• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED game_id

Neptune

I did read the manual šŸ˜œ
How is appending a 0 going to make my file names unique among two projects?

My original question still stands too.

chamaeleon

If game_id is supposed to return the Project GUID in Main Options, it is failing miserably at its job. Seems like a bug one way or the other. Either it's not returning that string value, or it represents a value that has no edit box to set it to something else. Bug report time...

Edit: Unless it's supposed to be the value of the Steam ID box of course, but the documentation does not make that clear at all.

If game_id is supposed to return the Project GUID in Main Options, it is failing miserably at its job. Seems like a bug one way or the other. Either it's not returning that string value, or it represents a value that has no edit box to set it to something else. Bug report time...
You have to generate it in the game options, so the box is there.
...But it doesn't work.
Now I don't know if it's the keyword that<s broken, or the GUID is never assigned to the app. There would be a way to test it with an app to see if GUIDs match, tho.

chamaeleon

You have to generate it in the game options, so the box is there.
...But it doesn't work.
Now I don't know if it's the keyword that<s broken, or the GUID is never assigned to the app. There would be a way to test it with an app to see if GUIDs match, tho.
If it's supposed to be a GUID, the example code from the manual
GML:
ini_write_real("Scores","0",score + game_id);
does not make much sense. score is presumably a number, and you can't add a number to a string, and you can't "on reading it back into the game you would deduct the game_id" by performing subtraction. You'd need to use string copy to get part of the string and call real() on the result. All in all, the variable is poorly documented.

If it's supposed to be a GUID, the example code from the manual
GML:
ini_write_real("Scores","0",score + game_id);
does not make much sense. score is presumably a number, and you can't add a number to a string, and you can't "on reading it back into the game you would deduct the game_id" by performing subtraction. You'd need to use string copy to get part of the string and call real() on the result. All in all, the variable is poorly documented.
Well, from what I can gather it's either the GUID or the Steam ID. But It wouldn't make much sense to return the Steam ID if steam is not enabled, so Im not 100% sure.
Either way, I'm pretty sure it always returns 0 no matter what you do.