• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL GameMaker on Steam

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hey everyone,

We wanted to let you know that the free version of GameMaker is now available to download on Steam. All subscription tiers can also now be purchased and used via Steam. The Steam subscriptions work in the exact same way as those available on our website.

If you own any licences for GameMaker, you can also sign into your account and use any of the exports via this new free version on Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1670460/GameMaker/

The old permanent licence versions of GameMaker Studio 2 will be removed from sale on the Steam Store on 1st June. If you want to grab them before then, you’re welcome to do so.

If you already own and use the older Steam versions, the good news is that we’ll be continuing to release updates for them, so you don’t need to switch to the new product if you don’t want to.

Thanks
Ross

gnysek

The old permanent licence versions of GameMaker Studio 2 will be removed from sale on the Steam Store on 1st June. If you want to grab them before then, you’re welcome to do so.
Hints:
- It can be claimed to parallel subscription (1 year of Indie sub. per each licence), without losing rights to use permanent license, after connecting YYG account and Steam account.
- By connecting YYG account with Steam, you can also use non-Steam EXE version of GM, which doesn't require Steam launcher, if there are any issues with it.
- Rumor/own opinion: permanent licence for sure will work with GM 2022 LTS version (which will get SDK/OS updates until at least June 2024, but no new features), and should also work for all other GM versions with new features released in next few month, at least until "new runtime" will be released (nobody said it won't work after that - probably even YYG didn't decided about it yet). Still, even if permanent license could not be used with new runtime - subscription should be - so go back to point 1) ;)

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It's actually pretty thoughtful to specify when exactly the old permanent licenses will become unavailable, so that people have last chance to grab them before they'll need to switch over to subscriptions.

Tagging @KyleRansford just in case, because they were actively interested in purchasing extra Steam licenses to get permanent versions.
(though I imagine they'd check out this topic on their own sooner or later, probably sooner)

BenRK

It's a shame, but we all knew this was coming sooner or later. I already have all the perpetual licenses I want, so this really doesn't affect me, but I hope those who do want the licenses can get them before they're gone.

BenRK

Just remember those licenses are valid for versions of GameMaker, which use GMS2 runtime.
Whenever new runtime comes (beta next year), old permalicenses won't cover it, as it isn't GMS2 runtime or any update to it, but written from scratch.
Oh I know. I can afford the subscription myself when it comes time to, though I understand my situation isn't the same for everyone else. If I recall correctly, the LTM version we're getting in the near future will be the last version the perma licenses alone can use?

On the Subscriptions page inside my account on YoYoGames.com. I seem to only be able to subscribe to the Monthly subscription. Free for 24 months, but cannot do so for the yearly? That would be 2 years, then $99.99 each year thereafter. Will that go through if I just subscribe for the yearly, or is it going to charge me, even though I have 24 months available?

Or maybe, I can sign up for the Monthly, then immediately cancel and it will run up until the last free month. Then, afterwards once the 24th month ends, I can sign up for the Yearly subscription at that point?

I just don't want to forget about the subscription, then end up paying the $9.99/month rather than the preferred $99.99/year?

EDIT: Spelling

It's a shame, but we all knew this was coming sooner or later. I already have all the perpetual licenses I want, so this really doesn't affect me, but I hope those who do want the licenses can get them before they're gone.
It is nice that they're giving a heads up when they could have just quietly retired the old Steam pages without notice.

If I recall correctly, the LTM version we're getting in the near future will be the last version the perma licenses alone can use?
I asked about the final version for perpetual licenses in the recent Q&A thread and the answer was something to the effect of that the final version hasn't been determined yet.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
On the Subscriptions page inside my account on YoYoGames.com. I seem to only be able to subscribe to the Monthly subscription. Free for 24 months, but cannot do so for the yearly? That would be 2 years, then $99.99 each year thereafter. Will that go through if I just subscribe for the yearly, or is it going to charge me, even though I have 24 months available?
When my free months were about to run out, it turned out I can't change my monthly subscription from back then to a yearly one.
So I contacted the support, they made it so that the monthly subscription wouldn't renew, and after my subscription expired I purchased the yearly one.

It's pretty unwieldy, but doable. But it's true that it's quite a hassle, especially with remembering to unsubscribe when the time comes - although maybe you can contact support right away so that they would disable renewal, and then the worst thing to happen if you don't remember is that GM exports will stop working and then you'll definitely remember to resubscribe yearly.
Maybe someday the subscriptions UI will be finally improved so that we can actually disable renewal ourselves...

drandula

If I recall correctly, the LTM version we're getting in the near future will be the last version the perma licenses alone can use?
Long-term support version will have patches but no new features for two years. First version I think will be made from from 2022.6 version. This LST will exist alongside normal GameMaker, which is constantly updated. I understood, that "last newest" version of GameMaker permalicense users can access will be GameMaker just before new runtime. But LST version will get fixes and support after this too, which you more preferably want to use, although you can use any version with GMS2 runtime.

