• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL GameMaker Learn Page

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Are they still under review or should I resubmit my videos through the new system?
Or did they not pass the bar?
Still on my pile, but tis' a busy time of year! If you want to throw in a submission via email that will probably help move it along.

Once again @FrostyCat et al. I really do appreciate the concern and feedback (I also missed the link on the videos page, my bad). I'll continue to sort that. Thanks all!

Eyas

This is great! Looking at this as someone who hasn't spent much time on GM:S and GMS2 (since the ~8.0 days), part of me is also hoping to find "what's different?" type tutorials, e.g. I hadn't realized `instance_create` was no longer usable until I read @FrostyCat's comment. Probably not a big enough contingent to make that worthwhile on the learn page, though..

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This is great! Looking at this as someone who hasn't spent much time on GM:S and GMS2 (since the ~8.0 days), part of me is also hoping to find "what's different?" type tutorials, e.g. I hadn't realized `instance_create` was no longer usable until I read @FrostyCat's comment. Probably not a big enough contingent to make that worthwhile on the learn page, though..
Version-to-version differences are typically covered in documentation form, not in tutorial form. The Helpdesk has an article for GMS 1.4-2.x differences.

Why is it so fashionable these days to believe that all answers lie in tutorials, and forget there are such things as articles, documentation, independent thought and common sense?

Eyas

Version-to-version differences are typically covered in documentation form, not in tutorial form. The Helpdesk has an article for GMS 1.4-2.x differences.
Of course. Which is what I've used to get up to speed on GM:S 1 through 1.4, and GMS2. The article you quote was my main source of understanding the differences in GML between the two. Some people learning by doing, though (and other's learn by reading first-principles, which is fine too).

The point I was trying to make is that the magnitude of incremental differences are big enough between 8 and GM:S, 1 and 1.1, 1.1 and 1.2, etc. that reconstructing all those differences is still non-trivial. But it's definitely doable, since that's what I've done already.

Why is it so fashionable these days to believe that all answers lie in tutorials, and forget there are such things as articles, documentation, independent thought and common sense?
It's not either-or, though. We don't re-derive every principle and technique from first-order principles. Roundups of changes, abstractions that define generalized principles from a bunch of lower-level principles, etc. have been at the core of most types of education we've had since the 20th century. See for example the ICAP learning hypothesis.

But sure enough, I had already conceded that the market for people benefiting from such tutorial style is probably not big enough to warrant it.

Last edited:

Toque

Intermediate and advanced tutorials could be just written text. For a new user game developement /GMS 2 is too complicated. Video tutorials are essential.

Are there no other resources for educators/ students? Glad GM is spending some time on learning.