• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Game won't run on game maker studio 2[Solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Artwark

I'm having an issues that when I press the play button, the game I made won't run nor will it show any errors.

I'm using steam to run game maker studio 2. How to fix this issue?

F

FrankD

I am having the same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled GM2. It wont even run the GM project that Yoyo sells on the their marketplace. There are no errors when trying to run. It just Saves the project and then sits there

Update: I noticed a message to update my Runtime. I did this and now this is the error I get

Saving project to: D:\Sync\GM_Projects\GM_RPG\GM_RPG.yyp
open_prefs_tree:Configuration Problem : Steamworks SDK install not found, check your Preferences.
FAILED: Run Program Complete

N

nicktheslayer95

I've got a similar issue. I'm not running the game on steam, and I've fixed this before by hunting down errors in my code, but I can't seem to find this one. It doesn't say what object or script is involved either.

Edit:

I have a bad habit is putting semicolons after checking variables.

Code:
if variable == 0;
I removed the semicolon from the code, and the game runs again.

A

Artwark

I'm still having issues even after fixing the errors....pls help.

sylvain_l

@Artwark at end of compile have you a FAILED or a SUCCESS: Run Program Complete ?

if success, I think of 2 ways to make game success compile but not really starting:
have you any spine animation in your project ?
(yesterday I play a bit with a bad dragonbones export in an old spine json format and try to still have an object in my starting room with the non-working spine sprite anim - there was only an error message at import of the spine skelethal anim, nothing at compile and run time. So the game wasn't starting without any error message). Same apply if you use any extension that can crash silently the game at startup

also you don't have a game_end() in a create event ? (in that last case you should see a window that open and close in a flash)

A

Artwark

@Artwark at end of compile have you a FAILED or a SUCCESS: Run Program Complete ?

if success, I think of 2 ways to make game success compile but not really starting:
have you any spine animation in your project ?
(yesterday I play a bit with a bad dragonbones export in an old spine json format and try to still have an object in my starting room with the non-working spine sprite anim - there was only an error message at import of the spine skelethal anim, nothing at compile and run time. So the game wasn't starting without any error message). Same apply if you use any extension that can crash silently the game at startup

also you don't have a game_end() in a create event ? (in that last case you should see a window that open and close in a flash)
No I don't have a game_end() in the create event.

I'm doing the first GM code tutorial that GMS2 offers. As for failed or success, neither of them show up whenever I press the play button.

sylvain_l

I'm doing the first GM code tutorial that GMS2 offers. As for failed or success, neither of them show up whenever I press the play button
what's written in your output window in the bottom (in case you closed it; top menu->Windows->Output - but even closed, GMS2 should automatically reoppen it in a dialog box in your workspace/or in the tab in the bottom)

way I see the output window doesn't end with the failed/success line; it's because the game is running^^
(by default GMS2 center the game window, so you should see it. if not in fullscreen mode; are you using something else than the window_center() to place the window and you accidently place the game window outside the screen^^ You should still be able to see the game running in the taskmanager)

else most of case it should end with a failed and instead of showing the output tab, you shoud have the compile error with the errors (most of time some malformed statement or an unknown function, etc... with the lines where errors occur; if you closed the compile error it won't show up automatically you'll have to reopen it with ->windows->compile errors)

p.s.
are you using the trial or the full version ? (but as far as I know the basic yoyo tutorials are so they fit in the trial limitations; so you should be able to run the project in any case)
what's the last change you have done before the run stop working ?

M

Mania

I'm suffering from the same issue. Nothing will run on GMS2 (Steam). At the very first time it says Saving Project but then nothing.

A few months back I imported a GMS1 project successfully and ran it. Haven't tried it since. I was hoping that maybe GMS2 would fix this recent bug that was caused by Windows 10 update.

M

Machu

I too, am unable to run my project or a sample project. Or build an executable. Using the sample project, the "Output" window says absolutely nothing when I try to run it, and when I try to build it as a zip, it asks where to save it, but then does nothing, not even in the "Output" window. Except when I click stop, it says "---- STOPPING ----". I just tried it with my own project, trying to build an executable. It says "Saving project to: C:\Users\etc\etc.yyp" and does nothing forever.

I'd sure love to use this program ever again.

EDIT: Seemed to be fixed by updating the runtime. That's not automatic. On the launch page, there was a message in the corner saying something like "new runtime feed from master!" And I clicked on it. It takes you to a Preferences option titled Runtime Feeds : Master. Download the newest one, and double-click it to restart the IDE with it. I guess I gotta get used to updating the program manually.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Artwark

So now I try it on and it says that the session expired and now the software won't even load....

Does Yoyogames have customer service?

R

Retroid

Runtime file wouldn't show until I showed myself online and relogged in, seems to be another issue with the Steam intergration.

A

Artwark

Please help...I even tried contacting yoyogames for the issue but even they also didn't reply for a while now...

