• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android GameMaker 2 Android custom icons are not being displayed!

M

MadRabbit

I am using GameMaker 2. I have android export set up and working using VM. (YYC doesn't work for me) My app works but the icon is the default gamemaker icon. I have added a custom icon for all icon sizes in General settings -> Android -> icons. When I create an executable .apk file and install it on my phone the icon is the default GameMaker icon. This is very frustrating because I paid $400 dollars for GameMaker 2 Mobile and cannot even get rid of the default icon. WHAT DID I PAY FOR??

Edit: Some possible solutions I have tried are cleaning the solution via the brush button, and compiling using YYC instead of VM. I have now successfully compile with YYC but the icon is still the default.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi there! I've not seen this issue before, so I'd suggest first of all that you file a bug with a link to the project showing the issue... then there are a few things that you can try to fix this. The first is to simply clear the asset cache (clicking the "broom" icon at the top of the IDE) and seeing if that refreshes the icons. The next thing to do is go into the Project directory and check the Icons are actually saved correctly. You can open the project from the Help > Open In Explorer option, and then browse to the section of the project: options\android\icons

If the icons are all saved correctly in that location then it might be worth checking your icon formats against those of the official runtime. You can get the base icons used to build all your projects from the current runtime Android folder. On my PC this is located at: &programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.297\android\runner\ProjectFiles\src\main\res\ Check your own icons against the ones found there to make sure they are the same format. You could back those up too and then edit them directly in that folder, but note that this will affect ALL builds of ALL projects!!!! So only do this if you really must export with icons now and can't wait for a few days until support gets back to you.

M

MarceloP

I'm facing the same problem.

When exporting to Android, using API 28, after setting all icons from ldpi to xxxdpi, I still get the default icon of GMS2 in all of our test devices. I'm compiling with YYC and have also tried VM.
In fact, I've not set any of the adaptive icons but, as far as I know, they're not strictly necessary to be set, right? There should be a checkbox in the adaptive icons configuration labeled as "Use adaptive Icons".

It really seems that it's using the adaptive one, ignoring my dpi based icons.

----- Edited -----
"&programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-.2.2.297\android\runner\ProjectFiles\src\main\res\"

This folder only shows those adaptive icons from GMS2

M

MarceloP

Sorry for the double post. I tried everything by cleaning, re-setting all icons in the dpi based icon tab, cleaning the cache, uninstalling the game from the device and re-installing it, YYC and VM. Everything I can think of.

It's pretty frustrating to need something so simple working as expected. "No Adaptive Icons? Fine, use the normal ones."
As always that had to be "work-arounded", since something so simple will probably take ages to be changed/fixed.

@MadRabbit to fix for a specific deploy, do as follows:

1 - Go to the path: "%programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-.2.2.297\android\runner\ProjectFiles\src\main\res\", as suggested by @Nocturne
2 - Copy the following folders to a backup folder of yours: https://imgur.com/a/5HsNgHV
3 - In GMS2, select the deploy platform and click in the clear button (confirm the cleaning in console).
4 - Back in that path's folder, enter each one of those folders and delete everything (6 of them should have 3 files, and 1 should have only one file).
5 - Copy for each dpi folder, the corresponding dpi image you want, changing it's name to icon.png
6 - The "drawable-hdpi" folder can receive the same image as on "drawable-hdpi-v26"
7 - Deploy your apk
8 - Roll back you backup, if you whish.

Hope this helps those other helpless people trying to reach their deadlines and facing such inexplicable problems that come from nowhere in GMS2.
Thanks @Nocturne for the leading folder.

Japster

....Hope this helps those other helpless people trying to reach their deadlines and facing such inexplicable problems that come from nowhere in GMS2.
Thanks @Nocturne for the leading folder.
Mate! - and of course @Nocturne - Thank you so much for this info / workaround!

I am STILL having the exact same problem - I can't generate adaptive icons, as I'm using source control, and get a weird error - thought it might be to do with spaces in the path, but nope, moved project, same issue...

Also tried moving the source images into the project etc, as I was getting this error:-

"fatal: C:\GMS: 'C:\GMS' is outside repository"

The root folder for my projects was "GMS Projects", so I replaced the space with an underscore - same issue... Simply won't work. The irony is that it still PRODUCED these images (I checked, and they're actually built, in my project), but just completely ignores them when building...

Anyway, 2 things...

1) Yoyo? - It's a bit **** that this is STILL not working correctly, and needs all manner of fudging to actually do what should be a 10 second automated task. Not impressed....

2) @Nocturne @MarceloP - You guys are legends! - I was beyond frustrated with this :mad: - (I've also got the correct logos etc, all in place, and completely ignored by GMS' android builder...) ...so THANK YOU!

Also, just to add - when adding a reasonably-sized .ico to your HTML5 project, THAT's also screwed, by the looks of it... 32px etc show fine, but if I add a basic 128px, 512px, etc .ICO, that works fine everywhere else, the colours are screwed - seems to be a channel issue.

Also tried different source images, and producing one using the popular online favicon tool, and same thing - a normally coloured .ICO, is shown as some weirdly different hued version. I'm going to see if it's actually wrong in the resulting build, as opposed to just inside the IDE....

1662811750400.png

Another example:-

1662811848974.png

They should look like this!:-

1662811928795.png

PS - To those about to say, "have you tried the latest build?" - (2022.8.0.50, which admittedly has a huge number of fixes!) - Yep, I tried it. IT completely broke my HTML5 collision - I'm smashing into thin air, between 2 objects (works fine in 2022.5.0.8) - I'll add debug code when I get a chance, to see what's happening, but no, at present, I daren't 'upgrade' - especially as it breaks the legacy format for anything opened in it..... argh...

Last edited: