• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 GameMaker HTML5 Studio 1.4 to Studio 2 Changes?

Posho

When working with the HTML5 module in Studio 1.4 many of us encountered many difficulties and differences between regular Windows testing and HTML5 testing where some variable comparisons wouldn't work the same way, Draw alignments worked differently, etc.

I don't want to say these are issues, the code is just handled differently. But were there any changes for HTML5 handling in Studio 2? I looked everywhere and all I can find is Studio 1.4-related articles.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We are working to make the transition from native to HTML5 simpler, but as we go directly into JavaScript, there are things that will always be different. We'll be making a page with info on it soon.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We'll let everyone know across all social media - and here.

I post updates like this on my twitter feed as well. I've has several "large" games "just work" recently, so I'm hopeful we can get even better.

I've recently fixed buffer_base64_encode() and buffer_load_async() so it loads binary files. Lots of good things coming. :)

gnysek

If you're using GMS 1.4 EAP version, the HTML5 there is also better, as it got update to same runner version as GMS 2.0.6, with same (almost) bug fixes. It's much, much, much better now.

chmod777

We'll let everyone know across all social media - and here.

I post updates like this on my twitter feed as well. I've has several "large" games "just work" recently, so I'm hopeful we can get even better.

I've recently fixed buffer_base64_encode() and buffer_load_async() so it loads binary files. Lots of good things coming. :)
Sounds great. :)
Hope there will be a fix for audio_ functions too as we can't get sounds on browsers that don't support WebAudio (IE11...).

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
the audio_ functions require WebAudio I am afraid and we have no plans to attempt a back port to any other API as it really is just not worth it, particularly for all the features that we use... it really really needs WebAudio to function properly.

see http://caniuse.com/#search=WebAudio - IE11 only has a 3.3% global market share and Edge does support it properly.

Russell

chmod777

the audio_ functions require WebAudio I am afraid and we have no plans to attempt a back port to any other API as it really is just not worth it, particularly for all the features that we use... it really really needs WebAudio to function properly.

see http://caniuse.com/#search=WebAudio - IE11 only has a 3.3% global market share and Edge does support it properly.

Russell
But IE11 is not an obsolete browser and is still supported by Microsoft. And Edge has a 1.3% global market share, based on the same source...
I really don't see why there is no fallback to the standard Audio API (which the legacy sound_* functions used) when WebAudio is not supported... even the Drag&Drop action functions in GMS1 did that.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The audio_ API is WAY WAY more complicated than the old sound_ api and we just could not replicate it on HTML5 without the WebAudio API, I am afraid you should b*tch at MS to implement it in IE11...

Not sure they will listen to you though... or reply...

Russell

chmod777

I agree with you but for the usual audio_* functions, there should be a fallback to the closest sound_* function internally. I mean something like that:

Code:
function audio_play_sound(index, priority, loop) {
   if(!window.AudioContext && !window.webkitAudioContext) {
       if(loop) sound_loop(index);
       else sound_play(index);
   }
   else {
       // The real audio_play_sound() function with AudioContext stuff
   }
}