A

Artwark

what's written in your output window in the bottom (in case you closed it; top menu->Windows->Output - but even closed, GMS2 should automatically reoppen it in a dialog box in your workspace/or in the tab in the bottom)

way I see the output window doesn't end with the failed/success line; it's because the game is running^^
(by default GMS2 center the game window, so you should see it. if not in fullscreen mode; are you using something else than the window_center() to place the window and you accidently place the game window outside the screen^^ You should still be able to see the game running in the taskmanager)

else most of case it should end with a failed and instead of showing the output tab, you shoud have the compile error with the errors (most of time some malformed statement or an unknown function, etc... with the lines where errors occur; if you closed the compile error it won't show up automatically you'll have to reopen it with ->windows->compile errors)

p.s.
are you using the trial or the full version ? (but as far as I know the basic yoyo tutorials are so they fit in the trial limitations; so you should be able to run the project in any case)
what's the last change you have done before the run stop working ?
I got it as a gift from my brother on steam. The issue is that nothing appears as soon as I press the play button. I mean even if there are errors on the code, it should be able to tell me so but I have no issues with that because again, I'm doing the exact same code as the one on the tutorials.

sylvain_l

which tutorial ?

is it stuck at the saving phase (on top right it show a progess bar with caption "saving" and not progessing) ?

which version are you using? (at top right: there is a IDE v2.0.7.171 Runtime v2.0.7.110 ? that are the last version, perhaps version are different for steam :?)

let's check if your installation work first :
test running an empty project (file-> new project and hit the run button). Does it compile and show an empty black windows) and check that the running empty game window isn't behind the IDE in case (you should see a 2nd game maker icon in the task bar)

A

Artwark

Its solved. Somehow an update fixed my issues with GMS2. Thanks for your help though!

E

EmotionalRobot

I am having the same issue. Did anyone figure out the problem? I have been trying to run/play some demos, but nothing seems to work.

E

EmotionalRobot

EDIT: Seemed to be fixed by updating the runtime. That's not automatic. On the launch page, there was a message in the corner saying something like "new runtime feed from master!" And I clicked on it. It takes you to a Preferences option titled Runtime Feeds : Master. Download the newest one, and double-click it to restart the IDE with it. I guess I gotta get used to updating the program manually.
How would I be able to do that?

A

Agent 101

I had the same problem recently. It seems that sometimes the code itself will not work even when there are no errors in the box. Just try editing or temporarily deleting what you aren't absolutely sure works in recent objects.

P

PoPo stands for police

Hello! I just started using Game maker, and I think it's amazing! But when I try to run my game, I get this message (I'm doing it on a MacBook Air):

Saving project to: /Users/User/GameMakerStudio2/Test game project 2.0/Test game project 2.0.yyp
"/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono" /Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.1.3.189/bin/Igor.exe -options="/var/folders/8z/d4vhdlcd7y19rsrd9z25t0xm0000gp/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/build.bff" -- Mac Run

Do you have ANYTHING than can help me?

D

DodgeTv

Hello. I have the same issue too but cant see someones logs with the following line:

[Run] Run game // okay until now i think
Options: Z:\TheTextGam_BB802C58_8FF98788\MainOptions.json
C:\Users\Iven\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\TheTextGame_A694906_VM\Runner.exe -game "C:\Users\Iven\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\TheTextGame_A694906_VM\TheTextGame.win"
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device

The only line of code is the following:

while(true)
{

var HudGlowFight = 1;

draw_self();

if(HudGlowFight == 1)

{
draw_set_alpha(0);
}

else
{
draw_set_alpha(255);
}
}

Everything is fine but the window wont open. My computer is getting much slower when i run it so he have to do just something in the background.
Also when i try to run it again the program says that i have to stop the current run.

Hope its been useful enough to fix this issue/Bug(?) ^^

Hello. I have the same issue too but cant see someones logs with the following line:

[Run] Run game // okay until now i think
Options: Z:\TheTextGam_BB802C58_8FF98788\MainOptions.json
C:\Users\Iven\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\TheTextGame_A694906_VM\Runner.exe -game "C:\Users\Iven\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\TheTextGame_A694906_VM\TheTextGame.win"
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device

The only line of code is the following:

while(true)
{
var HudGlowFight = 1;

draw_self();

if(HudGlowFight == 1)

{
draw_set_alpha(0);
}

else
{
draw_set_alpha(255);
}
}

Everything is fine but the window wont open. My computer is getting much slower when i run it so he have to do just something in the background.
Also when i try to run it again the program says that i have to stop the current run.

Hope its been useful enough to fix this issue/Bug(?) ^^
Your problem is not the same as the others. Yours is an infinite loop that you have put into your game.

While(true) will mean that this loop will always run, and processing will never get out of that loop, which is why you just get a black screen. Get rid of that loop and then sort out what you are actually wanting to do.

R

Robert Mootrey

I did the tutorial exactly on how I was supposed to, and I get this when I try to run it,
"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.2190125s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 11/04/2018 19:44:11
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.0.258"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0180011s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.0.258" started at 11/04/2018 19:44:12
Saving project to: C:\Users\(username)\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\My First Game - Code Tutorial\My First Game - Code Tutorial.yyp

and nothing happens. Is there a way to fix this?

