• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Gamemaker for Mac

B

bko376

I purchased Gamemaker for Mac in January of 2014. It worked fine at that time. After updating my mac, it does not work. It asks for the license key, which I am able to enter. I get a warning that says it is not optimized for the mac, and that it needs updated by its developer.

I don't suppose there is any way to update GM for Mac?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
GM:Mac was discontinued in 2016, it will not be updated anymore. It was developed in the 32-bit binary era, so it would inevitably give the "not optimized" error message starting with Mojave, and stop working entirely with Catalina. Your purchase should be considered a write-off at this point.

The current GMS 2 has a Mac version of the IDE now, so you can get that if you like. But with no fewer than 4 major shuffles in the GM ecosystem since GM7, you should NOT expect to continue as-is with any of your existing GM:Mac projects --- all of them will likely be near-total rewrites.

B

bko376

Thank you for the info @FrostyCat

Any thoughts on how stable GMS will be in the future? I have been using GM on and off for about 15 years! I'm hoping if I get GMS I will be good to go.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
GMS 2 will likely be usable for at least a few years, though if your previous background is all the way from GM:Mac, you will likely have to relearn a lot of material.