@Alice - Yeah, that was exactly what I was looking to do. Just have the Monthly subscription cancel automatically, then allow me to subscribe to the Yearly at that point. I'll reach out to support before I even setup the subscription. Thank you for sharing your experience :)

gnysek

I understood, that "last newest" version of GameMaker permalicense users can access will be GameMaker just before new runtime.
I understand exactly the same: latest version with current runtime + LTS with "summer 2022" runtime (+ bugfixes/SDK Fixes/OS Compatibility fixes).
No matter what, pernament license owners even without subscription should be able to use working (and up to date) version of GM at least until Q3 2024. On Desktops I believe it will work even beyond 2030, same as GMS 1.x still works decade after it's release (there's 10 year anniversary on 22nd May).

Last edited:

luckz

Is there any chance of a going away sale on Steam?
There's people interested in your product just to satisfy their compulsive buying urges, so even selling "the software without any license to use it" for a dollar would net you money. :bunny:

Anuj Raghav

I Already have perpetual licenses which are eligible of 36 months of indie subscription ..
few questions-
1 : if I opt for my 36 month subscription , will I loose my perpetual license ? if not how will both work and what will happen after 36 months of subscription ?
2 : I am eligible for 36 months but I cant choose 3 year yearly plan ...why am I forced to opt for 36 months monthly plan only.
3 : if I opt for 36 months subscription now and also buy 1 year subscription now from steam , will I get 36+12 months?
4: after my 36 month expiration of subscription can I continue my subscription via steam ?

drandula

I Already have perpetual licenses which are eligible of 36 months of indie subscription ..
few questions-
1 : if I opt for my 36 month subscription , will I loose my perpetual license ? if not how will both work and what will happen after 36 months of subscription ?
2 : I am eligible for 36 months but I cant choose 3 year yearly plan ...why am I forced to opt for 36 months monthly plan only.
3 : if I opt for 36 months subscription now and also buy 1 year subscription now from steam , will I get 36+12 months?
4: after my 36 month expiration of subscription can I continue my subscription via steam ?
1. You don't lose perpetual license when you use your free months, those are granted as extra, permanent licenses are not being converted. After subscription ends you are back to your perpetual licenses.
For rest 2-3. I don't know exact answers.

D

Deleted member 16767

So, to be clear about this, users who have bought GameMaker get lifetime subscription to export to, for example, the desktop at no cost? Or will we have to subscribe with money some time in the future?

drandula

So, to be clear about this, users who have bought GameMaker get lifetime subscription to export to, for example, the desktop at no cost? Or will we have to subscribe with money some time in the future?
You have not bought lifetime subscription for GameMaker, that doesn't exist.
You have bought perpetual license for GameMaker Studio 2 to export to given platform.

Notice subtle difference. Also "GameMaker Studio 2" doesn't exist anymore, it is just GameMaker. But current GameMaker uses GameMaker Studio 2 runtime, which is why your perpetual license is valid for exporting. The IDE is license agnostic, so basically you are using free version of GameMaker, but you are allowed to export because of your perpetual license.

For my understanding, with perpetual licenses you can export with any version of GameMaker, which uses GMS2 runtime.

New runtime (which comes maybe next year) is not GMS2 runtime, which is why perpetual license does not cover it. When GameMaker adopts new runtime, you can still keep using older version of GameMaker, which still uses GMS2 runtime. This os either last version of GameMaker before new runtime, or long-term support of GameMaker with GMS2 runtime.

When new runtime comes, I assume you can use GameMaker IDE for free like currently, but to export you need subscription.

D

Deleted member 16767

Right. So we can still use GMS2 and export to desktop for lifetime (that is not getting supported anymore)? Just not with the new runtime? If it's like that, how will we use the new runtime if we decide to go back to the old runtime when our subscription expires? Then when we decide to subscribe again, how will we go from the old runtime to the new runtime?

I'm sorry for being confused. I'm not an engine developer. I just make things with it.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I imagine GameMaker old runtime and GameMaker new runtime will be completely separate applications altogether, in the same way GameMaker: Studio 1 is a completely different application than what we recently called GameMaker: Studio 2.

So switching between the old runtime and new runtime will be just a matter of running a different application. And then:
- the old runtime applications will allow export when you have a corresponding perpetual license or subscription (I say applications, because old runtime will also have LTS version and the last old runtime version)
- the new runtime applications will allow export only when you're currently subscribing

At least, that's the most intuitive and technically feasible setup I can think of.

D

Deleted User

Right. So we can still use GMS2 and export to desktop for lifetime (that is not getting supported anymore)? Just not with the new runtime? If it's like that, how will we use the new runtime if we decide to go back to the old runtime when our subscription expires? Then when we decide to subscribe again, how will we go from the old runtime to the new runtime?

