Released GameMaker Runner

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I created an example application which demonstrates how to run GameMaker games built with the VM targets that stay on top of the initial window. Useful for creating a game selection menu. Requires building multiple games separately, and a game menu, using the same exact version of GMS 2 for it to be guaranteed to work. I included useful scripts and extensions which make this process easier.

The example gives a means to select a GameMaker VM game file (data.win, game.ios, game.unx, game.droid, etc) and run it on top of the menu window.

It's better to have an actual menu window, that has a custom inferface that doesn't rely on the get_open_filename dialog, and list specific game names to select, but this is just for demoing the idea and give you a place to start. Designed specifically for game that run in a window, and it may not be as useful with fullscreen games. For fullscreen games you don't have to worry about accidentally losing window focus with the mouse, so this is a workaround for windowed games to achieve something similar.

Works in Windows and Mac. The Mac *.dylib files in the extensions need to be code signed, and you can't test run from the IDE the 'normal' way on Mac, because you will get signing identity conflicts, so you will need to create application for testing instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

I fixed a bug with the macOS version where the child window would stop staying on top of its parent if the parent or child window gets minimized or hidden. Also fixed a bug where the child window used to not open on top initially. These two bugs kinda defeated the purpose of this example on mac, anyways I'm glad I fixed it.