• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Game Won't Start with gamepad connected

O

Overbound

I recently added gamepad support to my game. For a while it seemed to work flawlessly but tonight I found when I complied the game it would not launch when my Xbox 360 controller was connected to the PC. I'm running the game on Windows 10 and just using the standard gamepad inputs and axis functions.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? If so how did you solve it?

O

Overbound

Just a bit more info that I've discovered. This issue reoccurs every few hours of development and is fixed by restarting my computer. But that's problematic especially if it carries over into the compiled game. I've also noticed a general slow down in the game when I used gamepads that I think may be connected.

W

Wintermute()

what are you using to add gamepad support - a script (which one) or did you write your own ?

It might also be a problem with your computer. Maybe try and send the .exe or a .gmz to another person to test themselves. Could even be a problem with the controller you're using. Do you have another one you can test?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Are you using the gamepad functions or the joystick ones? Issues like slowdown are most definitely associated with the joystick functions, but the gamepad ones should work fine and have no problems (I use them all the time). It could also be something with your machine so do as @stainedofmind says and share your game with a couple of other people for them to test too.