• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Gamemaker changes starting room

So this is kind of fixed but in a dumb way. So I had my game up and running, everything fine. I saved it, and turned off my computer. Came back a week later, all I got was a grey screen. Couldnt do anything. I made a new room, set it as the defailt room, still grey screen. I put it in debug mode and found out there were 5 block objects present (which are invisible for tilesets). I added a draw event to the block to tell me what room I was in, and it was a placeholder room that I hand filled yet (but had been working fine before). I deleted it and tried again, this time it gave me an error once it started saying it was looking for an object not there.
Pretty much Gamemaker decided that it wanted to change what the starting room was and not let me change it. I "fixed" this by emptying the room it was going to, and pretty much remade it into the title screen. It works now, but I still cant technically change what the starting room is. Like I said, it worked perfect before. I usually start a new programming session by running the game, and making sure it works. Any idea what happened?

curato

Sounds like the room order might have been off. You should check that from the quick access menu on the side or clicking next to the room where you get the up down arrows

Sounds like the room order might have been off. You should check that from the quick access menu on the side or clicking next to the room where you get the up down arrows
I can change it in game maker all I want, but it will always go back to the same room. I have no way of changing what it starts on.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If this is 2.3+ then you have to specifically designate the start room. It is no longer the first room in the asset browser (since rooms can now be mixed with other assets and in any order in the browser). See here for more information:

If this is 2.3+ then you have to specifically designate the start room. It is no longer the first room in the asset browser (since rooms can now be mixed with other assets and in any order in the browser). See here for more information:
Yes, I know this. I have the little house next to it and everything. It still goes to the same room regardless of what I change. I can create a blank room thats empty and set it as the start room and it will go to the same room.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Have you cleared the compiler cache? The "broom" icon at the top does that... A stale cache is often the cause of many weird issues like this! If the issue persists try exporting the project as a YYZ, then re-importing and saving it to a new location with a new name. This should also "clean" the base files and may help resolve the issue. If nothing works, I would make a YYZ of the project and file a bug with YYG so they can see what's happening and help you out.