GameMaker related Newsletters?

Zodaris

I was wondering if there were any GameMaker related Newsletters (outside of the official one from YoYo that is). If you know of any can you link them here?

Also, do people still pay attention to things like monthly Newsletters (email based, RSS Feed based, or both) these days or do most people seem to sign up then ignore all future emails? (I understand that answers to this question will mostly be speculation, and real research must be done. But I'd like to know your thoughts on this.)

I'm asking this since I'm considering making a monthly newsletter. Specifically, I'd like to make a newsletter covering games made with GameMaker (any version) that came out last month, and is scheduled to release in the month following the issue. May have a section for kickstarters and such but then again maybe not. The idea is that if this is liked enough, I'd like to eventually make a site that acts as a database of sorts that lists all GMS games (1 & 2. Older versions may end up being included but there's just so many and most don't work anymore from what I understand) including a description and links on where to buy them. Not a store, but more like a catalog.

Thoughts? (And if you do like it, name ideas would be appreciated, :p )

Weird Dragon

Wizard
GMC Elder
I don't know what is around at this point in time.
On Mark Overmars' original Game Maker site as it looked in 2003 is an interesting magazine. The magazine was not an official Game Maker magazine, but you could download it from Mark Overmars' site. The magazine was made by a user named Morphosis. He is not a member of the current GMC as far as I can see.

Here is the link to the site as it appeared in 2003:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030401114933if_/http://www.gamemaker.nl:80/doc.html

The magazine can still be downloaded. Issue 1 of has an interview with Mark Overmars.

RSS is dead now, although I'm sure someone will try to resurrect it. Most try to get in Facebook, Twitter, Google feeds and so on. Much greater use and ease of use.

Since I dig through the WIP forum so much, I've thought about doing a weekly top 3 games in the WIP / released forum.

W

:wink:

I don't know what is around at this point in time.
On Mark Overmars' original Game Maker site as it looked in 2003 is an interesting magazine. The magazine was not an official Game Maker magazine, but you could download it from Mark Overmars' site. The magazine was made by a user named Morphosis. He is not a member of the current GMC as far as I can see.

Here is the link to the site as it appeared in 2003:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030401114933if_/http://www.gamemaker.nl:80/doc.html

The magazine can still be downloaded. Issue 1 of has an interview with Mark Overmars.
Wow! The Author went to some fantastic lengths there! I can see why it only lasted two issues. A huge amount of effort went in to that.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
RSS is dead now, although I'm sure someone will try to resurrect it. Most try to get in Facebook, Twitter, Google feeds and so on. Much greater use and ease of use.

Since I dig through the WIP forum so much, I've thought about doing a weekly top 3 games in the WIP / released forum.
Plenty of websites still provide RSS feeds and there are still native and web-based RSS readers (such as Feedly). In comparison, it costs money to run an email-based newsletter, as you cannot send a large quantity of letters from a single host without getting flagged as spam.

Weird Dragon

Wizard
GMC Elder

Zodaris

Thanks for the link to that piece of GameMaker history!

I use RSS to keep up with web comics I've found and enjoy. Always a bummer when they don't have it so I have to manually check the site and remember when they typically update. (I mean I COULD follow them on social media or something, but Facebook is the only one I have and it'd be weird to have the people I have as friends on there knowing what I follow and like. Introvert online as much as offline I suppose.)
@YellowAfterlife It didn't occur to me that I'd have to account for being flagged as spam and would need to pay to avoid that. That's very good to know.

I'm probably not going to pursue this, though the thought exercise of how I'd pull it off was enlightening and has given me ideas for other future projects I might actually end up doing.