T

tobo

I get the same problem routinely. If you do aswell, make sure you keep tabs on what you're editing. When it happens, try commenting out blocks of code you've added since you started working and running the game. That way you can find the culprit code causing the error. As for the cause of the error, it's always different for me. Sometimes I did like nicktheslayer and put a semicolon after an if statement, but sometimes using native functions messes it up, which is puzzling and frustrating.

It kinda sucks that the compiler sometimes just suddenly stops warning you about faulty code. But I guess it forces you to work securely or smth...

M

Miracle_Zingzy

I have the same problem, when I try to run the project, it comes up with this in the output and the tab doesn't come up.
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:03.8715165s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -- Windows Run started at 04/06/2019 20:51:45
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

Edit:

I'm doing the space rocks tutorial in drag and drop.

B

Blue_Striped_Cat

Hey, so im current doing a tutorial on make space rocks and at some point I would run the my game and it output this:

Code:
"cmd"  /c subst Z: "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0584413s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 04/14/2019 15:56:56
"cmd"  /c subst Y: "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0659618s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 04/14/2019 15:56:56
"cmd"  /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0639628s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326" started at 04/14/2019 15:56:56
Saving project to: C:\Users\admin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Trial_2\Trial_2.yyp
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe"  -j=8 -options="C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Trial_2_FC35C0F0\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\samuelkoduah98_1968134\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Trial_2_FC35C0F0\targetoptions.json
Reading project file....C:\Users\admin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Trial_2
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Trial_2\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
Error : object obj_ship uses sprite spr_ship which is not being exported
finished.

Release build
OptionsIni
Options: Z:/Trial_2_FC35C0F0\PlatformOptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
Reading project file....C:\Users\admin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Trial_2
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\admin\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Trial_2\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
Error : object obj_ship uses sprite spr_ship which is not being exported
finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... Y:/Trial_2_4C2D6BCE_VM\Trial_2.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Error : sprite "spr_ship" has been used but is marked for no export
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=667.9081
Stats : GMA : sp=6,au=0,bk=1,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=4,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=15,fm=0x200000000000

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:03.6196953s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run started at 04/14/2019 15:56:56
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0619637s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 04/14/2019 15:56:59
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0779545s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 04/14/2019 15:56:59
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0739584s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 04/14/2019 15:57:00
There are no errors that I know of and i was wondering if there was a way to fix this and continue with my tutorial?

There are no errors that I know of and i was wondering if there was a way to fix this and continue with my tutorial?
Really? Not even this one:
Code:
Error : sprite "spr_ship" has been used but is marked for no export
I'm not at my GMS machine at the moment so can't check how you might have set the sprite to not be exportable, but having a skim of the manual it might be in the included files settings.

B

Blue_Striped_Cat

BaBiA Game Studio
its just as you said, somehow my sprites export was disabled. in fixing it, my problem was solved
Thankyou

C

Cyclops

i cant run my games even if it has just a single line of code but when i was downloading the game when i was in the program it wanted to download something else and i clicked "no". But im thinking because when you run the game a seperate window opens up. Did i without knowing uninstall the program that runs the games? i have redownlaoded the game countless times but it dosent appear again. i am worrying that i have 💩💩💩💩ed myself permenantly by doing this. any help? ps i am on mac

T

TigerKing824

Hi!
I don't know if this is the right place to write this, but I'm new to gamemaker and whenever I try to run my space rocks code It always say this:
elapsed time 00:00:00.0574760s for command "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono" /Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.2.5.378/bin/Igor.exe -j=8 -options="/var/folders/g5/mc26s2450sx2g57ndw7nm7vc0000gp/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/build.bff" -v -- Mac Run started at 08/07/2020 11:51:34
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.

There is nothing in the compile errors window, so I don't know what the problem is. I am on a mac, and I am using the trial, so does that have anything to do with it?

Ippon

How was this solved?!? If I load a brand new game and click play straight away it doesn't compile and gives me the error

For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.

There are no errors in compile errors. I also have the latest runtime version. So not sure why I cannot even get game maker working?
Thanks.

Also i'm running it on a mac

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
How was this solved?!? If I load a brand new game and click play straight away it doesn't compile and gives me the error

There are no errors in compile errors. I also have the latest runtime version. So not sure why I cannot even get game maker working?
Thanks.

Also i'm running it on a mac
The original poster has his problem solved. He has every right to have it marked solved. Your problem is a completely different one. Just because there is one symptom in common, it does not mean it is the same.

If you are using the Mac export, you must follow the setup instructions for Mac OS, in particular the part about installing XCode and Mono. This is something that a lot of rookies these days forget to do, and when that happens, the build fails right away.

Next time you have a problem, DO NOT ask for help by saying "me too" and bumping up old topics that don't belong to you. Start your own topic.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Aaand since this topic has been necro'd and hijacked multiple times over three years now... I'll lock it to make sure that won't happen again.

If you came here via a Google search and think that you have a problem similar to this... please post your own topic. In general, whenever you have a problem... post your own topic! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.