• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Free Edition

K

kronnik

A friend of mine is lamenting the fact that he didn't get the humble bundle. I am lamenting not buying 10 of them.

At any rate, is it worth his while to get the free version? Considering we'd both be learning (I am currently slogging through the tutorials) and nothing more, not trying to publish anything, is it worth getting the free version?

I guess another way of asking is, does the free version have the tutorials and basic game making capabilities for a true blue greener-than green beginner?

C

Caloxeno

If you are not going to publish anything, the free edition is just OK, usually you buy the Pro Edition when you want to publish :)

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Yes, consider you're both learning, and not publishing, the free ver. is good, the free version has enough capabilities to learn to work with it.

If you think you understand the basics of GameMaker and you think you're professional then buy Professional, If you think you learnt a lot and read all the manual and you're sure you mastered GameMaker then buy GameMaker Master Collection
Professional =/= good
Professional = You do it as a profession (job)

Also, you should buy GM prefesionel or masterr if you want certain features in it, not if you think you're good or bad at it, geez.

Last edited:
N

NPT

A friend of mine is lamenting the fact that he didn't get the humble bundle. I am lamenting not buying 10 of them.

At any rate, is it worth his while to get the free version? Considering we'd both be learning (I am currently slogging through the tutorials) and nothing more, not trying to publish anything, is it worth getting the free version?

I guess another way of asking is, does the free version have the tutorials and basic game making capabilities for a true blue greener-than green beginner?
http://www.yoyogames.com/get

Look up the features you get or don't get on the feature chart.

If you think you understand the basics of GameMaker and you think you're professional then buy Professional, If you think you learnt a lot and read all the manual and you're sure you mastered GameMaker then buy GameMaker Master Collection
This has to be one of the worst pieces of advice given on these forums.

You buy Professional if there are features you want or need that are unavailable in Free and you can justify the cost.

You buy Master Collection if the total cost of exports you need or anticipate you will need is greater than the cost of Master Collection.

Buying Professional or Master Collection because you think you're Professional or Mastered it is ludicrous.

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Don't worry too much. The free edition is fine (especially when compared to the free editions of past Game Maker versions)

Anyway, this wasn't even the first GM:S Humble Bundle, and I highly doubt it'll be the last

S

StuffandThings85

The free version is still the 'full' program, you just can't export it to anything besides Windows OS and you can't sell your games on the marketplace. The pro and master collection are mainly for the export modules.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
and you can't sell your games on the marketplace.
It's not like there aren't other options, though~

I'd definitely get the Standard edition even if registering and stuff can be a hassle - the Lite version is too limited to do anything serious in, and the Standard version gives you access to more or less all features you'll be interested in if you're just learning for the reasonable price of nothing. It's a huge step up from old free versions that locked out features like rotation and alpha blending :p