are definately substantially similar. :p

So "discussion of any other game engine" equals "promoting" those engines?
It's a guideline, so that would be at the moderators discretion.

It is not our privilege to know the will of our forum gods.

So it's not strictly forbidden, but I imagine if we started full on discussion of pros and cons of other engines we may invoke the wrath of the admins:)

Y

Yotzer

in my opinion yoyo should fix the import problem from 1.4 to 2 to perfection before the "sunset".
explain: !it does not work well! and i am not talking about importing just your own previous projects in case you were a 1.4 user ,i am talking about the old assets in the marketplace which when not having an alternative you will want to import it to gms 2 but.....in most of the cases you end up with a bad transcription that does not work and fix it sometimes takes more time than building it from scratch.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
in my opinion yoyo should fix the import problem from 1.4 to 2 to perfection before the "sunset".
explain: !it does not work well! and i am not talking about importing just your own previous projects in case you were a 1.4 user ,i am talking about the old assets in the marketplace which when not having an alternative you will want to import it to gms 2 but.....in most of the cases you end up with a bad transcription that does not work and fix it sometimes takes more time than building it from scratch.
Make sure to file bugs for assets/projects that break on import

A

Axyl

The marketplace hasn't even had reporting work correctly for well over a year. And the reporting it gives is lacking. You can't even see what payouts you have received and what is still pending. If that doesn't scream 'made for kids', I don't know what does.

Dog Slobber

I don't see why it is breaking the rules talking about this, as YYG has established that they don't consider Enigma to be a competing product.
Because what you posted that's not what the guideline is.

The guideline is not to:
Post topics that could promote any product that directly or indirectly competes with any product by YoYo Games Ltd.
Add to that, where has it been established that YYGs doesn't consider it a competing product?

What this topic has is a hearsay comment alleged by Mike, without much content. Mike is not YYGs, he certainly is an influential member, but he is not YoYo Games. An alleged comment, from a non-public conversation without context is a poor way to dictate company policy.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

he is not YoYo Games.
You know he actually is, right? Or, well, one of the official developers of GameMaker. He isn't the only person who works in the company YoYoGames, yeah. But I don't understand what point that is trying to convey. In any case, I'm not talking about that other stuff anymore. I'm just trying to understand your comment better, when you say, "Mike is not YoYoGames".

Forgive me if this is a stupid post. I'm actually sick right now, so I'm not completely here mentally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just trying to understand your comment better, when you say, "Mike is not YoYoGames".
I think the point being made is that "Mike works for YYG", but he is not necessarily "the official voice providing all views that covers the official stance/opinion of YYG in all things". It's like when you see the disclaimers on the interview parts of a DVD/BluRay documentary that says the comments and opinions of the people involved are not necessarily those of the studio or production company.
Mike's comments are basically his comments. Russell works for YYG, but he may have different opinions to those that Mike posts.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I think the point being made is that "Mike works for YYG", but he is not necessarily "the official voice providing all views that covers the official stance/opinion of YYG in all things". It's like when you see the disclaimers on the interview parts of a DVD/BluRay documentary that says the comments and opinions of the people involved are not necessarily those of the studio or production company.
Mike's comments are basically his comments. Russell works for YYG, but he may have different opinions to those that Mike posts.
Thanks for answering my question. :)

Dog Slobber

I'm just trying to understand your comment better, when you say, "Mike is not YoYoGames".
The person who I quoted heard an alleged comment Mike made, "It's a tool made by kids for kids". He then came to the conclusion that YoYo Games had established that it was not a competing product.

Mike expressing an opinion is certainly not describing what YoYo Games has established.

You know he actually is, right?
Of course I know who he is.

Do you know what a public company is?

Last edited:

Dog Slobber

So?

YYG is a private company.

Still confused as to what difference it makes to your argument.
So?

If YYGs is owned by Playtech, then by extension, it too is public. Technically a subsidiary.

If I buy shares in Playtech, i own a part of playtech and a part of YYGs.

Everything a public company owns is by extension public

Last edited:
A

Arheddis Varkenjaab

So?

If YYGs is owned by Playtech, then by extension, it too is public. Technically a subsidiary.

If I buy shares in Playtech, i own a part of playtech and a part of YYGs.

Everything a public company owns is by extension public
Either way, I fail to see the relevance of what you are arguing about.

@Samuel Venable All good :)

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
As much as I dislike doing so, I removed some posts that were personal discussions unrelated to the topic. I regret any confusion this may cause.

F

FallFlat

What is GMS2's lifetime? Like how many years until its successor release? If there are new generation of game consoles release in it's lifetime. Will you add the function to port the game to them too?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
What is GMS2's lifetime? Like how many years until its successor release?
If GMS 2.x follows the same schedule as GMS 1.x's (released May 2012, to be discontinued August 2018), you can expect about 6 years.

If there are new generation of game consoles release in it's lifetime. Will you add the function to port the game to them too?
That will depend on whether YoYo decides to negotiate with the console's vendor, and whether that vendor says yes in time. Don't assume for even a moment that YoYo holds all the cards in matters like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.