I'm sorry for being confused. I'm not an engine developer. I just make things with it.
overly simplified answer:

GameMakerStudio2-runtime aka "Old runtime"
-this is the runtime we use now
-GMS2 technology.

"New runtime" aka GameMaker"-Studio3"-runtime
-
completely rewritten runtime
-new runtime is Basically GameMaker"-Studio3"-runtime
-released probably at 2023.

LTS
-"GameMaker Long Term Support", this is released around 6/2022.
-will not get new features after 6/2022, but it gets bugfixes to 2024.
-will be most stable version ever.

what the licences cover?

GameMakerStudio2 permanent\perpetual licence:

-GameMaker LTS.
-ALL GameMaker versions and runtimes BEFORE the "new runtime" is released.
-You can use this licence as long as yoyo licence server is up and running, so maybe to year 2030? 2040? who knows.
-You can NOT use "new runtime" with GMS2 licence, you can use only "old runtime" aka GMS2 runtime.

GameMaker Subscription licence:
-GameMaker LTS.
-"New runtime" aka GameMaker"-Studio3"-runtime.
-Old runtime (GMS2 technology)
-All GameMakerStudio1 GameMakerStudio2 GameMaker versions ever produced and released.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vertette

>The old permanent licence versions of GameMaker Studio 2 will be removed from sale on the Steam Store on 1st June.
Awesome, I hate owning software.

Guess it's not very surprising though.

Sad

I wonder what will happen if you add subscription via Steam, while inside your existing, currently linked, YoYoGames account already has another running subscription in it. Both just run at the same time?

Well, I have a doubt/ problem now.
I've had a Creator subscription. Today I bought the Steam version.
My acounts are linked, but I don't know and didn't find how to claim to the parallel Indie subscription.
In my account page there is the option to change my subs plan but when I try it the page shows a value to be charged.
Anyone knows how can I do it?

It's actually pretty thoughtful to specify when exactly the old permanent licenses will become unavailable, so that people have last chance to grab them before they'll need to switch over to subscriptions.

Tagging @KyleRansford just in case, because they were actively interested in purchasing extra Steam licenses to get permanent versions.
(though I imagine they'd check out this topic on their own sooner or later, probably sooner)
Thank you, for the heads up. But, I'm kind of on hold now, buying the UWP module from Steam for $200, since It's being retired by GameMaker. If I decide it's what I want to use, I'll just subscribe and use an older version of GameMaker that supports it. On the other hand, would the $200 Steam UWP module purchase qualify for 2 years of a subscription?

Thank you, for the heads up. But, I'm kind of on hold now, buying the UWP module from Steam for $200, since It's being retired by GameMaker. If I decide it's what I want to use, I'll just subscribe and use an older version of GameMaker that supports it. On the other hand, would the $200 Steam UWP module purchase qualify for 2 years of a subscription?
Wasn't the UWP version removed from Steam at some point? I only see Desktop, Mobile, and Web up on Steam.

rIKmAN

Wasn't the UWP version removed from Steam at some point? I only see Desktop, Mobile, and Web up on Steam.
Yeah you're right it's no longer available on Steam, though I'm not sure of the exact date it happened.

Makes sense with it now being deprecated though, on Steam it now says:
Notice: At the request of the publisher, GameMaker Studio 2 UWP is no longer available for sale on Steam.

Yeah you're right it's no longer available on Steam, though I'm not sure of the exact date it happened.

Makes sense with it now being deprecated though, on Steam it now says:
I guess subscribing is the only option then. But, before I start subscribing, I'll need to think about it more then.

rIKmAN

I guess subscribing is the only option then. But, before I start subscribing, I'll need to think about it more then.
Assuming you already own one or more permanent licences and aren't using the free version, you should have at least 12mths free subscription time to redeem?

Just keep developing your game with your existing permanent licence and save the free sub months until you need to use it for other platform exporting/testing.

Anuj Raghav

hi,
where to contact support related to steam and yoyogames license merge issues.

i have 3 permanent modules on yoyo account ... and i also have few permanent modules on steam ...
so can i get subscription for yoyo + steam modules ...
right now when i link steam account ... it still shows subscription offer for yoyo account modules

thanks

rIKmAN

hi,
where to contact support related to steam and yoyogames license merge issues.

i have 3 permanent modules on yoyo account ... and i also have few permanent modules on steam ...
so can i get subscription for yoyo + steam modules ...
right now when i link steam account ... it still shows subscription offer for yoyo account modules

thanks
Contact them via the form here: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

Make sure you're logged in so that you can see all the options.

Anuj Raghav

ok, so finally got reply from support ..
so basically 12 month are free per license type and not the number of same license.
so if you have 1 mobile module you get 12 months , but if you have 2 mobile modules licenses you still get 12 months only and not 24 months.