• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Podcasts?

M

Mark Freedman

Hi all. Does anyone know if there are any podcasts centered around GameMaker? I know there a bunch of game dev podcasts (indie, etc.), and the more general ones are cool. But most seem to fade away after a year or so. And some dev-specific ones seem to be focused on Unity. Unity is great, but GameMaker is perfect for what we like to build, and it would be great if a podcast existed around this community, especially upon the GMS 2 release.

I'm still learning, so I'm not so sure I'd be the right candidate to start one -- although if I did, I'd probably interview experienced GameMaker devs, so it would still be beneficial.

Of course, game design episodes would cut across all engines, and there are podcasts which cover this well. But there's always room for more, especially intertwined with using GMS to implement some of those design ideas.

So, I may be rambling a bit... but do others think this would be worthwhile?

Thanks.

T

ThunkGames

I remember looking for a GameMaker specific podcast a while back, but not finding anything worthwhile. I'd love to have one to listen to if it was done right (and by right I mean reasonably OK)!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
There's been lots of GM-based media over the years. Magazines (ezines), blogs, web casts. Some web casts were quite good, with interesting topics and good production value. Same for the ezines. I enjoyed them.

Typical lifetimes were fairly short. Maybe a half-dozen episodes over the course of a year, although some lasted longer. Eventually school and/or jobs get in the way. Or interest wanes. Or both. So that's understandable.

I think the GM community enjoyed them, for the most part. So if you decide to do this, you'll get some followers.

I'm still learning, so I'm not so sure I'd be the right candidate to start one.
I wouldn't worry about that. It's more important you have good communication skills. And a good sense of production value.

M

Mark Freedman

Thanks. I'm still up in the air about doing it myself. I'm going to be experimenting with my setup. It's been a few years since I was last on a podcast, and had to have a good microphone, pop filter, etc. Have to re-familiarize myself with Audacity as well, and look into what all the best podcasters are using these days for production. There are a couple of them who created tutorials around that.

M

mysticjim

Reviving an old thread I know, but funnily enough I am toying with an idea about Gamemaker themed podcast myself. Making a few enquiries so hopefully look out for a thread from myself soon if all goes to plan. :)

S

SouthernShotty

I think it'd be really cool to hear some success stories from creators like undertale, hotline miami, etc.